• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon 2021 TV Anime Unveils Cast, Staff, New Video, April Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 am Reply with quote
The seiyu seem well-cast but the designs look a little less...cutesy, than I remember.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 am Reply with quote
Uh, yeahhhh, really not looking forward to this. Even putting aside the art, I've found, from what I've watched from GoHands (K and Coppelion, specifically), that GoHands is very, very bad at pacing a story properly. Like, so phenomenally bad that I wonder if they're doing it on purpose. Add their weird lens filters and terrible camera angles, and you get some Really Bad Anime. The only way my expectations for this show could be any lower would be if Lerche was doing it.

So I'm just going to... pretend this adaptation doesn't exist. Yeah. Taking the willful ignorance route to preserve my good memories of this series.

Well, at least we're getting a new Nana song from all this, is all I can say.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Then...what the hell happened to GoHands?! They had such potential with K and then Handshakers had to go and screw it up! God, why do they do this.
Tokyo Babylon 2021, don't mess this up, please.

GoRA did the writing for K, that's why the story was pretty decent and coherent. They were pretty much the best thing to happen to GoHands as they made such a good team, I'm eternally disappointed they didn't continue GoRAxGoHands past the K franchise.

Also why do these companies always feel the need to modernize older titles by bringing them to the present (Banana Fish and Fruits Basket come to mind)? Why can't they let us bask in the nostalgia? lol
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope this is worth it. It bothers me that they retconned it to be set in 2021 instead of 1991. And MECHA? REALLY? I know THAT wasn't in the original manga.

That's just sloppy translation - here "mech" doesn't mean mecha (as in giant robots and whatnot) but all sorts of mechanics, like vehicles, gadgets, etc.

Fenrin wrote:
Also why do these companies always feel the need to modernize older titles by bringing them to the present (Banana Fish and Fruits Basket come to mind)? Why can't they let us bask in the nostalgia? lol

I don't know, but it pretty much ruined Banana Fish as far as I'm concerned. It's not even the nostalgia factor, it's that Banana Fish is so deeply entrenched in its era that taking it out from there just didn't work. Like, yes, technically you can remake Apocalypse Now and set it in Afghanistan or whatever, but it won't work.

I don't really mind it in this case (or in case of Fruits Basket), though. Or in the upcoming Night Head 2041, which I'm so incredibly excited about that nothing can ruin the hype for me at this point (unless they cast Aoi Shouta, Miyano Mamoru or Sugita Tomokazu, I guess).

Last edited by SHD on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

While I do think modernizing Banana Fish hurt the anime adaptation a bit (even though I still enjoyed it for the most part), I don't think it really affected Fruits Basket much. Aside from seeing characters occasionally use smartphones and newer TVs, you can hardly tell the setting was changed. And Fruits Basket is such a timeless story that you could arguably set it in any decade and it would still work.

In regards to this preview, though...I'm very unsure about it. Hand Shakers scarred me even though I've only seen clips of that series, so I've become wary of anything GoHands makes since then.
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
SHD wrote:
Everything else aside...

Aoi Shouta?

Aoi "I'm Cute But I Couldn't Act My Way Out Of A Plastic Bag" Shouta?

Uhhhhh okay. Yet another questionable talent decision for the sake of stunt casting. I suppose they're banking on the character songs and stuff.

Ooph. But also true. That was totally my gut reaction, too, and I haven't actually heard him in much outside of Symphogear and Granblue.

This trailer also doubles down by making him a victim of what I call "the Nana Mizuki Effect," where basically everybody, no matter their chops (or lack thereof) just sounds like they aren't trying hard enough next to Nana Mizuki.

It's King Amusement Creative, the cast will be full of King Records artists. Expect Horie Yui, Minase Iori and maybe Ogura Yui and Miyano Mamoru in supporting roles.

I like Aoi Shota as an idol, but he seems to be shoved into roles he is not suited for. They really should have just got Uchida Yuuma instead, he's in King Records, and is a capable seiyuu. I believe Aoi Shota started in music first before doing voice acting.

Mizuki Nana is a very competent, experienced seiyuu. She can pretty much do a good job with most roles you expect a female seiyuu to do. Umehara sounds pretty good in the trailer I think, he tends to get pigeon holed into more emotionless roles.

Off topic. This starts in January, assuming ending in April. Nana is currently pregnant (she's probably around 4 months pregnant at the time of writing). Intrigued that she took a major role around this time.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
ojamajolilac wrote:
I like Aoi Shota as an idol, but he seems to be shoved into roles he is not suited for. They really should have just got Uchida Yuuma instead, he's in King Records, and is a capable seiyuu. I believe Aoi Shota started in music first before doing voice acting.

He started out as an idol hopeful, then when that didn't work out he tried the "idol seiyuu" route, taking roles in otome games with character songs attached, anime where singing is involved, and then anime where he may not sing in-character (although he'll likely do the opening or ending song) but his character is expected to get popular. He's been having quite a strong agency push in these past years, and as his popularity grows he's starting to get roles simply to pull in a certain type of audience: his fans, or people who belong to the demographics of his fandom. (In this case, this is an anime that is likely to appeal to that demographic, except that's the one group where it doesn't really have any hype, since the manga concluded before most of them were even born. So Aoi is cast as to pull them in.)

The problem is that while he's good at singing, he's just not any good as an actor, period, and I'm really bummed that he's going to get such an iconic role when there are so many, much more talented seiyuu, who would've been an infinitely better fit. (Not to mention, stunt casting like this can go so terribly wrong, see LoGH:DNT with Miyano Mamoru as Reinhard and Umehara Yuuichirou as Kircheis, it was just painful all around.)

ojamajolilac wrote:
Mizuki Nana is a very competent, experienced seiyuu. She can pretty much do a good job with most roles you expect a female seiyuu to do. Umehara sounds pretty good in the trailer I think, he tends to get pigeon holed into more emotionless roles.

Umehara I think is a very good seiyuu, and I think he's really good at subdued deliveries. He does get pigeonholed unfortunately, then again, his voice quality tends not to work with certain character types (see: Kircheis). I think he'll be fine as Seishirou, though I would've preferred someone like Nakamura Yuuichi... (Any opportunity for Nakamura to flex his "smooth ikemen" voice is one that should be taken.)
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
The problem is that while he's good at singing, he's just not any good as an actor, period, and I'm really bummed that he's going to get such an iconic role when there are so many, much more talented seiyuu, who would've been an infinitely better fit. (Not to mention, stunt casting like this can go so terribly wrong, see LoGH:DNT with Miyano Mamoru as Reinhard and Umehara Yuuichirou as Kircheis, it was just painful all around.)

I agree with you. Some series/franchise are better off casting those with charisma on stage. Some series are better off casting competent seiyuus. I'm not really sure whether stunt casting is worth it here. Seiyuus can only sell the show so much, if the series does not match the general taste of the seiyuu's fans, it's quite pointless.

My impression of Aoi Shota fans are teenage girls (including my own cousin)...and this is a classic CLAMP series 30 years ago.

SHD wrote:
Umehara I think is a very good seiyuu, and I think he's really good at subdued deliveries. He does get pigeonholed unfortunately, then again, his voice quality tends not to work with certain character types (see: Kircheis). I think he'll be fine as Seishirou, though I would've preferred someone like Nakamura Yuuichi... (Any opportunity for Nakamura to flex his "smooth ikemen" voice is one that should be taken.)

Umehara is an interesting male seiyuu case. Multiple seiyuus have mentioned how 'ikemen' he is (can't disagree), but he is not into having an idol career. He has some fans, but probably not enough to pull them in as part of a stunt casting. He's definitely being casted more for his skills/voice these days, compared to earlier in his career, he's been playing major roles in series that are not likely to pull in viewers that is into his ikemen-Ness. It'll be interesting to see the rest of the cast, then we will know whether stunt casting is at play here.

A part of me wants to hear Nakamura flexing his ikemen voice. But at the same time I've heard it so many times, I'm quite happy to hear younger seiyuus.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

This is probably a silly thing to think about when this is probably a standalone adaption, but doesn't this mean they have to update X's time period as well? Can't really set the end of the world at 1999 anymore if a story that's set before it is in 2020.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ojamajolilac wrote:

My impression of Aoi Shota fans are teenage girls (including my own cousin)...and this is a classic CLAMP series 30 years ago.

I'm not that familiar with Aoi Shota's work outside of The Royal Tutor which I thought he was fine in that but in principal it doesn't seem like it would be too unusual that they would aim for trying to bring in younger audiences for Tokyo Babylon in spite of the age of the source material as most of CLAMP's work was generally aimed at young girls or teenagers before they started doing more seinen work with Chobits etc. And Tokyo Babylon is a shojo manga that ran in a magazine aimed at 16-20 year old girls. Whether Aoi Shota is a good actor or not, one can see the reasoning here that if they're already updating a shojo manga that was originally targeted at teen girls for a modern setting that they would try to bring in modern day teen girls to support the show instead of just banking solely on an older niche nostalgia audience.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
ojamajolilac wrote:
Umehara is an interesting male seiyuu case. Multiple seiyuus have mentioned how 'ikemen' he is (can't disagree), but he is not into having an idol career. He has some fans, but probably not enough to pull them in as part of a stunt casting. He's definitely being casted more for his skills/voice these days, compared to earlier in his career, he's been playing major roles in series that are not likely to pull in viewers that is into his ikemen-Ness. It'll be interesting to see the rest of the cast, then we will know whether stunt casting is at play here.

To me it seems Umehara was among those seiyuu who were intended to become idols eventually, getting pretty boy roles where he had to sing as well as appear on stage a lot, but then he kind of stayed on the acting side? heh. Not that I'm disappointed, I think he's very talented. Similarly, Takeuchi Shunsuke is another seiyuu who seems to be heading in a funny direction, intentionally or not - ikemen, voice like chocolate honey fudge, great singer, whole lot of 2D idol/otome game roles... but in anime as time goes on he keeps getting "the big dude/muscle for brain" roles, most recently Brawler in Akudama Drive. (I guess casting people are happy they found someone with this particular voice quality...)

ojamajolilac wrote:
A part of me wants to hear Nakamura flexing his ikemen voice. But at the same time I've heard it so many times, I'm quite happy to hear younger seiyuus.

Haha, true. I'm just a sucker for Nakamura. And though he's far from being unknown, I think he really should be getting more recognition...

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Aoi Shota's work outside of The Royal Tutor which I thought he was fine in that but in principal it doesn't seem like it would be too unusual that they would aim for trying to bring in younger audiences for Tokyo Babylon in spite of the age of the source material as most of CLAMP's work was generally aimed at young girls or teenagers before they started doing more seinen work with Chobits etc. And Tokyo Babylon is a shojo manga that ran in a magazine aimed at 16-20 year old girls. Whether Aoi Shota is a good actor or not, one can see the reasoning here that if they're already updating a shojo manga that was originally targeted at teen girls for a modern setting that they would try to bring in modern day teen girls to support the show instead of just banking solely on an older niche nostalgia audience.

Yeah but nobody is saying that they shouldn't try to appeal to a young demographics? I'm just worried that they're sacrificing a good performance for a truly iconic character, for the sake of stunt casting, especially as there are a number of young and popular seiyuu who would be really good in the role. Like, the BTS guys are certainly incredibly popular, and sure, tons of people would turn out to watch a Seven Samurai adaptation featuring them in the main roles, but that wouldn't mean their performances in the iconic roles would be any good whatsoever...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2