• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KonradWerner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he did Lina dirty. In fact, he was incredibly lenient. This is foreign agent, operating in Japan without any authorization from local goverment. USA doesn't even care to warn Japan about danger to their citizens the parasytes create. And on top of that Lina actually was willing to kill him just for discovering her identity? In reality he was the one who was fully in his right to just terminate her.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
So you need at minimum of a year from a 16-17 year old that you also need to be at graduate level academic knowledge in her field. That isn't reasonable. Something had to go. You can disagree with where they cut the corners, but you're being unreasonable.

Bringing back to Key's point, though: anime routinely features underaged characters that you have to have some suspension of disbelief for. My point is that military training is equivalent to shaving off a year. Claiming that it is unreasonable to expect that that could happen is equivalent to saying that you'd find a 15-16 year old magic prodigy unreasonable, but not a 16-17 year old one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
im more surprised aniplex haven't given this entire series an english dub version considering how popular it is and how good the two siblings are chemistry wise. litterately screaming selector infected/spread wixoss dub casting if funi were to ever dub this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
^
I don't think I'd call the connection Tatsuya and Miyuki have going on "chemistry."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You guys are overthinking this way too much.

This is anime. Teenagers having levels of skills, powers, training, and responsibility implausible for their age is par for the course, and you'll drive yourself batty trying to come up with justifications for it. Just grit your teeth, accept it at face value, and move on.

I mean, I do think that there could be some critique to be had if a large number of people find it unbelievable. In this particular case, seems like the groundwork for Lina may not be as established as Tatsuya for some people.

Granted, i'm still unsure if i should watch this show. I admit i'm on the periphery about this show. I like technical systems of magic but I feel Tatsuya could be a giant detriment to my enjoyment. What doesn't help is the fact a friend of mine who reads the LNs say that the anime omits a lot of details and what not that could possibly help with Tatsuya's characterization
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
@Richard
The bit about him not using Gram Demolition was actually a mistranslation, because he did use it, but ultimately was frustrated of the fact of his inability to destroy the parasite and only could blow it away to keep it from harming his friends.

Also I disagree about the explanation being to complicated. I greatly appreciate the level of detail the author goes into for science and magic explanations and its one of the ways the series stands out from others of the magic school genre. People just really need to pay close attention, cause over simplifying the explanations kills some of the magic(pun intended) the series provides.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
Also I disagree about the explanation being to complicated. I greatly appreciate the level of detail the author goes into for science and magic explanations and its one of the ways the series stands out from others of the magic school genre. People just really need to pay close attention, cause over simplifying the explanations kills some of the magic(pun intended) the series provides.

While the technical detail on how things work is the major attracting factor this series has for me, even I was rolling my eyes over that scene by the end. The series (or at least the anime version, anyway) has always struggled to find a smooth way to do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
T.Silver wrote:

While the technical detail on how things work is the major attracting factor this series has for me, even I was rolling my eyes over that scene by the end. The series (or at least the anime version, anyway) has always struggled to find a smooth way to do this.
To be fair, they are trying. The explanations may seem to be long winded for you guys, but they are significantly trimmed and shortened compared to how they are in the novels. Mahouka is a very difficult series to adapt primarily for how technical the books are(the author even once said he thought it'd be impossible when they announced the first season). You leave in to much it hurts the pacing, but if you cut to much you loose out on a lot of important details. Finding the balance would be very difficult imo.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The simple solution is read the novels and then watch the anime. Wink The novels provide the necessary detail that can be absorbed, or skimmed, and additional character information. The anime provides sound color and movement. A match made in heaven (well Japan actually, not quite the same thing). Seriously, that procedure works well with this series as the anime is rather true to the novels which isn't necessarily true with all series.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The simple solution is read the novels and then watch the anime. Wink The novels provide the necessary detail that can be absorbed, or skimmed, and additional character information. The anime provides sound color and movement. A match made in heaven (well Japan actually, not quite the same thing). Seriously, that procedure works well with this series as the anime is rather true to the novels which isn't necessarily true with all series.

That sounds like a failing in adaptation if you have to read the novel to understand the anime. I feel the anime should stand on its own

As for the overly technical writing, I have some mixed thought on it. I love technical writing but I've noticed after i've tried getting into writing that most professional works that aren't LNs actaully advice against overly technical writing because it grinds the pace down and makes the prose dry.

In fact, what most people i've talked to suggest focusing on is character writing which it seems Irregular still has some issues with given Tatsuya and Lina.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh I totally missed that this was back on the air, was expecting it on CR not Funimation.
Really wish they kept their partnership going but alas.

On a positive note one more series for me to watch this season yaaaa.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why didn't Tatsuya use Gram Demolition (his anti-magic ability)? He simply states that he didn't use it without giving any reason.

it seemed to me that tatsuya couldn't target the parasite because he couldn't properly locate it until mizuki exposed it by becoming aware of it, at that time tatsuya only had time to cast one spell and prioritised to use it to protect mikihiko and mizuki from the parasite's attack instead of targeting the parasite directly. then in his monologue he states that he knew he wouldn't be able to have another shot at the parasite if he missed that one and feels conflicted about his decision (an emotional one, since mikihiko might have been able to withstand the attack with just some injuries while letting the parasite escape could result in it killing more people, not to mention tatsuya always has his time rewinding instant heal magic). I think the implication is that either the parasite couldn't be located again since mizuki was no longer watching it or that the spell he used to save them was also gram demolition and he knew the parasite would flee immediately after realising some one had that ability
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
regarding the technobable, I can see why for some poeple it could be annoying but personally I think that for most readers/watchers this kind of series is tailored, having technobable is in of itself a feature, part of the enjoyment is for it to be vague and kind of nonsensical so one can fill in the blanks with their own imagination and have fun trying to figure out how it might kind of work without thinking to hard.

I haven't read the original mahouka LN but I often experience this while reading "the other world´s magic is too far behind" where we often and extensively get this kind of technobabble exposition except instead of being "technological" it is "mystical". I often feel it slightly overstays its welcome, and occasionally, like the writing it is trying to look smarter than it actually is, but I always have fun embracing the chuunibyou-ism of those "explanations" and enjoying its "rule of cool" then rolling with it
T.Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
@Izanagi009

I was not trying to say that the anime could not be understood without the novel. I just personally think that doing both adds an additional layer of enjoyment to the experience.

As to the technical aspects, I simply think it adds to the world building. It is not required in either the anime or the novel for understanding the story. Let's face it, most shows simply declare "its magic" and don't try to explain how it works or doesn't work unless it is necessary for plot purposes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5