• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TorrentFreak: MPA Lawyers Send Letters to Alleged Nyaa Site Personnel to Shut Site Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Why's it being called the MPA now instead of the MPAA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
#917301 wrote:
Personally, I think anyone who pays money to rent content is an idiot.

And anyone who pays money to rent censored content is a bigger idiot.

And let's not forget companies (*cough* Funimation) like censoring Blu-rays for the Western market. (*cough* Tsugumomo)

Better thank those "idiots" for funding the industry (and the translations used by bootleg sites) for you, then. The anime viewerbase has spoken loud and clear that they don't want to permanently own content, as evidenced by the shift in piracy from torrents and other downloads to streaming. They are also clearly fine with watching the censored versions, since most views, legal or otherwise, take place during the JP broadcasts -- when the censored versions are the only game in town. Blu-Ray rips barely get any downloads.

And for the 9,024th time, Tsugumono was a case of the Japanese side providing censored TV masters, not Funimation employing a non-existent censorship department to alter the footage. Take your grievances up with Pony Canyon for not giving Funi the uncensored version for all episodes.

Tenebrae wrote:
Incorrect. They intend it to be, and it is, a commodity.
Yes, it is a commodity... a commodity in which companies invest money to produce, and hope to gain more money in sales than they put in. Just like any other commercial product. In no market do production companies make anime as freely and easily available as it is on bootleg sites, not even Japan. Viewers are expected to pay some combination of cable/satellite fees, broadcast licensing fees, streaming site subscriptions, theater tickets, and home video / physical media costs (for OVAs and uncensored TV series).

SHD wrote:
Um, and then why isn't my money good enough for them...?

Again: here I am trying to give them money for the digital(!!!) content I want, and they're either not giving me that content for my money, or not letting me give them my money in the first place.
Those are two separate issues. Regional unavailability, while unfortunate, doesn't change anime's status as luxury niche entertainment targeted at nerds in wealthy countries.

zrdb wrote:
I'm not going to say which side of the fence I'm on but I will say that I hate goddamn copyright trolls
How are they "trolls" when they own the content? Are you equally as mad at the "security trolls" that install anti-theft systems and post guards at store exits?

H.Guderian wrote:
"THIS TIME we'll end Napster for good!!!"
"THIS TIME Kazaa will be stopped for good!!!"

I'm enjoying the ride, no really.

Neither of those have been active piracy applications for years, if not decades. And they were shut down by legal action, not simply by companies solving "service problems." Perhaps the real difference in the prevalence of anime piracy vs. mainstream entertainment piracy is that the companies behind mainstream entertainment have more enforcement resources at their disposal.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There’s also the issue of media preservation which I feel like this would make much harder especially with the anime licenses tend to only last five to seven years and whether a show gets rescued licensed again depends on how successful it was when it came out a lot of the time and how much money a company thinks they can make money off of.
lostrune wrote:
The whole "only pirate older series" thing is no more true than that old emulation mantra of "only download/play ROMs for games you actually own".

There certainly is some "archival" component involved, but it's a bit disingenuous when pirates portray themselves as noble preservationists being unfairly harassed by big companies for sharing Chuck Norris Superkicks Colecovision ROMs from 1983 -- despite the piracy numbers showing that most users are there for the newest, most popular works that are legally available.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

There certainly is some "archival" component involved, but it's a bit disingenuous when pirates portray themselves as noble preservationists being unfairly harassed by big companies for sharing Chuck Norris Superkicks Colecovision ROMs from 1983 -- despite the piracy numbers showing that most users are there for the newest, most popular works that are legally available.
But then I wonder how people who are just downloading anime to watch the latest episode of Boruto or whatever aren't just getting those shows from the unofficial streaming sites with the malware popup ads versus people who are using Nyaa to like download the latest episode of Kamen Rider or something where torrenting requires a little more time consumption and hardware space than your casual anime fan is really familiar with nowadays. If anime fans are wanting instant gratification for shows, torrenting is a lot more time consuming than just going directly to Crunchyroll or Funimation, but I think it still serves an important purpose for some shows and fandoms that otherwise would fall through the cracks that still have complicated licensing issues or don't get picked up for whatever reason.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The anime viewerbase has spoken loud and clear that they don't want to permanently own content, as evidenced by the shift in piracy from torrents and other downloads to streaming.

False. Otherwise the RightStuf would be out of business and Amazon wouldn't have any anime sales.

I permanently own physical anime content. Laserdiscs, DVDs, and much more BD's.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
People still like to collect physical media, and at ridiculous prices
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So, any updates on this, anyone know? Or did the entire effort fizzle out, it's been a month and a half with nothing happening?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, Nyaa is still at its normal location and seems to be fully functional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4