• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Moriarty the Patriot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
BBally wrote:
spoiler[Basically, Moriarty and his ganga may be the protagonists but Holmes and Watson are the heroes we know them to be. ]

I find it a bit hard to think people would legitimately think otherwise, but perhaps I'm too naive - there were people who argued Light Yagami was a good guy, after all.

Yeah but there are a lot of people on here who are negative on this anime because they don't think the anime makes it obvious that Moriarty and co. aren't exactly the "good guys". (To be fair the plot flows faster in the manga than the anime so we get to the Holmes and Watson plots faster, plus the anime just added the whole murder and rape info about the murdered commoner that was not in the manga so audiences wouldn't be shocked that "our heroes" allowed an innocent man to die)
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Clockwork Dandy Noodles uploaded a review of the 6th episode and I really enjoy the part where she goes into detail with the historic connections to the episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-nMzy5-Po
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This is my 11-year-old's favorite show of the season. I'm impressed my son has such refined tastes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
This is my 11-year-old's favorite show of the season. I'm impressed my son has such refined tastes.

Obviously you're doing something right as a parent. Very Happy
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Moriarty has decided that the best way to abolish the class system is to turn London into a cesspit of crime, which will force action on the part of the government. Somehow this is supposed to allow the common man to rise up and drag down the aristocrats, which sounds more like French Revolution fanfiction than a legitimate plot, so hopefully we'll get more information about how this is supposed to work in future episodes.

I felt the theory behind his plan sounded reasonable enough.

He uses his murders to openly expose how evil and rotten the British nobles are, esp. the ones he kills (while indulging himself as a bonus); thus ever-increasing public dissatisfaction against the class system until breaking point. Then the public loses their patience and takes to the streets to riot against the inequality that's being thrust in their faces (much like certain real-life public protests/riots galvanized by a tipping incident).

Of course, whether or not William desires an orderly social transition or revolution-style overthrow in the path to his ideal world is another question entirely.
BBally

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
@Rebecca Silverman
Quote:
Moriarty is willing to sacrifice a member of the lower classes in order to catch Blitz, but it's clear that he's chosen one who isn't going to be missed – the man's a thief, rapist, and murderer, and whatever your social class, that's not a good career history.

I understand why the writers behind the anime adaptation decided to change the victim from an innocent man in the manga to a murderer in the anime but I feel the anime writers missed the point of that scene as it's portrayed in the manga, Moriarty may have good intentions but he's not a "good guy" as he's willing to put innocent people at risk if it helps the plans for his cause.
andramus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
When Blitz was comparing himself and other nobles to Noah I took it as being the whole "chosen by god" thing. A lot of mythologizing I've seen about the noble class is that their ancestors were "chosen by god" and that as such the descendants of those "chosen" are a special class of human being.

I suppose I relate it to the whole "Divine right of kings" nonsense.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
BBally wrote:

I understand why the writers behind the anime adaptation decided to change the victim from an innocent man in the manga to a murderer in the anime but I feel the anime writers missed the point of that scene as it's portrayed in the manga, Moriarty may have good intentions but he's not a "good guy" as he's willing to put innocent people at risk if it helps the plans for his cause.

I think you're right - it gave Blitz too easy an out and it makes Moriarty out to be much more heroic than even he wants to be. And I don't think that Moriarty even sees himself as a "good guy" - he's doing what he believes needs to be done, but if he gives in to self-aggrandizement, that makes him little better than the nobles who put themselves on a pedestal. In my mind, Moriarty sees himself fairly clearly for who and what he is: someone willing to do bad things to stop a worse one. I'm very curious how the anime is going to portray his relationship with Holmes going forward, especially thinking back to the opening pages of the manga.

On the other hand, I do like that the anime made a couple of changes to make the details more historically accurate - the ice cream cone into a glass of liquid was a good adjustment, and the women's dresses had the appropriate bustle that was missing in the manga.

@andramus

Ah, good point. One of my Orthodox uncles is super picky about biblical details and translations, so I think I got him stuck in my head during that line. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
BBally wrote:
Yeah but there are a lot of people on here who are negative on this anime because they don't think the anime makes it obvious that Moriarty and co. aren't exactly the "good guys".

I think the portrayal of class conflict is way too ham-handed being essentially a disgusting-rich-guy-of-the-week story. And, yes, the show has the opportunity to present a more nuanced view of Moriarty's crimes but has failed to do so. I have yet to see any discussion of the morality of the brothers' actions.

Just because it's intended for large audiences, popular entertainment doesn't need to be as simplistic as this series.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
BBally wrote:
Yeah but there are a lot of people on here who are negative on this anime because they don't think the anime makes it obvious that Moriarty and co. aren't exactly the "good guys".

I think the portrayal of class conflict is way too ham-handed being essentially a disgusting-rich-guy-of-the-week story. And, yes, the show has the opportunity to present a more nuanced view of Moriarty's crimes but has failed to do so. I have yet to see any discussion of the morality of the brothers' actions.

Just because it's intended for large audiences, popular entertainment doesn't need to be as simplistic as this series.

Considering this adaptation is taking its time, such that it's at the beginning of the second volume six episodes in (the first episode is from some later volume, and every chapter [3 in the first volume] since then has been one or two episodes), and this is a two (split) cours show, there is plenty of time to get to addressing the morality of their actions. Especially now that Sherlock is in the picture; up until now there hasn't been a foil to show how their actions appear to others.

Not that I know if it will; I have only read the first volume that Viz recently released.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
up until now there hasn't been a foil to show how their actions appear to others.

I wasn't looking for a foil. I was hoping it would become an issue among the brothers themselves. They just blithely follow James.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
up until now there hasn't been a foil to show how their actions appear to others.

I wasn't looking for a foil. I was hoping it would become an issue among the brothers themselves. They just blithely follow James.

True, it would be nice if the other brothers had more of a role than just supporting, outside of their backstory chapter. I'm not sure they'll have any issues until something starts to interfere with their plans though; they seem pretty united on wanting to see James' vision through at the moment.

My main point is that the story is still getting started due to the pacing of both the manga and the anime, and the anime will have the time to get to a situation where James' plots don't work out perfectly. Assuming that happens in the manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this show is basically just a ham-fisted exercise in cheap catharsis. Evil noble's MO is established and then he dies in a way that fits his crime. Having said that, I find the cheap catharsis very satisfying! I guess at heart I'm just a simple man.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok so the plan is to have nobles committing crimes against peasants in the open and showing how evil they are, but they picked a murderer and rapist for the job.
Os won't the rection be more like "Wow good job ridding the world of that scumbag my good chap! Hohohohoh"
Sidenote: I feel like the translators have a list of British words and phrases and just sprinkle them in were the might fit
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Ok so the plan is to have nobles committing crimes against peasants in the open and showing how evil they are, but they picked a murderer and rapist for the job.
Os won't the rection be more like "Wow good job ridding the world of that scumbag my good chap! Hohohohoh"

It made more sense in the manga, in that the guy wasn't a murderer or a rapist but an innocent victim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12