• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Moriarty the Patriot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
So was the e being added to Bond for Jojo-type legal reasons?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So was the e being added to Bond for Jojo-type legal reasons?

That would be my guess. It could also be to "feminize" the name, but mostly I think it was a legal issue.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
So ends the adaptation of the Scsndal in the British Empire arc, which was one if the source manga's longer arcs (ran from Chps 17-23).

Quote:
Mycroft is involved in the creation or streamlining of some sort of intelligence unit, for which Albert has been recruited – it's not much of a leap to guess that that unit is actually MI6.

spoiler[Correct; it's MI6 and Albert is its head, M.
An unadapted manga arc covers how Albert saw what a boon MI6's resources would be for William's plans, and able to gain Mycroft's confidence to make him MI6 head following his leadership in taking down a notorious opium-smuggling ring (it involved William tricking the smugglers into kidnapping him, thus giving Albert the needed justification to lead the operation and prove his worth.)
There was also another unadapted Moran-centric arc where he gets assigned with MI6 agent Moneypenny to investigate weapons-smuggling in British-controlled India, which also gives insight into why Moran joined William's group.]

While the Moran centric arc wasn't adapted, it has been confirmed we're getting Von Herder from the manga, the "Q" of this series' MI6. In the original Conan Doyle canon, Von Herder was the blind German mechanic who manufactured Sebastian Moran's air rifle referenced in "The Empty House".
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It should become more apparent next week, assuming the anime doesn't change this aspect of the character, but re the "Call her Bonde. James Irene Bonde" comment (mild manga spoilers) spoiler[James Bond(e) is canonically a transgender man. He specifically says he identifies as male and would like to be treated as a man. Unless the manga does something that backpedals on this later, it seems to me that him being trans is the intent. To be fair, there isn't enough info from just the anime so far to confirm this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.]
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Amusingly this is reported in the “Dairy Londoner,” which inadvertently sounds like a newspaper for London-dwelling dairy farmers.)

Never noticed this and now I can’t stop laughing. What I did notice is that nipples exist in this series. I think Rebecca did mention the presence of nipples in the first episode of part 2.

It’s nice to see the existence of nipples. Nippleless bodies freak me out!

Anyways, nipples aside, I also find it interesting how the series makes use of the
‘Jack the Ripper being more than one person’ theory.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
That scene of Irene reinventing herself as James Bond caught me completely by surprise and I loved it.

I really don't blame Moran for being flustered or rather unsure of how to deal with this situation, my brain might say one thing but my body may not listen. Hopefully, he adjusts to Bonde's presence eventually.

That said I'm completely surprised that bonded identifies as male or feels more comfortable addressed as such. Up till that point I didn't see and clues or hints(not that there has to be any in real life but as a work of fiction there should be) to the contrary and it feels like Iren just flipped a switch and is now male. Then again I wasn't actually looking for clues so I suppose I'll have to pay more attention in the manga to Irene's character when I read them.

I definitely want to see what sort of training Jack put Moran through as he seems terrified of him. I also can't wait to see Sherlock and Moriarty duke it out and demonstrate what sort of techniques he learned as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am Reply with quote
I thought that Bonde was killing it earlier when he presented as a man, a prince trying to hire Sherlock to find Irene, that the idea of being maybe something like genderfluid was not too much of a surprise, with him now predominantly presenting as a man.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
So uh, that was Very Anime wasn't it?
Lestrade gifting Holmes a frikin puppet show nonwithstanding, we had Jack going full kabuki on the masses, awesome ninja skills, impossible 360 no scope sharpshooting and the Moriarty Bros, professional action assassins.
Plus whatever Fred looking like Alucard counts as.
BBally

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Von Herder (the blindfolded man), appeared early in the manga in a Moran centric arc but that arc wasn't adapted sadly. He works for MI6 run by Albert who has the codename "M" while Herder goes under "Q". (reference to another iconic British fictional character).

Von Herder is actually a character in the main Sherlock Holmes canon but never physically appeared, only referenced as the "blind German mechanic" who built Moran's air-rifle in Conan Doyle story, "The Adventure of the Empty House". This possibly marks the first time the character ever appeared in any visual Sherlock Holmes media.

The recent Whitechapel arc in Moriarty the Patriot isn't the first time Sherlock Holmes lore was inserted into the real life Jack The Ripper murders. There were two films where the greatest consulting detective tackled the murders A Study in Terror and Murder by Decree.

Of course this crossover was tackled in writing as well, such as "Jack El Destripador" a Spanish-language pastiche published shortly after the murders that apparently has Sherlock involved somehow. The infamous novel by Michael Dibdin, "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story" published in 1978, that has Sherlock attempts to solve the Ripper reveal a most surprising (and controversial for its time) perpetrator. "Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Doctor John H. Watson" a 2009 mystery novel by Lyndsey Faye that has Holmes attempt to solve the Ripper Murders. "The Singular Habits of Wasps" short story by Geoffrey Landis for the "Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" anthology book proposes a much more fantastical and sinister explanation for the Ripper murders, as solved (and dealt with) by the Great Detective himself.

The most recent iteration is "Sherlock Holmes And The Autumn Of Terror" a 2016 novel by Randy Williams, involving a sealed box of Holmes’ most controversial cases being opened by Watson’s great grandson Jacob, and among those cases is that of London’s Ripper murders that took place in what was then and has forever after been known as the “Autumn of Terror.”.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the bonding between Bonde and Moran is kind of cute.

Totally agree!

The post-credits scene was hilarious. Moran's reaction to the real 'Jack the Ripper' joining them as a butler was priceless.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Of course, you can't have James Bond without the team's inventor giving him a tour of his new gadgets, can you? Laughing
I swear just last week I was reminded of Sherlock's lock-picking skills and here we are now. Actually, lock-picking seemed to be the entirety of his role in this case, poor guy... I'm feeling bad for him, he's being manipulated by pretty much everyone and he knows it. Not only is he bing outsmarted, it's being outperformed by such a huge margin that he's being utterly predicted and used as a cog; and he can't fight back because that would be worse! I would also be extremely frustrated.

Also, Lestrade might not be very smart but he's a pretty good bulldozer.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully this is just paranoia from my own encounters with anti-Semitism talking and instead it's going to be an adaptation of the Hound of the Baskervilles storyline from volume three of the manga.

I'm also Jewish but was unaware of the word you mentioned, or its anti-Semitic origins. Then again I never read Merchant of Venice. It's good to be aware of that though. It would be nice if the translators could go back and edit that episode and just use the word moneylender instead.

As for that Hound of the Baskervilles storyline from the manga, honestly I kind of hope it doesn't get adapted to the anime. I thought it was way too gruesome (for those curious, spoiler[it involves men literally hunting children for sport, and is super gory about it, I'm talking decapitated heads and such]), and them skipping it doesn't really remove anything important story-wise as far as I can remember.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:

I'm also Jewish but was unaware of the word you mentioned, or its anti-Semitic origins. Then again I never read Merchant of Venice. It's good to be aware of that though. It would be nice if the translators could go back and edit that episode and just use the word moneylender instead.

As for that Hound of the Baskervilles storyline from the manga, honestly I kind of hope it doesn't get adapted to the anime. I thought it was way too gruesome (for those curious, spoiler[it involves men literally hunting children for sport, and is super gory about it, I'm talking decapitated heads and such]), and them skipping it doesn't really remove anything important story-wise as far as I can remember.

I don't think a lot of people are really aware of its meaning and origins, honestly, but I'm also not 100% sure it would successfully phase out the word even if they were. (I can hear it now - "But Shakespeare!") That doesn't make it less hurtful, unfortunately, even if we give Funimation the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know or were trying to be time-period faithful. I really hope they do change it for disc release and dub. (The Merchant of Venice is tied with Coriolanus for my least favorite Shakespeare play, albeit for very different reasons.)

I'm torn on the Baskervilles storyline. It IS really unsettling and grim, but it also shows that William's not without humanity, since he spoiler[proves Fred's worries that he won't go after the same type of crime twice and really is in this for the right reasons,] as well as reinforcing his street child past and explaining his spoiler[desire to protect Louis]. But then again, yikes, is it disturbing as a plotline. Well, I guess we'll find out next week!
BBally

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote
I like Sherlock Holmes media that portrays Lestrade as a competent police officer. People wrongly assumes Sherlock has no respect for Lestrade based on many adaptations while in the original Doyle canon, Holmes and Lestrade end up having a friendly relationship to the point that according to Watson in "The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax", Holmes refers to him as "friend Lestrade".

Holmes is generally more positive about Lestrade in later stories. In "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box", Holmes remarks that Lestrade's tenacity "has brought him to the top at Scotland Yard". In ''The Hound of the Baskervilles'', he says that Lestrade is "the best of the professionals" (meaning the professionals employed by Scotland Yard as opposed to himself), and in the same story, Watson observes "from the reverential way in which Lestrade gazed at my companion that he had learned a good deal since the days when they had first worked together."
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also difficult to believe that a couple of kids could amass six hundred pounds doing favors, advising, and odd jobs, but what's more unconvincing is that they'd keep it to themselves when part of the point of this episode is painting Will as a friend to the downtrodden, meaning specifically the orphanage. Yes, he wants to get Baxter for his duplicity, but would he do that knowing that if he fails he won't have any cash to help feed himself, his brother, and their friends?

Yeah, I also found it hard to believe that the two of them managed to amass all that money....

Another issue I had with the episode (and the series in general) is that I don’t really like how the nobles are always laughing maniacally with a crazed expression on their faces. I get that the nobles are supposed to be evil but it would be nice to have an evil noble that doesn’t laugh like an edgy maniac.
I have no issue with nobles being evil in this series. Just wish they didn't come across as cartoonish...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12