• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces New Partnerships With NAZ, Science Saru, MAPPA, Studio Mir

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It helps that some Netflix shows are actually starting to see home video releases. (Though Aggretsuko and Little Witch Academia when???)

I'm hitching on that 'LWA when?' bandwagon... Mad
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
this is the worst news I've seen in months

How so...?
I don't think you've been paying attention to 2020.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
this is the worst news I've seen in months

How so...?
I don't think you've been paying attention to 2020.

Eh, they could be ones who fully dislikes any anime for Netflix.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
What's with the Netflix hate memes?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
Chrizy wrote:

From what I’ve seen people don’t like the fact that Netflix has both timed and semi permanent exclusive content along with the fact some of their anime isn’t traditionally animated.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
^ I agree that that's one of the reasons why people don't like Netflix, but more than that I think it's because Netflix really only releases content in batches, and because so much of the discourse from anime revolves around the weekly release schedule, people are pissed that Netflix makes them wait for 2-3 months to watch it all in one chunk when they'd rather watch it weekly.

Personally, I don't mind their release schedule for anime and am interested in seeing what titles result from this. I'm probably most excited by their partnership with Studio Mir because their shows all look amazing, and Netflix already has a prior relationship with them due to their work on Voltron.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
^ I agree that that's one of the reasons why people don't like Netflix, but more than that I think it's because Netflix really only releases content in batches, and because so much of the discourse from anime revolves around the weekly release schedule, people are pissed that Netflix makes them wait for 2-3 months to watch it all in one chunk when they'd rather watch it weekly.

Personally, I don't mind their release schedule for anime and am interested in seeing what titles result from this. I'm probably most excited by their partnership with Studio Mir because their shows all look amazing, and Netflix already has a prior relationship with them due to their work on Voltron.

Same. But what I'm looking forward the most is MAPPA's anime(s). Their recent work from 2020 were the most gorgeous looking animes so far. All it needs is to make an entertaining story/set of characters combined with fluid animation like Jujutsu Kaisen, then the better.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Chrizy wrote:

From what I’ve seen people don’t like the fact that Netflix has both timed and semi permanent exclusive content along with the fact some of their anime isn’t traditionally animated.

And there's not enough of their stuff on home video in the US. Though things are starting to come out now, there was a huge gap of nothing between Blame (2018) & B: The Beginning (2020).
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I used to have Netflix, but they have nothing good aside from Disenchantment,Voltron, and She-Ra thats mainly the reason I canceled not because of how they treat their anime releases honestly however that did factor in my decision. I was wasting too much money on a platform I barely used and was tired of waiting for anime originals or their non anime originals.

Also why waste $36 ($12/mo) waiting on something when fansubs keep up with the weekly releases for free?
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrizy wrote:

I don't hate em, but people do take issue with their decision to not do weekly releases stateside, when they can in Japan. This is likely because Netflix wants the full dub and all episodes to go up as per their model where they are likely trying to reach out to more than just the anime community. So it is what it is. I personally don't mind waiting, but I also do like checking out episodes as they come, and I'm not the biggest fan of just binge watching stuff which can get excessive and tiresome, and people do like to discuss episodes as part of fandom every week which does keep the excitement and interest going.

There's also the issue where some series don't get physical releases, and well, the insistence on CG most of the time, though I believe the details are fuzzy on that and Netflix apparently claimed they never forced any style on studios, though it seems apparent that for whatever reason, between Netflix and Japanese studios, that they think reaching a wider Western audience means they are better off with CG instead of traditional animation due to the popularity of Disney, Pixar, Illumination, Dreamworks etc.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Studio deals are one thing but are they going to be all original works or adaptations of better-known IP's? Hey, as long as it means less Polygon Pictures, I'm for it.

Polygon's work was excellent when they worked on Transformers Prime but from what I understand, that show absolutely destroyed their pipeline and did a number on the studio itself which is why things that've come from them since (Sidonia, Godzilla trilogy, etc) have had the look they've had.

I was kind of wondering why some of the stuff I've seen from after Prime hasn't looked quite as good as Prime did.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:

Personally I'm not that bothered by their binge watch model either. I already watch way too much simulcast anime from other services every season as it is and Netflix only releases like a couple of shows a year so I can deal with waiting for a few shows. The Netflix binge watch model also seemed to benefit them earlier this year where everything was being delayed to the pandemic and Crunchyroll and Funimation had barely anything but Netflix was still putting out a steady stream of content.

I also appreciate having all of the dub out at once especially with the way things are nowadays where Funimation is just barely struggling to keep up with their simuldubs and aside from the Toonami shows or sequels there's like no simuldubs this season. My only real issue with Netflix anime is their lack of physical releases but we're already starting to see that changing with several shows lately. I think people are overreacting to this news personally as it just seems to be an extension of the same deal Netflix made with anime studios a couple of years ago when they started doing their streaming and I don't really see there being a significant change in the streaming landscape.

People complain every time Netflix is in the anime news but will still consume their content and go wild when they score a big hit like Beastars or BNA or Devilman Crybaby or something. I personally would love it if they were more flexible with their streaming model to allow simulcasting anime but I'm also not under the illusion they will ever actually listen to their critics. So it's just the kind of thing where you either wait for the show to come out, find another way to watch it, or don't watch at all.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
db999 wrote:

Personally I'm not that bothered by their binge watch model either. I already watch way too much simulcast anime from other services every season as it is and Netflix only releases like a couple of shows a year so I can deal with waiting for a few shows. The Netflix binge watch model also seemed to benefit them earlier this year where everything was being delayed to the pandemic and Crunchyroll and Funimation had barely anything but Netflix was still putting out a steady stream of content.

I also appreciate having all of the dub out at once especially with the way things are nowadays where Funimation is just barely struggling to keep up with their simuldubs and aside from the Toonami shows or sequels there's like no simuldubs this season. My only real issue with Netflix anime is their lack of physical releases but we're already starting to see that changing with several shows lately. I think people are overreacting to this news personally as it just seems to be an extension of the same deal Netflix made with anime studios a couple of years ago when they started doing their streaming and I don't really see there being a significant change in the streaming landscape.

People complain every time Netflix is in the anime news but will still consume their content and go wild when they score a big hit like Beastars or BNA or Devilman Crybaby or something. I personally would love it if they were more flexible with their streaming model to allow simulcasting anime but I'm also not under the illusion they will ever actually listen to their critics. So it's just the kind of thing where you either wait for the show to come out, find another way to watch it, or don't watch at all.

A reason why I'm positive with Netflix, they release all dubbed episodes almost at once.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:21 am Reply with quote
Chrizy wrote:
What's with the Netflix hate m̶e̶m̶e̶s̶?
The usual complaints have already been covered, like no simulcasting and some titles still not having a psychical releases, mainly LWA, I will add two of my own.

i really dislike them for how involved they are, and it also seems to be a trend starter as CR has recently gotten in on the action. And as someone else said, even if they are not forcing CG into titles, it appears the studios think that since Netflix is western, they should appeal to what they think westerners want, and they think westerners only what 3DCG.

And then there is their whole marketing approach, where they treat Anime not as a medium, but as a brand. That documentary was a great example where they advertise it as grimdark and dangerous.Like they are 90s MangaUK.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Since Netflix is partnering directly with these studios to produce shows, does that mean the studios will see more of the money?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4