• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon Manga Gets TV Anime in 2021 by GoHands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited but disappointed in the character designs. I saw a tweet where someone would've preferred the design from Clamp in Wonderland 2 OP, and that does a better mix of the original CLAMP design and modern era. Seishirou needs his side shoulders dang it!!!
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know how anyone can sit through that trailer and show a modicum of excitement for this. It's the same garish badly composited garbage that GoHands loves to put out.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
I watched the PV three times and I still don't really see a problem with the art or character designs? It's different, but no anime is a perfect clone of its source manga, and this one is nearly 30 years old. The Banana Fish anime doesn't look like the manga, but it's still good. And I hate to say it, but even if they go full Handshakers on this, isn't that kind of ridiculousness kinda analogous to CLAMP's sometimes ridiculous style? I feel like Seishirou had some pretty huge yaoi hands at times... (lol)

Idk, I only read this manga for the first time last year, so maybe it doesn't have as much meaning to me as the people who read it forever ago, but I did like it a lot. The OVA however... I bought a used copy of the DVD on eBay, and wow that was the worst looking DVD I had ever seen (and no, I wasn't watching it on a huge TV or anything). The polar opposite of the beautiful Rayearth blu-rays. (of course it's not really fair to compare them.)
overlordrae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Never thought I'd be missing Clamp's broad shoulders but here we are. Seiishirou just looks like Fushimi and Subaru is giving me Shiro vibes. Which, I get GoHands has their style but...

I'll still be cautiously optimistic since overall I did enjoy K. I do wish that they took more visual cues from the manga than they did but tbh this was not expected and I'm glad to see Tokyo Babylon getting some love.
Idgal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
would have love SHAFT to do the animation.
i think a simpler, more mysterious style suits TB than extreme CGI effects
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I love the original 90's Tokyo Babylon OVAs and I think they're vastly underappreciated. Same with the X2 music video shorts. They have a certain ambiance and aesthetic feel which this preview video utterly lacks. There's also quite the change in the character designs as others mentioned. If someone showed me that PV blind without the title and without any text I doubt I'd recognize it as Tokyo Babylon at all.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: How does Gohands keep getting work? Outside of "K" their track record is pretty abysmal, and yet somehow companies continue to give them projects. I really can't figure it out.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
CLAMP has been doing LGBTQ+ themes in their works for decades before YOI. Tokyo Babylon's manga is 30 years old now. YOI probably partially owes it to works like Cardcaptor Sakura and X/1999 and the original Tokyo Babylon manga for helping to pave the way to normalizing LGBTQ+ themes in mainstream anime decades ago.

Queer? Arguably. Queer-friendly? Ehhhh, nope. I will agree that CLAMP laid a great dealt of groundwork, but I must also counter that they're also some of the absolute worst offenders when it comes to perpetuating harmful stereotypes and fetishizing inaccurate/unhealthy depictions of male homosexuality. If anything, the groundwork they laid was a big pile of "yikes" that other, more empathetic voices have been repaving ever since.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty excited to see more animated adaptions of the CLAMP universe until I read GoHands would be producing it...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I want to be excited for this, or even cautiously optimistic, but the trailer already looks like hot garbage. Even leaving behind the utter incompetence of Handshakers and W'z, I just hate GoHands' style. I think the way they use color is hideous, and direct opposition to the bright primary and secondary colors of Clamp's original aesthetic on the series. I hate the glowy gradients, washed-out pastels, and hokey lens flare that dominates the trailer. It's horrid.

All this, and let's not forget their inexplicable fondness for using smooth, easy-listening jazz to back their most actiony battle sequences.

I did like K, as its own thing, with its own style (except for the female character with the bookshelf boobs), but every damn thing they've done since looks the same, except with more clashing color washes, which just gives me traumatic flashbacks to their worst output. I was already wincing at the colors in just the title shot in the preview. Why does everything they do have to be hideous shades of neon pink and purple, usually together?

Lol, I never realized GoHands was responsible for Coppelion. That explains a lot. Laughing
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: How does Gohands keep getting work? Outside of "K" their track record is pretty abysmal, and yet somehow companies continue to give them projects. I really can't figure it out.

They were part of Satelight and the two main guys were leads on macross frontier so?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Same cast or we riot! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I watched the PV three times and I still don't really see a problem with the art or character designs? It's different, but no anime is a perfect clone of its source manga, and this one is nearly 30 years old. The Banana Fish anime doesn't look like the manga, but it's still good. And I hate to say it, but even if they go full Handshakers on this, isn't that kind of ridiculousness kinda analogous to CLAMP's sometimes ridiculous style? I feel like Seishirou had some pretty huge yaoi hands at times... (lol)

Idk, I only read this manga for the first time last year, so maybe it doesn't have as much meaning to me as the people who read it forever ago, but I did like it a lot. The OVA however... I bought a used copy of the DVD on eBay, and wow that was the worst looking DVD I had ever seen (and no, I wasn't watching it on a huge TV or anything). The polar opposite of the beautiful Rayearth blu-rays. (of course it's not really fair to compare them.)

Sure.

Have a look at the opening shot. Real trees don't move like that. The branches move... not in synchronisation, but I guess harmony. Lagging or leading, or opposite. Resonating. And the small branches move more than the large ones, bit the ones of about the same size move about the same distance and over the same period.

Instead the branches are shaking more-or-less randomly, and they've slathered some cheap cgi sakura petals over the top to distract you... and the petals aren't moving any more realistically, a wind that fast would be much more turbulent and uneven.

(The trees are too irregular, the petals too regular)

So it's not good, breaks verisimilitude. The human motion scenes honestly don't look much better, but -- oddly -- those shots are mostly very short and it's harder to dissect what's wrong with the way the people are moving.

Sort of thing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
i realise that this studio is infamous for some pretty bad stuff. But Mardock Scramble was arguably pretty good.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

You're not alone. The PV looks fine to me, but it's also incredibly short and just shows some trees and a person falling through the sky. But I watched W'z so I know why some people may not like it if it ends up being similar. The studio definately has a particular style, mainly with bright, over-saturated colors and neon effects. I didn't mind it, but maybe those with sensitive eyes might physically be turned off by it. But style is subjective at the end of the day. Some people swear up and down about studio Orange and how amazing their CG work is like Beastars but I could never get into that clunky CG style or find it appealing. I imagine it's the same case here for some people. Some people just don't like some things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5