• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yakuza: Like a Dragon Localization Producer Scott Strichart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Should have pressed him on any censorship in the game, like the last few localizations have done. Though I guess that's what he meant by 'past sensibilities'.

Now people will have to wait till third party people confirm it or not.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:20 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the great interview! Very interesting questions & answers. I have a lot of admiration for the Yakuza localization team and it sounds like the localization of Yakuza 7 will turn out great, too!
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Nice interview. I can agree that I want more Judge Eyes. One would think Nagoshi would be alternating between it and RGG.

Quote:
That's when Sony stepped in and said, “hey, we'll help you get this out.”

Thanks to Sony and the power of the PS4 and its owners, RGG recovered greatly in the West. Other series have been revived due to the PS4 during its generation.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Great interview! It's always interesting to hear from someone involved in localization like this to get their view on things from that end.

With such a renaissance with the Yakuza franchise, I hope we can see either Ishin & Kenzan get released somehow in English, or just another game set in those time periods.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Seeing "localization" used to essentially mean "translation, but for Japanese video games and anime" is really odd; equating the two is probably why we ended up with Yakuza scripts full of netspeak.

You can say that "localization is just a natural part of translation" and "it's what we call rephrasing stuff to sound natural in a different language" - but if that were the case in this particular series, you wouldn't have the characters talk about "poggers" in re-translations of 2000s games written before Twitch even existed, or the subtitles saying "holy shitballs" in a serious scene where the character wasn't originally saying anything of the sort.

edit: ok 'poggers' wasn't actually in the game and was a player text input thing, still too many memes in these games. I like the ps2 and ps4 games and always wanted to play the ps3 ones but never had a ps3; now that the HD rereleases of those games got a new translation team and Nagoshi praised them after replacing and making up so much (despite not even knowing English himself), I have no desire to play them or really support the franchise anymore

Last edited by kakugo complete on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
You can say that "localization is just a natural part of translation" and "it's what we call rephrasing stuff to sound natural in a different language" - but if that were the case in this particular series, you wouldn't have the characters talk about "poggers" in re-translations of 2000s games written before Twitch even existed, or the subtitles saying "holy shitballs" in a serious scene where the character wasn't originally saying anything of the sort.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "localization is just a natural part of translation" in good faith. I've only ever seen it said in the context of vocal translators and their defenders trying to justify their translations in response to criticism. Like, the kind of scenarios where people try to equate translating urusai as "shut up" instead of "noisy" as being the exact same thing as inserting meme-speak like what you said or flat out actual censorship and removing content they don't like in a work.
MilaSen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
Great interview! I admire people who are localizing. I understand how complicated this process is. When I was translating Japanese manga, it caused me a lot of difficulties. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to use the translator which specializes in translating languages ​​that are difficult to learn. And although my knowledge of Japanese is high, some adverbs are still incomprehensible to me Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1