• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Day I Became a God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
My money's on the movie restoring her memories. Smile I would've settled for him asking his sister to send him even the unfinished work so she could see herself and her friends.

I'm really not liking the pathetic twist on the therapist (don't recall her job title) - by which I don't mean the twist itself is stupid (though it is), but that she's revealed to be so pathetic and possessive. It's practically libelous against people who do devote themselves to help others, like who would do that without a selfish ulterior motive?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
Last episode, I wasn't so sure about the direction this was heading, mostly because I am just so, so frustrated that Yota can't go 5 seconds without raising his voice. Like I get it, he's a hot-headed boy and not a licensed mental health worker but, you'd think one or two of Hina's extreme reactions would be enough for him to at least attempt to think before he outbursts. Rolling Eyes

But, I do think that this last episode has dramatically improved the show overall. The ending will probably have a big affect on whether or not it sticks (coughCharlottecough) but I feel like I really do understand what Maeda has been leading toward the whole time, and God, it hurts as bad as he said it would.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm really not liking the pathetic twist on the therapist (don't recall her job title) - by which I don't mean the twist itself is stupid (though it is), but that she's revealed to be so pathetic and possessive. It's practically libelous against people who do devote themselves to help others, like who would do that without a selfish ulterior motive?

Yeah, I think for one her entire back story could have been left out - like, I personally didn't have any trouble understanding that her motivation is to help Hina, not just poo-poo Yota's efforts. And then, I don't think it's necessarily wrong or insensitive to show that she had personal motivation to becoming a caregiver, because, really, I've met a lot of nurses and mental health workers who have gotten into the field because they or a relative needed special care, and they want to help others that went through something similar. But yeah, her weird possessiveness left a really bad taste in my mouth. There's enough conflict in the fact that her way of helping Hina is at conflict with Yota's, you don't need to present her as unhinged.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
This episode would be better if it wasn't obvious that Yota is meant to be the good guy here. Yota sneaks into this care facility under false pretenses, barges into the care situation of a girl who needs very delicate care and repeatedly makes her extremely upset out of nothing but his own impulsiveness and his attachment to the "old" Hina. He wants to take Hina away from this facility and from a caregiver who is obviously giving her good care and even making progress with her, based on entirely false pretenses. It's actually extremely selfish on Yota's part.

The caregiver telling him that the Hina he knew was just the machine in her brain seemed like she was meant to come off as cold, but she's absolutely right from a logical perspective, and Yota has absolutely no business being there. In fact I'm surprised that someone so apparently competent didn't immediately start to look into this suspiciously-young guy who barges in and so obviously has no idea what he's doing.

This episode made me go from being "whatever" about Yota's character to outright disliking him.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I’m completely baffled as to what we the audience is meant to think of Yota's actions here. The show seems to present it as though Yota is in the right but just about every comment on the show I’ve seen has everyone absolutely seething with how stupid and selfish Yota is being with it all.

Like MAYBE the show is presenting Yota as being frustrating in the wrong, but then you get the scene of everyone encouraging him on the phone which makes me think we’re supposed to be siding with Yota?

With only a single episode to go I've frankly got no idea how this is all going to wrap up without a massive downer end or some ridiculous deus ex machina. And given that Jun Maeda has said he wanted to make the saddest show ever, maybe the downer end actually is on the table.

Also - is Hina's logos syndrome going to come back into the picture? Because it seems odd that the show would foreshadow Yota seeing her decline via Logos Symdrome only to suddenly switch it up with her condition being trauma related.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
Insomniabulist wrote:
It's actually extremely selfish on Yota's part.

This episode made me go from being "whatever" about Yota's character to outright disliking him.

Pretty much how I felt about this episode.

I guess you can brush it off as Yota being young and impulsive, but it really is incredibly selfish of him to put present Hina through a lot of stress just because he wants past Hina back.

It reminded me of my ex, who would push me into being someone that I wasn't, and it was super frustrating for me. The main reason I ended the relationship was because I felt he wasn't in love with me, he was in love with a version of me that doesn't exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murgleis1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The only real problem I have with this show is, honestly, I have a hard time buying any romance between Hina and Yota. Dude is about to graduate high school and she looks like she's 12. He was already interested in Izanami too, yet that seemingly got brushed off cause "well, suddenly he's romantically interested in someone who looks like a 4th grader cause reasons". It's really weird and undermines the story. Why not just make him and Hina develop a super strong brother/sister-like bond and let him have an actual romance with Izanami? It would actually make the underlying themes of this show a lot stronger and it would work better thematically too.

Love ya Maeda, but you kinda shot yourself in the foot on this one.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I don't see any romance in the relationship. I don't think the show wants us to think it's romance either - characters are using 'love' towards friendship all the time in here.

I think the show kind of intended to make the caretaker an understandable villain with that flashback and how she's antagonizing Yota? I don't know why they would, but I guess we'll see. Yota himself seems very misguided in his attempts, and I get that he's still a kid and not trained for this at all, but you'd think after getting chewed on a couple of times and observing Hina's routine at least one entire day he'd know not to scream at her. Alas.

I'm thinking the Nordic mythology play is going to come back in some way in the last episode.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The Yota x Izanami pairing has been pushed aside so hard it’s hard to feel like the show isn’t pushing for the Yota x Hina pairing, as little as that actually makes sense. It felt
Like they had more of a dynamic of Yota looking after his younger annoying cousin, I wish they’d just kept the dynamic like that.
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he's neither tactful or a trained caregiver

Precisely why this is so hard to watch as an adult who has been left with no option but take up a caregiver's role. There is *no way* Yota would pass as a professional for 5 seconds. Heck, he was done the end of last episode, and we get a whole episode of his spectacular emotional immaturity again? I love Natsuki Hanae's screams as much as the next Demon Slayer fan, but this was neither the time nor the place for them. I don't know why anime so often struggle so hard to treat dying/very sick teenage girls with respect (KimiUso comes to mind), but I suspect it's because few mangaka/anime writers have had much interaction with dying teenage girls or people who require special care in general. This is a sensitive subject and it was handled here irresponsibly and infuriatingly. This was made all the worse by the fact that Yota has not been a blithering idiot the whole show, so this sudden devolution is drop-worthy, and indeed we did. Disappointment of the season is an understatement.

Catastrophic failure of plot, characterisation, and entertainment value. Saddest Maeda show my foot. I suspect he had his life-changing experience and, as happens with authors after these things, starts to see mistake raw suffering for sadness, rather than one potentially leading to the other if handled appropriately.

edit: upon reflection, what *really* bothered me was that both Yota and Shiba were making this about them. Yota's 'is there anything left of me in her?' self-query was just as grating as his berating her while trying to play the game -- who cares if there is or not? It's her well-being you should be thinking about, you selfish twit. And Shiba, while right to be highly critical of this so-called paediatrician's bedside manner with a severely damaged child, is given this unnecessary backstory of how she's clearly using severely damaged children as a surrogate for her own loss. When your most relatable characters are relegated to a quick phone call between frustrating sessions of the main character abusing a helpless kid because HE wants his version of her back, you got a biiiig problem.

Last edited by Charou on Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't see any romance in the relationship. I don't think the show wants us to think it's romance either - characters are using 'love' towards friendship all the time in here.

Exactly this. I don't see romance between the two of them. Whenever "love" is being confessed it's stated after that it's everyone that loves Hina. There was one scene I thought it might go that way it didn't
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Charou wrote:
Quote:
he's neither tactful or a trained caregiver
Precisely why this is so hard to watch as an adult who has been left with no option but take up a caregiver's role. There is *no way* Yota would pass as a professional for 5 seconds... This was made all the worse by the fact that Yota has not been a blithering idiot the whole show, so this sudden devolution is drop-worthy...
edit: upon reflection, what *really* bothered me was that both Yota and Shiba were making this about them.... And Shiba, while right to be highly critical of this so-called pediatrician's bedside manner with a severely damaged child, is given this unnecessary backstory of how she's clearly using severely damaged children as a surrogate for her own loss....
All my frustrations and critiques on the last few episodes in a nutshell, well said! I'd drop this if there were more than another episode left, so I am watching out for the wreak. Not much hope or desire for an S2...
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote
The thing about the Yota x Izanami romance is that there never really was much of one. A recurring gag with Izanami is that Yota didn't even know basic things about her despite being "childhood friends", like Izanami liking baseball. Izanami was clearly not very interested in him up until the episode with her dad, after which she largely disappears from the plot. I would question whether Yota was ever actually in love with Izanami based on this information or if it was just a lingering attachment from his childhood.

I can buy the Yota x Hina romance as being valid since this wouldn't be the first time that Maeda has written younger love interests, but up until the confession scene Yota doesn't seem to show much of a romantic interest. In both instances I think I would chalk it up to just Maeda thinking that he's writing a 50-hour VN instead of a 5-hour anime.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm here to pile on Youta too.
How can a young adult be so self-absorbed to not realize any of his endless mistakes?
Controlling his tone and forcefulness should be a given yet he fails every time. And then he goes and fails to even check the reports he was sending. "Being careful" wasn't in his mind even for a second. He was never a bright kid but that inability to watch or learn is just unreal.
After that the videogame thing comes and god that was stupid. The base idea was simple and nice, but who the hell hands an RPG to a kid in this condition? The show was smart enough to realize that every step of it was a failure pit but Youta somehow wasn't. And them he starts yelling at every little thing.
The guy is 18 but he acts as if he were a decade younger.

The worst part is that the episode had a good start, with a believable routine, Youta actually observing what was going on and Shiba being interesting. But right after Youta regresses into a blind egoistical prick and Shiba spoils into a selfish mess, making harsh assertions about things she doesn't know the first thing about solely to antagonize the protagonist, possibly in detriment of the Hina she was caring for.
There was a good and interesting scenario there, but the script itself and how it plays out were just bad and annoying. It felt like the episode was outlined by a professional and then an amateur filled in the details and changed whatever they wanted.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one disgusted by post-AI chip removal Yota. What a turd. Shiba has every right to be both suspicious and contemptuous of him. He has given her absolutely zero reason to cut him any slack. Quite the opposite. Shiba is motivated by a genuine desire to bring happiness to severely ill children. Yota is motivated by, "hey, don't you remember ME?" Ugh. I don't think I've wanted to drop kick a character to the face this bad since Re:Zero's Subaru.
murgleis1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I think the show kind of intended to make the caretaker an understandable villain with that flashback and how she's antagonizing Yota? I don't know why they would, but I guess we'll see. Yota himself seems very misguided in his attempts, and I get that he's still a kid and not trained for this at all, but you'd think after getting chewed on a couple of times and observing Hina's routine at least one entire day he'd know not to scream at her. Alas.

I'm thinking the Nordic mythology play is going to come back in some way in the last episode.

Nah, it is clearly foreshadowed that Hina's interest in Yota is romantic. Izanami seems to think that they have a "romantic" dynamic going on too in the last two episodes up to the point Hina gets taken away. The way she glances at them, the hesitation she exhibits when she talks to Yota a few times during that last filming sessions, etc. The body language and various cues are easy to see.

There's also a few more obvious examples I can provide as well. Hina acts jealous on a few occasions in the second half of the show and even flirts with Yota when he takes her on that trip to try to reconnect with her estranged father. Clearly not a "I see you as family" thing.

So yeah, I see what Maeda is doing and it comes off as really stupid and borderline pedophilish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7