• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Day I Became a God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, it neither left me impassive nor did I hate it so that's a slight success I guess? I know I took a lot of screenshots of Hina smiling.
Very convenient that Hina magically and suddenly recovered juuuust enough to be able to walk, verbally communicate and not be scared of loud voices anymore, even though she's supposed to be suffering from a degenerative disease that should kill her soon. And what was that "koi" shit? They could have ommitted that line straight from the horse's mouth and those implications and the only thing that would have changed is that the show would be better.

There was a good message in there somewhere, but the whole execution of the last arc has been clumsy and messy at best. And considering how whimsical the previous arcs were, what was the writing effort put into? The overall message and themes for the series are a defined but generalist idea, something that should have been defined even before making a pitch to the producer, and nothing in how the episodic chapters were constructed was inherently meaningful on its own.
And the whole Suzuki affair was, of course, a dumpster fire that torpedo'd its own themes and messages.

At least my worst expectations didn't come to happen: she didn't magically go back to her old self because of some hidden "function" of the quantum computer that was once there. Nor did Hina tragically die remembering some past events riiiiight before Yota had to leave her.

micah007 wrote:
Knowing this authors previous works I kept waiting for the shoe to drop and spent most of my cognitive energy anticipating what that would look like instead of enjoying what I was watching. You could blame me for doing that but you can also recognize that the authors narrative structure is easy to predict and that I can't turn my brain off in order to not realize that.

Yeah. this is a problem with pigeonholed writers. Most have the pride to try to rebel against against it with diverse results, but I guess Maeda has decided to embrace it instead.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah. this is a problem with pigeonholed writers. Most have the pride to try to rebel against against it with diverse results, but I guess Maeda has decided to embrace it instead.

If nothing else I just wish his tonal shifts and narrative structure were less obvious. That's really my biggest complaint. I wasn't completely emotionally numb to the last few episodes as I truly felt for Yota trying and failing to connect with Hina, which was hard to watch at times, and I did smile often whenever he made progress with her. Maeda had good ideas and quirky characters but in this instance I really wish the execution was better.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, I really liked the ending. Embarassed

I mean, yeah, there was some serious "power of love" BS that healed Hina, but that's pretty standard Key fair, so maybe that's why it didn't bug me? At the very least I felt like it brought together the weird first half of the show. I almost want to watch it again now that I know where it ends up going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murgleis1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
First series Maeda has done that I didn't atleast like. Charlotte and Angel Beats both had issues, but most of those would have been easy to resolve if they had just gotten more episodes to pace things out better. Everything else about them was fine.

The Day I Became A God, however, not only has the worst main romance pairing he's ever put together, but it feels as though the story itself has plot-progression issues, character issues on top of the other pacing issues that his one-cour efforts have. I'm honestly surprised everyone on his team looked at this thing and thought "Yeah, this is gonna be as good as Clannad! Banzai!". Sigh...

I guess I'm just gonna have to hold out hope one day that Sharin no Kuni or something top tier in the visual novel universe will get a great anime adaptation one day, cause this doesn't scratch that itch at all.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
GoethiteGolem wrote:
I kind of feel like Jun Maeda has been drifting from magic realism towards sci-fi with each of his works, and it doesn't help his stories one bit. In his earlier works there was always a layer of mysterious magic coating all of the sentimentality and drama, which made it somewhat easier to stomach some of his more wild turns.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. But, let's say Planetarian (which is Key but apparently didn't have Maeda's involvement?) works really well even being entirely sci-fi. So I guess Maeda just doesn't gel with the subject much, while other writers he's known do. Maybe he's trying to get over that hurdle, and sure I respect that, but man are they clumsy attempts.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't recall what other works of his had sci-fi tendencies... Angel Beats and Charlotte were both fantasy series in the first place? But I do agree, the sci-fi turn in Day I Became a God is much harder to swallow than "it's a mysterious illness so doctors don't know how to treat it". It helped that in, Clannad for example, most of the magical realism could be handwaved as superstition - spoiler[yes, Nagisa gets sicker every time the town changes, but it that really supernatural or just coincidence?] - While incorporating sci-fi elements like computer chips demands a level of realism that Maeda really doesn't seem interested in writing.

I was actually thinking during the ridiculous hacking scenes... Maeda has been doing scenario writing for video games and composing digital music his entire career, so surely he's pretty tech savvy? He's got to be writing these scenes this way purely by artistic choice, not from any lack of understanding like a lot of terrible hacking depictions are influenced by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoethiteGolem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Clannad underpinned it's entire drama with spoiler[an alternate post-apocalyptic world with the last surviving human girl and a robot]. Angel Beats! designed an entire purgatorial afterlife to work like a video game, and spoiler[it was a major plot point that you were able to hack into and exploit it]. Charlotte's plot spoiler[heavily involved time travel]. It's true that none of these were really sci-fi in a hard sense, but I feel like there's definitely aesthetic tendencies in that direction.
Piscataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It is sad, just how misunderstood this story is.
First off, this story is not an Ecchi as claimed.
This is a story of Love, Loss, Change & ultimately Hope.
All of the main characters embody, these properties. Love, in all of it's forms (& yes, that includes an unrequited crush, she developed while herself growing as a person). Loss & the many ways it is dealt with, or lack there of. As well as the changes they bring upon our lives.
Finally, the drive & direction Hope, with it's promise of a tomorrow to come & to experience them all again, in a whole new way.
The main character in her Awakened State. Brought all of the above to the rest & ultimately meaning to their lost & purposeless lives.
This story is without a doubt a Dramatic Trajedy, that is greatly underappreciated tear-jerker.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The Holy Order of the Goddess Madoka, finds you guilty of practicing Necromancy for raising the dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7