• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TorrentFreak: MPA Lawyers Send Letters to Alleged Nyaa Site Personnel to Shut Site Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget that there have been times the MPAA/MPA has committed copyright infringement.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The MPA can't do shit against anime piracy. Hell, no one can do anything against piracy, except make your product the best for legitimate users as you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Rouward wrote:
#Synaesthesia wrote:
all the AMV editors: Shocked Shocked Shocked

AMV has been long dead when Youtube enforced a stricter content id.

I don't get why we keep using the word "dead" to mean "still popular but no longer a mainstream fad."

Same goes for torrenting since, as we hear every time we have one of these incidents, it's no longer ubiquitous but still widely used for the numerous shows which are difficult or impossible to stream legally, especially outside the US/Canada/Europe. Since it's still hard to construe individuals sharing digital files as illegal, it's not going away anytime soon. Any law that actually banned that sort of thing would have far too many Orwellian side effects... though that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the MPAA get bored of the whack-a-mole lawsuit game by 2010 or so? I mean when the original Nyaa went down, several others took its place. If this one shuts down, the same thing will happen again. Gabe Newell's statement still holds true: piracy isn't a pricing problem, it's a service problem. Give people a product worth paying for, and they will absolutely pay for it. The ones who still don't were never going to in the first place anyway.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Give people a product worth paying for, and they will absolutely pay for it. The ones who still don't were never going to in the first place anyway.

Indeed. You know your product is good when people buy your product to support you even after they've torrented it.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nyaa doesn't actually store copyrighted files, which was a loophole a lot of torrent sites have been using for decades now. This should be interesting

They also have strict rules about uploading american content that obviously aren't being followed if the MPAA is involved.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
In the article they didn't mention who the companies are that they are representing or what movies or shows they are complaining about.

That would say a lot about where this is going.

The danger in using Nyaa is because of how torrenting works. If you have to use it, use it only for rare and old (really old, not new age old) anime.

Let's not forget what Funimation did some years ago. Don't wish that on anyone.
chocorade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:40 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Let's not forget what Funimation did some years ago. Don't wish that on anyone.

Someone please enlighten me with this, I want the tea lol
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-25/funimation-sues-1337-bittorrent-users-over-one-piece

Not only did you have to pay the legal fees and fines, but had to compensate Funimation for all the users that you shared the show with during your torrent download action. Which most likely would be in the several hundred users bracket.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
Seems like anti-piracy resources would be better utilized going after bootleg streaming sites, as those are where the real action and view numbers are. (Not to mention, shutting them down helps eliminate the "I didn't even know it was illegal" gray zone inhabited by many anime viewers.) Nyaa and torrent sites more broadly are no longer the Grand Central Station of anime piracy. For the most part, they're now the utility corridor that transfers direct rips of legal streams by HorribleSubs and its successors to the bootleg streaming sites, and the latter will surely find other avenues if major torrent sites actually do get shuttered. It would be unfortunate to lose access to raws and some older/obscure releases, although as with any piracy venue, most users are there for the new/popular stuff that is -- depending on region -- readily and legally available.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If only corporations made media more easily accessible instead of having dozens of streaming sites you have to subscribe to and keeping major franchises popular overseas unlicensed for decades. Like obviously things are better than they were back in the 90s or whatever but you still have a lot of shows popular internationally that are unlicensed like Macross or older Precure show that it's still more complicated to watch though at least Precure is finally starting to make some progress in the West after decades of fans begging Toei for scraps.
"Dozens of streaming sites," really? You don't even need a dozen sites to get every anime that's legally available in the US, and the vast majority are on less than half as many sites. And as someone who's personally translated and uploaded numerous older Precure episodes on the site in question, I can tell you that it's far from an "internationally popular" franchise.

capt_bunny wrote:

According to some people's logic "anime is a luxury."

Um, that's how its investors and creators intend it...?

Rouward wrote:
AMV has been long dead when Youtube enforced a stricter content id.

The original / pre-Youtube hub for AMVs, animemusicvideos.org, is still alive and marginally active.

fuuma_monou wrote:

That's why the actual streams for Funimation anime are geo-blocked, yes. So why geo-block the entire website so that it's impossible to browse (unless you use a VPN) outside the U.S. and Canada?

Because then they get "Why does Funimation let us look at their site but not let us watch any videos???" Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

ErikaD.D wrote:
So they are OK with region locking/geoblocking and licensing issues? Why don't they complaining of Funimation, which its own website is region locked outside U.S. and five countries.
If all illegal anime and mangas websites shutdown -- it will be more inaccessible and it's so backwards.

Any of Funimation's regional licenses are fully negotiated with and approved by the Japanese companies that own the content. Why would any copyright enforcement entity take issue with them? As usual, if other areas have viable paying audiences, companies that're actually in those areas need to pick up the licenses, instead of everyone relying on US businesses to service every possible location.

It's probably unlikely that all illegal sites would be shut down, but from the perspective of the content owners, that illegal accessibility isn't helpful. Not when it's viewers watching on illegal sites, telling all their friends to do the same, then those friends tell their friends, and so on. If underserved areas want to keep their illegal anime options open, they might want to operate sites with translations in their own local languages, instead of relying on the English-language scene that has a much bigger enforcement target on its back.

Top Gun wrote:
Gabe Newell's statement still holds true: piracy isn't a pricing problem, it's a service problem. Give people a product worth paying for, and they will absolutely pay for it. The ones who still don't were never going to in the first place anyway.

His statement about a different industry (one that actually has technical avenues to make pirated versions worse than legitimate ones) is not true for anime and the "unique" culture of its viewerbase. I mean, do you really think the "I object to multiple subscriptions" contingent would pay anything resembling the cost of several subscriptions combined for a single service? No -- they don't want to pay more than X amount (~$10 a month), and consider anything higher to be "anti-consumer." Pricing problem.

And we saw in the late 2000s that the "everyone pirates to watch, then buys it if they like the show" model didn't work, and in fact led to collapse. Plenty of much-loved titles, that viewers clearly saw as "good products," completely bombed in sales. Granted, there was something of a "service problem" back then in the 1-2-year delay between JP airing and US release, and the physical-media-only nature of those releases. But when companies fixed those issues by moving to streaming and releasing within hours of the JP broadcasts, viewers just moved the goalposts, even though prices (which weren't supposed to be a problem Question) were dramatically reduced as well. Since anime seems to attract disproportionate numbers of the "I never would've paid for it anyway Wink Wink" crowd, is it any wonder companies would look to get pirate sites shut down?
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-25/funimation-sues-1337-bittorrent-users-over-one-piece

Not only did you have to pay the legal fees and fines, but had to compensate Funimation for all the users that you shared the show with during your torrent download action. Which most likely would be in the several hundred users bracket.

? I don't remember any of that happening. I only remember it being dismissed.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
The MPAA can't do a thing. Even if it shuts down, another site will take its place.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
It's like they don't realize that if people don't have access to anime, they're not going to be spending money on anime merch.
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Close sites with scans. Don't give legal option to read manga.
Close sites with anime. Don't give legal option to watch anime.
I know that Japan don't care if someone outside country read or don't read manga or watch anime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I mean, do you really think the "I object to multiple subscriptions" contingent would pay anything resembling the cost of several subscriptions combined for a single service? No -- they don't want to pay more than X amount (~$10 a month), and consider anything higher to be "anti-consumer." Pricing problem.

Personally, I think anyone who pays money to rent content is an idiot.

And anyone who pays money to rent censored content is a bigger idiot.

And let's not forget companies (*cough* Funimation) like censoring Blu-rays for the Western market. (*cough* Tsugumomo)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4