• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
So has Saegusa always been notoriously bad at cooking, or was that a new joke? I don't remember that coming up before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:22 am Reply with quote
^ I think she made really bitter chocolate on purpose because she was a bit angry with Tatsuya. I think the reason came up in the previous episode at some point.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Mayumi just made that chocolate super bitter to get some payback for Tatsuya's cloak and dagger ploy to force the groups to work together. She's actually a pretty competent cook from what I remember from the novels.
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
Saegusa made the chocolate that bitter on purpose knowing Tatsuya would have to try it while she watched if she insisted on it. It was definitely payback and she wanted the pleasure of watching him suffer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:42 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get that. With the red eyes and all the black vapors coming off her I thought she'd been parasitized and was intending to poison him.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:07 am Reply with quote
I mean, she explicitly stated the episode before that she intended to give tatsuya the most bitter chocolate she could come up with, while making a pouty face and with a mischievous tone of voice.

That been said, I can understand the confusion about her being a bad cook since it doesn't make sense for her to give the same kind of chocolate to Hatori, the series did nothing to imply she also wanted to get back at him for something else that might have happen off camera. One would think that if she needed to give him obligatory chocolate then she would realize a generic store bought one would be far better than the purposely toxic one she prepared, in case she didn't want to cook a different batch.

Obviously something happened in the book to set up Hattori's comedic scenario, but if the anime was going to omit it, it should have aswell remove hattori from that scene and have tatsuya meet directly with Saegusa imo
Coelodonta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:07 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:

it doesn't make sense for her to give the same kind of chocolate to Hatori, the series did nothing to imply she also wanted to get back at him for something else that might have happen off camera.

I had the impression that she callously used Hatori as a guinea pig to see if the chocolate was painful enough. Wink
T.Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, Hattori was her test dummy. Mayumi loves teasing/bullying others(all in good fun of course) and Hattori was her favorite target before Tatsuya came around, so it makes sense for her character to try it on him too.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
You were pretty spot on with your analysis of Miyuki. It's one of her better moments as a character, so glad you picked up on the below the surface stuff.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Regarding giving/receiving orders. This is how it works in the actual US military (to my best recollection).

If someone of greater rank gives you a lawful order, you have to obey it. *However*, if they aren't in your chain-of-command, they run the risk of getting into big trouble. Giving commands to people outside of your authorized scope means you are stepping on someone's toes. If Lina is working directly under the Joint Chiefs, then a mere Colonel is stepping on the toes of Generals. That is career suicide.

Also, just because you have received an order doesn't mean that you have to carry it out immediately. Even if you have to start right away it doesn't mean you can't call your immediate superior and ask for clarification while obeying the order. There are ways of dragging your feet if you believe something is wrong with what is going on. Of course, this is real life military that I'm talking about.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Balance was appointed as the commander of the operation, hence why she has the authority to direct orders to Lina.

And you are right to question the assault the USNA made on Tatsuya. The USNA has a history of making high risk and reckless decisions(making a teenage girl the commander of the worlds strongest magic military unit for example). The anime did leave out the fact that Balance looked into Tatsuya a bit more a did at least determined he was part of Japanese special forces and the fact he defeated Lina prior to this made her decide to roll the dice. Still a reckless decision regardless though.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
The USNA has a history of making high risk and reckless decisions(making a teenage girl the commander of the worlds strongest magic military unit for example). The anime did leave out the fact that Balance looked into Tatsuya a bit more a did at least determined he was part of Japanese special forces and the fact he defeated Lina prior to this made her decide to roll the dice. Still a reckless decision regardless though.

Agreed. Again, I liken these incidents more to spycraft. Wherein the US's official stance is , "We have no knowledge of any activities/existence of forces related to the US operating on Japanese soil." Hence, the suicide soliders, camoflage experts and covert ops. Likewise, the Japanese can say, "So, then you have no problem if we were to eliminate any foreign forces we deem hostile?" Also, I assume that the Japanese, more than likely, have their own operatives stationed on US soil.

@ Richard All around, I assume all the major super-powers possess/engineered strategic class WMD level magicians, though none openly admit to doing so. Instead of comparing this series to "how our world works," you should probably compare this series to "how our world would work if magic existed, telepathy existed, black holes are made, aliens come from other dimensions, and secret illuminati families controlled nations.".... And all our major task forces consist of highschool kids.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if its implications weren't so moronic

yeah, i wasnt beliving the shit that was happening in that 2* part of the epi... Like, wtf?
T.Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
"After watching, re-watching, and re-re-watching this episode, one thing has become strikingly clear: this is the most confusing episode of the season so far"

Ah, i knew this would happen eventually Lol. One of the biggest drawbacks of the mahouka adaptions, missing context. Luckily some of your questions should be answered next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't expect the parasites to be such fans of QUEEN.

Heh, I was singing along as that scene unfolded. Sadly the edits screwed up the rhythm. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5