• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I love Yomiko Readman myself; she is my favorite character from R.O.D. That said, is she really appropriate for this contest? Obviously her paper manipulation skills are baddass to be sure, but when I read the early part of this topic the posts by Psycho 101 suggest that this is about attitude and swagger more than it is badass abilities. Yomiko certainly has impressive powers but she falls flat in attitude or swagger department. I'd say the same about Saitama from One Punch Man--obviously his powers are top tier but his attitude is far from badass.

Well, if they don't make it to the finals, they don't make it. Remember, we've got 120+ characters in this thing, so there are plenty of spots to fill. And then we'll probably have to make arguments in each round just so they can advance.

With the tourney theme based on "swagger and attitude," perhaps Yomiko and Saitama won't make it that deep. But I guess we'll see how well we can present a case for whoever we're voting for. Think of this as putting our knowledge of lore, ability to analyze, and fandom to the test like.. anime lawyers.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget if you don't feel a character should make it in you can give it a -1 vote. Nothing is stopping people from doing it. If a character has negative votes at the end of the voting period they're out, period. Plus, as Tony said we're going to have 120+ characters. There's going to be a LOT of 1st round exits over the 4 brackets. She could easily be one that gets knocked out in round 1.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
Don't have time today to write up reasons or post pictures, but I'd like to nominate the following characters:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock:
Harlock

Space Adventure Cobra:
Cobra

City Hunter:
Ryo Saeba
Umibōzu

I don't think that I've seen them on the list yet.

They have not been nominated yet, but the rules do state that you need to post your reasons for each nomination and a photo for reference. Unless you do that these nominations won't count. Sorry, but everyone has to follow that rule. Once you have time you can edit your post and add them. Once you do that the nominations will officially count and be added to the list. Thanks.

My post has been edited to include the required pictures and reason for nomination.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. I liked the Harlock nomination and had planned to make it myself. So I nominated him as well to make sure he didn't missed. So I'll take your nomination for him as a +1 vote for him. The rest were added to the list.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
And the official cut off period has arrived. No more nominations will be allowed. We have more than enough to fill out a nice full 128 entrant tournament. Now comes the week long voting period. This is where everyone can focus on voting for, or against nominated characters.

The way it works is quite simple. Everyone can give either a +1 or a -1 to each of the nominated characters. You can only give a +1 or -1 one time to each individual. You are not required to give either a +1 or -1 to anyone. If you simply want to give a +1, or -1, to a few nominated characters that is fine. As I said, just one upvote or downvote per character from each person. Once this next week it up we'll see where things stand. As mentioned before the tentative rules are any character with a negative vote count by the end of voting is eliminated, and each series will only have the top 3 characters (based on the votes) from that franchise automatically make it in. Any series with more than 3 participants will have the extra characters outside the top 3 go to a secondary pool of characters. If after the voting and official entry for the rest of the nominated characters leaves us below the 128 character number for the tournament then those extra characters will be allowed in. They will be allowed in based on upvote numbers going from most to least until we reach the 128 participant number. If anyone wants to see the current voting status of characters just check my second post back on page one. The list will be updated daily with upvotes and downvotes.

If we need any sort of run off voting for some reason we'll handle it then with a brief 48 hour run off vote. For now though all you need to worry about is casting some votes if you so desire. Smile Once the voting period is done and the official numbers are in I will get the brackets made. The tentative start date for the official tournament will be Monday December 28th. I figure it's best to wait until after Christmas so people can focus on being with families.

Last but not least this one week voting period is also the last week long period to announce if you want to participate in the mini game. There is no extra work required on your end to participate. Just say you want to before the tournament starts. I will keep track via a point system of how many correct "votes" people make during the tournament. For each matchup if the person you vote for wins that matchup you will get points. They will incrementally go up in the different levels of the tournament. Opening round, quarterfinals, semi-finals, etc. Again, all you need to do is participate and vote. Out of those who do participate whoever has the most points wins. The prize will be a $50 gift certificate funded by myself to either Amazon, Right Stuf, or Robert's Anime Corner Store.

Lastly, a big thank you to all who nominated characters for the tournament. We have a nice wide range of characters from all sorts of genres and decades. Thanks to Tony as well for the unexpected, but very appreciated, help.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
I will participate in the minigame, though I don't expect to win (which is why I didn't nominate several of my other favorites)

Also, please vote... Surprised
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
Add me to the list of minigame participants!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Both of you have been added. May the winds ever be in your favor. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I went through the list and did the math just to see ahead of time, and given the amount of characters nominated vs the amount in the tournament (128) there will be 35 that get cut. I looked at the series with more than 3 participants and subtracted those extra to see how many there are. There is 31 of them. So unless there is a massive amount of characters with negative votes that get eliminated all of the series with more than 3 nominations will only have their top 3 make it. There won't be any extra chances. So make sure you check out those series in particular because the votes reallllyyyy count there. I thought everyone would like to know as this might influence how people vote.

If there are ties for the top 3 spots in a series by the end of voting there will be the 48 hour runoff vote just for those series to determine the top 3.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I could, I'd secure Reiner a place in the tournament, but I can't...
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I went through the list and did the math just to see ahead of time, and given the amount of characters nominated vs the amount in the tournament (128) there will be 35 that get cut. I looked at the series with more than 3 participants and subtracted those extra to see how many there are. There is 31 of them. So unless there is a massive amount of characters with negative votes that get eliminated all of the series with more than 3 nominations will only have their top 3 make it. There won't be any extra chances. So make sure you check out those series in particular because the votes reallllyyyy count there. I thought everyone would like to know as this might influence how people vote.

If there are ties for the top 3 spots in a series by the end of voting there will be the 48 hour runoff vote just for those series to determine the top 3.

What if no one votes during the voting period?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I assume this voting period is the same as the various votes that many of us have already posted? If so I've already got my votes in.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Appleseed, Deunan Knute +1
Armitage, Naomi Armitage +1
Beserk, Guts +1
Black Lagoon, Balalaika +1
Claymore, Teresa +1
Fate Franchise, Archer (Gilgamesh) +1
Fullmetal Alchemist, Izumi Curtiss +1
Fullmetal Alchemist, Scar +1
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Edmond Dantes +1
Ghost in the Shell, Motoko Kusanagi +1
Hellsing Ultimate, Hellsing +1
Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade, Kazuki Fuse +1
Made in Abyss, Ozen the Immovable +1
Mobile Suit Gundam, Char Aznable +1
Ninja Scroll, Jubei Kibagami +1
Princess Mononoke, Lady Eboshi +1
Rurouni Kenshin, Saito Hajime +1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:06 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I assume this voting period is the same as the various votes that many of us have already posted? If so I've already got my votes in.

Yes it is.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Well, if I could, I'd secure Reiner a place in the tournament, but I can't...

I was thinking about this the other day. Obviously it could be a bit unfair to allow people to vote for their own nominations. But at the same time the current system actually offers an incentive not to nominate characters and instead to sit back and vote when someone else does the nomination.

For example: it's a given that in a tournament like this characters like Spike Spiegel, Guts, or Saito Hajime are essentially guaranteed nomination. So do you nominate that character yourself and miss out on a vote, or do you wait for someone else to make the nomination and then jump in with a +1?

Perhaps in future tournaments there could be a rule that you're allowed to vote for exactly one of your own nominations? Or perhaps some ratio, like for every 10 nominations you make you get 1 vote? Just an idea to toss out for discussion. I think that could allow people making a lot of nominations to have a little voting input without it devolving into something silly like nominating 30 characters and giving them all +1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10