• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Moriarty the Patriot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBally

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
I remember because a good friend of mine who's a pharmacist was less than impressed with the grapefruit/quinine bit. Smile

That's cheating. Razz Here I was going to praise you for wading through the overwhelming amount of nonsense online about making hydroxychloroquine from the "naturally occurring quinine" in grapefruit rinds (they don't contain quinine, and even if they did, you can't make HCQ from quinine at home) to find that information. Smile

Speaking of which, there's a British Youtuber who goes by the name "Clockwork Dandy Noodles" who reviews an episode of the anime every Monday, which she refers as Moriarty Mondays, just did a review on Episode 4 and she really gets into the historical aspect of the anime and does into some details about aspects of the episode like the Quinine medicine so it's quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCqC4GfWg18
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Now if we can get Robert Downey Jr to reprise his role again, now that he is no longer doing Tony Stark.

My favorite Sherlock Holmes is the now-deceased Jeremy Brett. The adaptations hewed pretty closely to Doyle's works, and Brett was gloriously hammy in the role. Not so much as to turn his representation into a parody. Rather it showed a good read on Holmes's sense of grandiosity, what we might call narcissism these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1984_TV_series)
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the gardener would have been better off using the foxglove we got a clear shot of in the sweeping scene of the viscount's conservatory

Yes, I thought it was funny that, with all that flora around, the writer chose grapefruit!

I mean, a quality perennial bed is a veritable cornucopia of poisons. Gardeners in the northeast where I live love foxglove because the deer won’t eat it. Then there’s oleander (not quite hardy where I live), aconite, hemlock and castor bean—popular as an annual in my neck of the woods—prized for its giant showy leaves, and the source of deadly ricin. And that’s just off the top of my head. Very Happy
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Considering poisons are likely generally well known at this point in time, using one might be a bit too obvious. On the other hand, I'd guess that grapefruit wouldn't be as widely known to interfere with medicines (even if quinine technically isn't one of those), considering one of the brothers had to verify it at the library. It looks like foxglove causes several side effects, aside from causing heart failure, that could be telltale signs of such poisoning. Whether that was well known at the time, I don't know, but interfering with the heart medicine would make the cause of death appear less like a poisoning.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Considering poisons are likely generally well known at this point in time, using one might be a bit too obvious.

I think you're right, and that the clear shot of the foxglove was probably meant to be a red herring, one that people who know the truth (grapefruit doesn't stop quinine from working) would be misdirected by.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Would Frida have been capable of singing and dancing if she was being hopped up on that much opium? I feel like that scene would have made more sense if it was something like LSD, which was also prevalent at the time.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Would Frida have been capable of singing and dancing if she was being hopped up on that much opium? I feel like that scene would have made more sense if it was something like LSD, which was also prevalent at the time.

That's bothered me since the manga chapter. I couldn't find anything definitive, but Dudley basically said it was his "special blend," so maybe it was less opium and more something else. Certainly Lucian acted more like you'd expect, so it would make more sense if it was a mix Dudley gave Frida.

Anyone who knows pharmacology have an answer?
BBally

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Unlike the previous episodes, the antagonist wasn't a noble but a high class member of the community who sucked up to the nobles. The young noble was an innocent victim in that he was manipulated and here we are shown good nobles.

Next episode, we get to meet Sherlock Holmes himself.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Dude seemed to have a way of making money that involved black-mailing the upper class, so I dont think they think highly of him and one account of murder probably wont change that. And what does "pumping her full of opium" mean? How do you force someone to smoke opium? This case was pretty dumb, felt more like an excuse to add 'young and hot colonel who can get it' to the cast. I hoped his appearance would explain why he puts a chess piece into his mouth in the opening so that was a letdown.
Also is he drugging the women he sleeps with so they don't wake up when he snipes people from the bedroom?

On a completely unrelated note, Moriarty's house has a lot of green wallpaper so he'll probably die from arsenic poisoning before he gets rid of the class system.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
And what does "pumping her full of opium" mean? How do you force someone to smoke opium?

On a completely unrelated note, Moriarty's house has a lot of green wallpaper so he'll probably die from arsenic poisoning before he gets rid of the class system.

Opium can be ingested in a lot of ways - laudanum, a liquid preparation of alcohol and opium - was a popular method, albeit one that would have put her to sleep. So he presumably didn't have her smoking it; I'd guess she drank it mixed with other things.

The arsenic wallpaper was produced between 1864 and 1875, so it's possible. It'd have to be the specific emerald green (also called Scheele's green) shade, though. I don't think it was quite bright enough, but the thought occurred to me as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
IANAP, but... Like the unrelated depressant alcohol, opium is known to give some people a euphoric rush before eventually sedating them, rather like a runner's high from endorphins (same µ receptors involved). Apparently this is especially true for administration by suppository, but let's not go there... At any rate, the classic image of opium dens with their blissed-out zombies that we're all familiar with isn't the whole picture.

So if he'd just administered it and turned her loose, the boost from her previous depression over her situation could've been expressed in her personal happy activity, singing and dancing. As she lost coordination as she went further under its effects, at that point she probably just didn't care that she was falling to her death, if she was even aware that was the case rather than just "Wheeee, falling..."

Maybe. Wink
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Was the word "brothel" correct for the establishments? He seemed to admit to it quite easily - and that business isn't here nor there when it comes to either the "hospital" face allowing him to get opium and the opium dens that made him money.

Something that puzzled me is that the colonel spoke about "finally getting started" as if this case was part of a long-term plan that they have been planning for some time but... that doesn't seem to be the case? Moriarty basically just called them to scare a dude and make his death more poetic but their role wasn't that vital and the case seems to be pretty standalone.
BBally

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Something that puzzled me is that the colonel spoke about "finally getting started" as if this case was part of a long-term plan that they have been planning for some time but... that doesn't seem to be the case?

Wink
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The recent episode added in a plot point that wasn't in the manga.

spoiler[The commoner that Count Elders murdered was not mentioned to be a murderer or rapist in the Noatic chapter in the manga, which is supposed to be a sign that while Moriarty is the protagonist he is not real the hero of the story as he allowed an innocent man to be killed as part of his plan. Still they kept the hint that the little girl bumping into Elders was part of their plan like in the manga so they still put an innocent life in harms way.

Also, the way William talks about "Plunging London into the depths of Hell" sound like something Char Anzable or Light Yagami, so I don't think we're meant to agree with this overall plot he has planned.

Basically, Moriarty and his ganga may be the protagonists but Holmes and Watson are the heroes we know them to be. ]
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
BBally wrote:
spoiler[Basically, Moriarty and his ganga may be the protagonists but Holmes and Watson are the heroes we know them to be. ]

I find it a bit hard to think people would legitimately think otherwise, but perhaps I'm too naive - there were people who argued Light Yagami was a good guy, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12