• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon Manga Gets TV Anime in 2021 by GoHands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Me before PV: "Who was GoHands again?"
Me after PV:: "Oh, right, Handshakers."
To say more would be meaningless.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
marshmallowpie wrote:
I watched the PV three times and I still don't really see a problem with the art or character designs? It's different, but no anime is a perfect clone of its source manga, and this one is nearly 30 years old. The Banana Fish anime doesn't look like the manga, but it's still good. And I hate to say it, but even if they go full Handshakers on this, isn't that kind of ridiculousness kinda analogous to CLAMP's sometimes ridiculous style? I feel like Seishirou had some pretty huge yaoi hands at times... (lol)

Idk, I only read this manga for the first time last year, so maybe it doesn't have as much meaning to me as the people who read it forever ago, but I did like it a lot. The OVA however... I bought a used copy of the DVD on eBay, and wow that was the worst looking DVD I had ever seen (and no, I wasn't watching it on a huge TV or anything). The polar opposite of the beautiful Rayearth blu-rays. (of course it's not really fair to compare them.)

Sure.

Have a look at the opening shot. Real trees don't move like that. The branches move... not in synchronisation, but I guess harmony. Lagging or leading, or opposite. Resonating. And the small branches move more than the large ones, bit the ones of about the same size move about the same distance and over the same period.

Instead the branches are shaking more-or-less randomly, and they've slathered some cheap cgi sakura petals over the top to distract you... and the petals aren't moving any more realistically, a wind that fast would be much more turbulent and uneven.

(The trees are too irregular, the petals too regular)

So it's not good, breaks verisimilitude. The human motion scenes honestly don't look much better, but -- oddly -- those shots are mostly very short and it's harder to dissect what's wrong with the way the people are moving.

Sort of thing.

Ah yes, so this teaser looks bad because the branches of the tree... Rolling Eyes
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP always had an interesting art style, and the stories were all over the place but good! I never read manga but saw both previous animes. I hope it's not a redo of one of them and they give us something new or further along the old. Only time will tell.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Not so sure I'll like this having seen X TV and knowing the fates of the characters, but I'll probably give it a shot because I liked Go Hands' animation for the K Franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5