• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Inuyasha Spinoff Anime Yashahime's Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Since Inuyasha, Kagome and the old cast (I assume) would be largely absent in this sequel, I don't get the obsession to bring back Ocean to make the English dub.
bravesirz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Since Inuyasha, Kagome and the old cast (I assume) would be largely absent in this sequel, I don't get the obsession to bring back Ocean to make the English dub.

If you saw the first episode, it’s clearly a nostalgic project. Basically it’s set up similarly to “The Force Awakens” where we follow a new cast of characters as they go on a journey to discover what happened to our previous heroes.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Because they dubbed the original series. If the Japanese version felt the need for reprisals, why shouldn't the English dub do the same?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Because they dubbed the original series. If the Japanese version felt the need for reprisals, why shouldn't the English dub do the same?

For the record, I am in favor of bringing back as many of the old English VA's as possible and as needed.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
There is a small chance the old cast could reprise their roles. I have to wonder why whoevers voicing them wasn't announced along with the leads unless they want to break it to us gradually, they're still negotiating with Ocean or looking for the best soundalikes they can find. The returning characer cameos are going to give them the most trouble with this dub.

It's a shame Netflix couldn't dub this as they used Ocean recently for the Zoids Wild anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to see Ocean be brought back but I don’t think this necessarily means they can’t bring the original voice cast back with remote dubbing more of a thing now. We’ve seen with the Pokémon dub that is now being produced in LA but they’re still able to include the New York VAs in the show. It also makes more logistical sense to dub closer to home than to farm it out to Canada when the original cast seems to mainly have cameo roles in Yashahime and most of it is focused on the new cast. And as others have pointed out Sesshomaru’s dub VA is in LA so there would have been some remote dubbing involved anyway if it was done in Canada or they probably would have had to recast Sesshomaru. For people pointing out he’s in union acting now, union actors are not automatically excluded from non-union voice work, contrary to popular belief. And there’s been a lot of cases where they do non-union work under a stage name. Like Ian Hawk and Reba West.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
There is a small chance the old cast could reprise their roles. I have to wonder why whoevers voicing them wasn't announced along with the leads unless they want to break it to us gradually, they're still negotiating with Ocean or looking for the best soundalikes they can find. The returning characer cameos are going to give them the most trouble with this dub.

It's a shame Netflix couldn't dub this as they used Ocean recently for the Zoids Wild anime.

I assume that'll come later. They only annouced the main three girls because they're, well, the protagonists. The og protags will only be supporting characters at best.

I also would not get your hopes up about the Ocean cast. Funi is pretty good about reprisals but this is Viz, and based on Kira Buckland's tweet, Bang Zoom is dubbing this. BZ has a pretty terrible track record when it comes to bothering with reprisals. (Honestly, most of the outsourcing dubbing studios do. Funi's just able to do it because they work in-house.)
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

If they've replaced the original cast, announcing that would've likely dominated the conversation.

Unfortunately, Netflix has yet to commission a Canadian anime dub. Hasbro paid for Zoids Wild's, which is why it doesn't carry any Netflix branding spoiler[and is edited like it would've aired on daytime Cartoon Network]. They have a list of studios they typically work with and only two are in Canada, both based in Montreal. They've only dubbed a handful of Netflix's live-action productions so far.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would have loved to see Ocean be brought back but I don’t think this necessarily means they can’t bring the original voice cast back with remote dubbing more of a thing now. We’ve seen with the Pokémon dub that is now being produced in LA but they’re still able to include the New York VAs in the show. It also makes more logistical sense to dub closer to home than to farm it out to Canada when the original cast seems to mainly have cameo roles in Yashahime and most of it is focused on the new cast. And as others have pointed out Sesshomaru’s dub VA is in LA so there would have been some remote dubbing involved anyway if it was done in Canada or they probably would have had to recast Sesshomaru. For people pointing out he’s in union acting now, union actors are not automatically excluded from non-union voice work, contrary to popular belief. And there’s been a lot of cases where they do non-union work under a stage name. Like Ian Hawk and Reba West.

Earlier posts in this thread should help to explain why Pokemon or other cross-regional U.S. dubs are not comparable to this. It's pretty telling that the only anime dub anyone can think of with a mix of union Canadian actors and nonunion American ones, is a 7-episode OVA from 16 years ago.

Michael Daingerfield already replaced David Kaye as Sesshomaru during The Final Act. That is who Ocean would've cast had Viz not decided to penny-pinch. It's not impossible for Kaye to show up in Bang Zoom's Yashahime dub, but I wouldn't count on it. He's not one of those actors who bounces between nonunion and union work. In fact, he hasn't been in a single anime dub since moving to LA over a decade ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The leads seem well cast but I am concerned about whether they were able to get any of the original VA's back (especially considering Bang Zoom's reputation and whether Viz would even make the effort).

I mean, I was expecting this to be an LA dub, but for this kind of project you would kind of hope they'd get back the original VA's. Even if they're not main characters I don't think people will be happy with any recasting in this instance.

Also, did Morgan Berry officially move to LA? I'm never sure when a Texas VA has moved to LA or were just able to record for something while they were there for a week or something, but she's gotten a lot more LA roles as of late.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope they at least try to bring back the old cast for the first episode one. Inuyasha won't sound right without Richard, yet if they brought most back for Final Act, they might could for Yashahime.

After episode 4, I wonder if Willow Johnson has said anything on reprising Kikyo. Now I know some of the cast will be recasted due to age. Sota, Shippo (if he shows up), Kohaku to name a few. Kagome, I dunno if they'd recast her since she would be an adult during this and Rin as well since they'd need more adult voices. So some recasting might have to happen, but for the others (Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Miroku, Kaede..ect) hopefully not.

Well...Kaede might...is her VA still kicking? I know she had two of them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Earlier posts in this thread should help to explain why Pokemon or other cross-regional U.S. dubs are not comparable to this. It's pretty telling that the only anime dub anyone can think of with a mix of union Canadian actors and nonunion American ones, is a 7-episode OVA from 16 years ago.

All we can do is wait and see instead of worrying about things we can't really control. And if they do get recast, oh well the sub exists and the Japanese cast are also very talented in their roles.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Probably because voice over is much more complicated here than it is in Japan? This is nothing new. Sure it sucks that the former actors (possibly) won reprise their roles, but it happens.

Im sure if Funi themselves were dubbing it they would have more than likely got the original actors back. They more than often do, but Viz clearly doesn't play that game.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Primus wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Probably because voice over is much more complicated here than it is in Japan? This is nothing new. Sure it sucks that the former actors (possibly) won reprise their roles, but it happens.

Im sure if Funi themselves were dubbing it they would have more than likely got the original actors back. They more than often do, but Viz clearly doesn't play that game.

Fruits Basket is a fine example of that point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is an interesting example of the opposite where all the Japanese cast was recast but the dub brought back most of the original cast. Same thing also happened with FMAB and Digimon Tri.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Fruits Basket is an interesting example of the opposite where all the Japanese cast was recast but the dub brought back most of the original cast. Same thing also happened with FMAB and Digimon Tri.

Wasn't FMAB a mix of returning and replacements? (For JP, but I'm realizing that applies to JP and EN.) I'm glad Funi got Laura back for Furuba too, Tohru would've sounded wrong without her.

Viz doesn't really have the same track record Funi does, anyways. If they get the OG cast back for reprisals only I'll give this dub a watch (esp if it airs on Toonami), if not I'll stick with the sub.

Last edited by FlowerAiko on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4