• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Cure 101: Everything You Need to Know And Some Things You Don't

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently halfway through Star Twinkle in a marathon of all PreCure from the beginning. Some of those were rewatches.

HeartCatch is the best, although don't watch it expecting THE BEST!!!!. However it's the strongest emotionally and gets better on rewatching, whereas Hugtto (which can be brilliant) does the opposite.

I love Honoka and Nagisa. Futari wa isn't the very strongest series (with the underrated Splash Star having more emotional power), but I just love that duo. Always will.

KiraKira is actually unwatchable.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm a bit surprised Hugtto didn't make the list as I recall it was pretty popular when it aired even among casual magical girl fans that didn't normally watch Precure. It was certainly one of my first Precure shows though I had seen some of the original and Smile before Hugtto came out.

Perhaps in the west, but in the Japanese fandom there was a notable dip in popularity from the previous years Kira Kira to Hugtto.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Perhaps in the west, but in the Japanese fandom there was a notable dip in popularity from the previous years Kira Kira to Hugtto.

After KiraKira I wasn't much in the mood for more Precure either (the designs and theming weren't very enticing to top it off).
I wouldn't have watched it on its debut if it weren't because I had always wanted to see Ogura Yui as a Cure. Fortunately it ended up being one of the better seasons.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
Healin' Good (which I'm watching now) is my first Pretty Cure and I absolutely adore it, and this article hit the nail on the head as to why. I'm definitely watching more after this. As a huge fan of shoujo and optimistic, sweet anime this whole franchise is perfect for me.

Healin' Good is going to be my second favorite new anime this year (My Next Life as a Villainess is first place). Plus I love youkai and other nature spirits so the animals and elements in Healin' Good are right up my alley (I see them as types of youkai). Also, the main villain trio is interesting and fun, so much that I kind of hope they become good guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HomuraNagato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
A lovely article written by someone that is a dedicated fan of Precure. I enjoyed the writing style. My favorite quote is "it ensured Precure's place in the Toei Pantheon of Properties That Make A Lot Of Money". I'm happy to read anything Precure.
angelmetatron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a lovely article and a good read for those peeps who are curious about this amazing franchise.

The first Precure that I encountered was Futari wa Precure and then Yes Precure 5 and then Fresh Precure. However, it was HeartCatch that pulled me down the rabbit hole with its very different art style, story, characters and their development, and the really amazing sakuga. HeartCatch still remains one of my fave series.

My next fave would be Go! Princess Precure and I agree that Haru-Haru is one of the best team leaders and god I so relate to her so much especially about supporting your dreams and aspirations both yourself and to the people around you.

Toei isn't afraid of experimenting and I could remember the time when they experimented with omitting the thing that made Precure, well, Precure and that's the action-packed fight scenes. I noticed this thing started with Maho Tsukai Precure and it went to KiraKira Precure Ala Mode. However, these two instalments might lack in action, it compensated on character development, especially on Ala Mode.

I love the series to bits, very passionate about it, and care for it so much. I even managed to pull friends to this rainbow-coloured rabbit hole and never regretted it ever since.

Quote:
Precure fans never shut up about Precure.

Yes, and I would like to apologize to everyone around me who are not part of the fandom. I would also like to thank them for enduring our fangasms from time to time.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
I have now finished Healin’ Good and am now watching Kira Kira and the currently airing Tropical Rouge.

I must say that I absolutely adore Pretty Cure now.

All three series are amazing, and I want to watch the rest so badly. I hope Crunchyroll picks up the others.

P.S. My Pretty Cure name is Cure Cantata!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2