• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon Manga Gets TV Anime in 2021 by GoHands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Still, wait until the rest of previews comes before passing judgment based on just one company.

Did Hand Shakers. Did sequel to Hand Shakers. They'll have to try pretty hard to subvert expectations...

They also did K, Mardock Scramble and Coppelion. Animation-wise, these were actually good.., Even if HandShakers is a major stain in anyone's reputation.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I never got to read Tokyo Babylon or watched the original OVA and my only familiarity with these characters is through X/1999 and Tsubasa Chronicles, but I always wanted to see a full adaptation of the manga to be made so I’m cautiously excited for this. I’m aware of the studio’s work with the infamous Hand Shakers but I’m hoping it’s less like that show and more like K and the promo seemed decent enough to me.

Quote:
2021 is the year of generic battle shounens and fujobait
Someone clearly is not familiar with CLAMP’s body of work if they’re calling Tokyo Babylon fujobait. Rolling Eyes

I was about to say that. Also, even if... The fujoshis deserve their share.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I expected a broad range of doomsaying from a thread about an announced GoHands adaptation of a beloved 90s shoujo property, but I have to admit, this one caught me off guard. Have we reached a point in the fandom where CLAMP's body of work is no longer common knowledge? If so, that's kind of sad.

CLAMP fan here! I'm feeling old. Really old...
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction was unbridled joy and excitement. Yes, Go Hands is concerning, but I enjoyed K and Coppelion, so I’m in the cautiously optimistic camp. And who knows, if it does well, we could get a remake of X, too!

Hellsoldier wrote:
I expected a broad range of doomsaying from a thread about an announced GoHands adaptation of a beloved 90s shoujo property, but I have to admit, this one caught me off guard. Have we reached a point in the fandom where CLAMP's body of work is no longer common knowledge? If so, that's kind of sad.

Me, three!!! Laughing
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I want to be excited for this, or even cautiously optimistic, but the trailer already looks like hot garbage. Even leaving behind the utter incompetence of Handshakers and W'z, I just hate GoHands' style. I think the way they use color is hideous, and direct opposition to the bright primary and secondary colors of Clamp's original aesthetic on the series. I hate the glowy gradients, washed-out pastels, and hokey lens flare that dominates the trailer. It's horrid.
Moko-chan ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
And who knows, if it does well, we could get a remake of X, too!

Or maybe CLAMP would finish the manga. After all these years I no longer believe that X will ever be finished...
Thaumana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Moko-chan Anime smile wrote:

Or maybe CLAMP would finish the manga. After all these years I no longer believe that X will ever be finished...

That reminds me how amazon listed volume 19 for a pretty long time in the coming soon section. Like almost 5 years or so...
I would be more excited about a remake and a final completion of this series tbh.

I don't recall much about the story in Tokyo Babylon, because I didn't own the volumes myself and only read them occasionally. The ending left a strong impression on me but apart from this I only funnily remember that Hokuto's fashion taste was kinda funky.

There was also a commentary by a japanese critic at the end of the first volume who talked about the demographics and how this manga series was rather more suitable for a seinen audience than a shoujo audience due to several subjects in the story. My memory of that commentary are a bit hazy but it helped me to reflect about the uncommon feeling I had during the read.because it apparently didn't feel like the usual shoujo stuff I collected back then. Would be quite interesting to read the manga again with new fresh eyes.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the character designs don’t look altogether CLAMP-like. But I’ll withhold judgement until I see the series. In the meantime, I’m excited. I loved Tokyo Babylon (and X/1999) when I read them when they came out - seems like a lifetime ago. TB has always needed an anime adaptation superior to the two short OVAs. Who knows? Maybe we’ll get a proper ending to X/1999 manga and it gets a new adaptation as well!
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Even leaving behind the utter incompetence of Handshakers and W'z, I just hate GoHands' style. I think the way they use color is hideous, and direct opposition to the bright primary and secondary colors of Clamp's original aesthetic on the series. I hate the glowy gradients, washed-out pastels, and hokey lens flare that dominates the trailer. It's horrid.

Thank you! I feel exactly the same. I love CLAMP, and especially their older works, and GoHands' style (as seen from the promotional materials so far and their past works) wouldn't do it justice, tbh.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Tokyo Babylon by GoHands? I'm in for this. angela gonna perform the OP song? To be continued.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction was unbridled joy and excitement. Yes, Go Hands is concerning, but I enjoyed K and Coppelion, so I’m in the cautiously optimistic camp. And who knows, if it does well, we could get a remake of X, too!

Hellsoldier wrote:

Me, three!!! Laughing

Aah, the young ones, who didn't grow up with Cardcaptor Sakura... Smile

Here's to a new X adaptation. I loved the anime series, but it could do with something more complete, even if the manga was never finished.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This rise of BL or (ish) anime adaptations is breathtaking. I'll have to thank Yuri On Ice for letting the productions realize there's an audience for it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP has been doing LGBTQ+ themes in their works for decades before YOI. Tokyo Babylon's manga is 30 years old now. YOI probably partially owes it to works like Cardcaptor Sakura and X/1999 and the original Tokyo Babylon manga for helping to pave the way to normalizing LGBTQ+ themes in mainstream anime decades ago.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I have a fondness for Subaru Sumeragi and onmyoji characters in general, so part of me is looking forward to this. But apparently this studio is terrible? I've never seen anything by them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kinds exciting news. I’ve pretty much given up on CLAMP, but in my younger days I was a fan.
Anyway, I’m not hating the character designs. Even CLAMP themselves have changed their artstyle over the years so I’m ok with them looking different now. As for the studio, I have no idea who they are, so I guess I’ll just go in blindly.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The manga in itself is "good" and the last worthwhile Clamp anything anime was xxxHolic so I am up for a "brand redemption" but the preview kinda misses the mark of the manga´s moody appeal. The present-day setting isn´t helping either. And GoHands? I don´t how this is supposed to work out.

Edit: The 2 non-canon 90s OVAs aren´ that great but they looked the part btw.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why people are saying its "moe" when Cardcaptor Sakura, Kobato, Wish, and countless other works have the """"moe""" art style. Either way, I don't think any animation studio could capture CLAMP's early 90's art style. I agree the dress on Hokuto is bad but I can't have any complaints. I wanted a Tokyo Babylon anime. If this how it's going to be then I'll gladly take it.

Moko-chan ^_^ wrote:

I have hope if the Tokyo Babylon anime does well (. spoiler[There is a chapter ALL about foreshadowing x/1999. Maybe fans might be confused or want to know more with the ending taking place in present-day of x/1999 ] .) then maybe they will try to finish x/1999 or do a remake anime with CLAMP doing the writings. I know the movie and anime aren't anything related to the true ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5