• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Warlords of Sigrdrifa

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
No, I'm thinking of the guy with the hat, the one eye and the two ravens called "Thought" and "Memory". Gave up his eye for wisdom and uses that wisdom in duplicitous yet noble ways, seeking out new knowledge while traveling in disguise, that Odin.

Is there more than one? Of course there is, he is a tricky one. I would say it's a mistake to nail him down to one name, one guise, one job. And I'm sticking with Trickster God because Guile God doesn't have the same ring to it; Not to forget, it's more than a little wrong. Tricks aren't necessarily evil or cruel, wasn't one of Odin's favorite tricks giving people cheap, pointless goods that turned to gold once he left?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
-snip-

Odin was a father figure/ a teacher,he did not play "tricks" for the Hel of it-Loki was the true "trickster" god of Norse & Germanic mythology.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will not be surprised if the anime goes with Odin actually being Loki.

Loki being a shapeshifter,trickster,the father of Fenris of Ragnarök fame.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: "It's easily the best Sigrdrifa episode yet." And yet it currently has the same 4.1 community score as episode 4. That's this show's audience for you. Wink

Episode 7 seems to have been effective for some of my online friends, so that's nice for them. For me, the most impactful episode so far is still episode 1. The girl I most wanted to see more of, Leyli, got a quick and pointless Tasha Yar death followed by a one-sentence obituary, which was the only way I even found out she was actually dead. That's certainly realistic - I just finished Max Hastings' "Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945," which is full of that kind of war story (and I highly recommend it) - but seeing that in this show was merely annoying. "Oh, okay, so it's not going to give me what I want. Well, never mind then. (...) Wow, this Strike Witches season is solid gold, it's better than it's ever been. Unbelievable." (It actually went like that. I just watched Sigrdrifa 5-6-7 followed by the two most recent Strike Witches episodes tonight.)

I agree with this guy. https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ju4841/senyoku_no_sigrdrifa_episode_7_discussion/gcc2yor/ If it's going to do dramatic character deaths, I would prefer that the show had started with a larger group of main characters, rather than bringing in a character to kill off within 40 minutes, like Joss Whedon taking his only option for a hero death in Age of Ultron.

It's not even that a character "existing just to die" means I won't feel for them. I loved SAO's Mother's Rosario arc. I'm not saying it was "good;" I'm saying it's not difficult to please me with Hallmark Channel schmaltz.

WizardOfOss wrote:
But if that would be Tateyama, considering the amount of snow in those pics it must be almost summer Laughing
(when I visited the Tateyama snow corridor in 2017 just a few days after it opened, there was still 19 meters of snow)

BTW, brilliant avatar! I want a re-release of the movie with him wearing that shirt....

Hehe Smile And thanks! That would be a... grave misuse of effects artists' effort.... Mr. Green
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The zombie planes already implied that the dead pilots linger on in some form, but I think there's a definite possibility that dead characters will show up later in sentient form. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to kill off so many named characters unceremoniously and with such little buildup.
The folks who were killed by Thor's super attack were presumably vaporized without a trace, but that does leave room for being transported somewhere else, instead.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
-snip-

snip back

For "some reason", people confuse Odin with Marvel's Odin, kind of like how Loki isn't evil, he's just Thor's personal butt monkey. I'm not as well versed in Norse Mythology as I am in Greek Mythology but I do know some of the tales.

You have Odin in one position and it's not at the head of the Wild Hunt. Greek God Poseidon is Lord of the sea, Zeus is of the sky and Hades is of the underworld. To contrast, here's Odin as described by Wiki:

Norse mythology, the source of most surviving information about him, associates Odin with wisdom, healing, death, royalty, the gallows, knowledge, war, battle, victory, sorcery, poetry, frenzy, and the runic alphabet, and project him as the husband of the goddess Frigg.

Odin's an entire pantheon by himself and one of those roles is "Trickster mentor"/wanderer.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
That "wooden sentry" will most definitely be called an "Einherjar".
Norse mythology being canon but also gone from everyone's minds makes for osme intriguing mysteries.
First is Yggdrasil. It's supposed to be the ONE tree that unites all realms... but in this setting every single pillar contains one (1) Yggdrasil? Which just floats in the air.
The pillars being, as we're seeing, the gods and monsters of Norse mythology (primary and secondary at least).

Then there are valkiries. The names Odin gives them, do they even know what they mean?
There's also that duty of valkiries sending off soldier (which IS supposed to be their main role), was that information also provided by Odin?
Then of course there are also a LOT of normal people, or "shields", dying in battle and being sent off, thus becoming Einherjar. Are those deceased part of the "wooden sentry" army? Dead valkyries are beign absorbed by primary pillars it seems, but I guess it wasn't promised to send them to Valhalla... or Fólkvangr. Will Freyja and her hall play a part on this too? Afterall Valkiries and Einherjar weren't the sole property of Odin.
Looking at the mural depicting scenes of Ragnarök, something to note is that Odin (I think that's him?) is seen leading an army of valkiries, and down below a different army with shields... which must be either Einherjar... or giants? They're colored red and right next to Surt...
The peaceful murals are also interesting. Ine depicts the wizened Odin and what I assume is a birth, a feast and... a harvest? of bodies? While the other one has young Odin and more importantly, three angelic figures that might very easily be Azuzu, Claudia and Miyako as well as a modern city in construction. So I guess Odin's identity is kind of reliable?

And this all leads to something interesting: WHEN does this take place? Thor didn't look very healthy and all those wooden themes are quite suspicious. If the murals foretell about a young Odin in our modern world, might this be AFTER Ragnarok and such an apocalypse being the reason why Norse mythology was forgotten? Or maybe it's before, and Odin still has to "grow up"? But the war our protagonists are in the middle of is pretty much Ragnarok as well.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Sono's side of the story was getting interesting. Trauma, anxiety, a sense of worthlessness and plenty of outlets for her to be helpful, to find worth, in a different way.
But solving that plotline competently requires sensitive writing and commitment, and I didn't trust this series even for a second to do that over shoving her into a plane so she can do cool tricks ASAP. And indeed Sono's situation was handwaved with the elegance of a twitter user replying "if you have depression then just stop being sad and think of happy stuff".

On the other front, I guess my first read of the murals was right but then I got tangled in how this kind of story usually goes. Odin can't accept that a dog ate him.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]
Nordhmmer wrote:
For "some reason", people confuse Odin with Marvel's Odin, kind of like how Loki isn't evil, he's just Thor's personal butt monkey. I'm not as well versed in Norse Mythology as I am in Greek Mythology but I do know some of the tales.

Though a a late reply.

You mention folks mixing Marvel's character with the Odin of Norse & Germanic myth.

As with Greek myths,Norse & Germanic myths also under went redaction and retconning over the ages to suit what was in vogue with a given age.

Snorri Sturluson's works,his editing of the Prose Edda. advanced post-pagan Christian beliefs,often putting Odin on the same moral plane of Loki- chipping away at reputations of the old pagan gods.

Yes the writers for the anime seem to be using the Odin of 'Gylfaginning'

But in Old Norse-pre-Christian- mythology:
Odin was The father,The teacher.
and
Loki was The trickster,not evil but chaos.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I assumed that the zombie pilots couldn't be Einherjar because they weren't delivered by the valkyries... but I guess they were indeed (maybe the funeral services after count?).
However, there's the interesting point of Odin saying that dead warriors belong to him [by right]. However, Einherjar were split between Odin and Freyja for their respective armies. Now, wouldn't it be cool if there was some powerful, beautiful lady willing to oppose him and claim her share? But that would have to wait until the death flag that Azuzu activated plays out.
Meanwhile, enjoy that cool Sleipnir.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
Let's not kid ourselves -- this is just like every other "WW2-airplane-filled anime": A means to get those dust-covered WW2-model-kit castings into use without having to deal with the "problems" of Actually Dealing With WW2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2