• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Voice Actor Chris Thurman Admits to Sending Nude Photos to Minor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Pretty much. Here we have someone who admits it is true, says he accepts the consequences, and also says not to blame anyone else because they couldn't have known. In that regard, it's basically the total opposite situation. But a "Funimation bad" narrative gets more attention than an almost totally unknown actor admitting he did something wrong.

I disagree. I think it's perfectly fine for a company to be held responsible for the actions of an employee, especially if it's the second, third, or fourth time an employee of said company has been outed which can easily lead to questions of why it seems to happen so much in an organization. We've seen it with Method, we've seen it with Rooster Teeth, we've seen it with even non-organized groups like "the Smash Bros community'. If there's a common tie to a bunch of abuse, especially an organization that either willfully ignores them or is simply so negligent that it's a routine problem, I see no harm in pointing it out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
if he were an employee, then yeah, that would make sense.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Forgive me for stating the obvious but isn't this literally a crime he should be charged with? Sending obscene photos to a minor?

Yes it would be a crime. I think it might be considered a form of lewd exhibition towards a minor.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
“Funimation! You should be watching us more closely behind the scenes.”
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Why am I seeing people on Twitter claiming that “Funimation harbored a pedophile but fired Vic” when no one at Funimation even knows what their actors do outside of work.

Funimation fired one creep, so they're hypocrites for firing another creep?

I don't get that line of reasoning.

Also, attention guys: Almost nobody wants to see your dick. Certainly not minors. I don't know who you think is craving dick pics, but I haven't met them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I get a feeling Funimation had no idea on this creep. Some people hide this type of behavior very well. They seem normal on the outside, yet inside they're monsters. So if that's the case, Funi probably will be changing some policies when hiring their actors.

That being said, him admitting all this now makes me wonder if he doesn't have a case coming against him and he decided to go public before the FBI or whomever has the case does first. He wanted his story out before they would go into the big details. There's a lot of red flags here.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Gentlemen, if for some reason you feel as if you absolutely, positively HAVE to show off your penis to complete strangers, that's what OnlyFans is for.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Gentlemen, if for some reason you feel as if you absolutely, positively HAVE to show off your penis to complete strangers, that's what OnlyFans is for.

That wouldn't have made it any less illegal, and it would not be a safeguard that prevents minors from seeing it.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad he admitted to it if only so it won't turn into an overly drawn out public mess that would just harm those who came forward even more, and those who are actually involved (authorities, his employers, etc...) can continue with whatever course of action is needed. It really did not sit right with me that someone just posted all this evidence online without at least letting the victims know in advance. I really hope they are doing okay.

Literally have no idea who this guy is at all, seems like he mostly did one-off roles/additional voices.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Why does this keep happening!?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation fired one creep, so they're hypocrites for firing another creep?

I don't get that line of reasoning.

Also, attention guys: Almost nobody wants to see your dick. Certainly not minors. I don't know who you think is craving dick pics, but I haven't met them.

That nobody wants to see your dick reminds me of the webshow WTFIWWY.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:

Cause people are stupid. And some guys can not keep it in their pants.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Oh man, they'd better not have to recast Male Soldier 1A in any possible Kemono Michi sequel, or I'll be so mad. No doubt my favorite anti-industry outrage merchants on YouTube are already selling "#IStandWithChris" mugs and t-shirts as we speak to righteously combat this gross injustice!

theNightster wrote:
Why am I seeing people on Twitter claiming that “Funimation harbored a pedophile but fired Vic” when no one at Funimation even knows what their actors do outside of work.

Conspiratorial thinking against Funimation always draws those sweet clicks, subscribes, retweets, and donations from the masses who already hate Funi and want to justify boycotting pirating their products.

Pretty much. Here we have someone who admits it is true, says he accepts the consequences, and also says not to blame anyone else because they couldn't have known. In that regard, it's basically the total opposite situation. But a "Funimation bad" narrative gets more attention than an almost totally unknown actor admitting he did something wrong.

The conditions around him being exposed are super suspect too. I'm not saying he didn't do it or that anyone involved is lying, but the way he was described as a Funimation voice actor when he's a freelancer (like all voice actors) who has done a bunch of bit parts; how people jumped on Lynzee when she asked if there was anyone she could talk to for more information; the initial post using Discord logs without permission from eitherparty; and the way the chuds started to crow about how this is further proof that all male feminists are secretly predators makes me think this was done to hurt Funimation's image and feed into their conspiracy theories than to help anyone or remove a predator from the community.

Which, gross. Just gross. Everything about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Silasa00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:

Human's are complex creatures with a really complicated relationship with sex. There is something about sex that just seems to destroy people's better judgments. It happens in any job but is especially easy to see when your job brings you closer to the public eye like that of an entertainment worker. That said, I don't think it's right to hold the entire company responsible for what one of their workers does in their privacy. Unless the issue was happening within the company itself like Vic's, or with someone at the very top with actual control in the company, they have little to no connection to it. It's rather ridiculous to me to expect Funimation (or any company for that matter) to completely redub or cancel a production just because one guy did a bad thing on his own time. It's not fair to the rest of the workers. I do appreciate that this guy at least owned up to his misdoings and explained himself. It's no excuse for what he did, but it's a step in the right direction.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
The conditions around him being exposed are super suspect too. I'm not saying he didn't do it or that anyone involved is lying, but the way he was described as a Funimation voice actor when he's a freelancer (like all voice actors) who has done a bunch of bit parts; how people jumped on Lynzee when she asked if there was anyone she could talk to for more information; the initial post using Discord logs without permission from eitherparty; and the way the chuds started to crow about how this is further proof that all male feminists are secretly predators makes me think this was done to hurt Funimation's image and feed into their conspiracy theories than to help anyone or remove a predator from the community.

You're talking like that isn't common in every news story. There's a reason reporters and commenters bring up the race, political affiliation, religion, or financial ties of people involved in criminal or otherwise naughty activités. It's entirely to paint a specific association and narrative. As if to encourage people to say "oh, of course he did it, he's ____, no surprise there!" So, yes, I would not be surprised if people purposely add in a bunch of prefixes to this incident. I mean, the fact you yourself specifically say it's only "chuds" doing things is another example of this. Because the only people who would apparently link a voice actor to a company they did business with are all from specific group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4