• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Kirby Morrow Passes Away at 47

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arxana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is quite a shock. I did not expect to hear this.

I remember when watching the Inuyasha dub on Adult Swim back in the day, I thought the voice-acting was a little rough initially, the actors sounding like they were struggling to get into character. I also distinctly remember thinking that the dub actually started getting good in the episode when Miroku first appeared, and it makes sense because Kirby Morrow sounded like he was having so much fun voicing the lecherous monk. He was always a joy to listen to, from Trowa Barton in Gundam Wing to his character in Death Note. His role as Ryo in Project ARMS is perhaps a favorite of mine (a very underrated show).

Rest In Peace, Kirby. You brought us so much fun and laughter with your voice, and I’ll forever treasure your gifts to us.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
47 is far too soon... I remember him most as Trowa Barton and as Miroku. On occasion I'd pick out his voice here and there in other dubs.

My condolences to the family... Such sad news...
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
My respects to the family and may he rest in peace.

I'm so sad that he died. I've been such a big fan of his roles in anime and cartoons.
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm so heartbroken right now.

Gundam Wing was my intro to anime and Kirby's role as Trowa Barton made him one of my favourite characters.

His roles as Van from Escaflowne & Cyclops in X-Men: Evolution also hold a special place in my heart.

RIP, Kirby Morrow.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I knew that something didn't sound right when I heard his voice in yashihime but I attributed it to him getting older.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
NO!!!!

Kirby Morrow? GONE???

I'm at a loss for words! He was a guest at Winnipeg's Ai-Kon back in the day and was a genuinely nice guy who got along GREAT with the fans! I also thought he was fantastic as Van Fanel in Escaflowne, despite some people's reservations with that dub.

He will be sorely missed! R.I.P. Crying or Very sad
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This hurts. Inuyasha was my first true “adult” anime that I caught one X-mas break while in Florida at my aunt’s home. Miroku wasn’t my favorite, but he made an impression with his butt grabs and wind tunnel. Kirby gave him a mature yet sly performance that made him memorable to me. I'll never watch my favorite anime without tearing up now. RIP.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
This one, really, really hurts. As someone who got into Inuyasha as one of my first major anime, the loss of Kirby Morrow breaks my heart. Sad Rest in peace.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
I knew that something didn't sound right when I heard his voice in yashihime but I attributed it to him getting older.

I noticed the same, but figured his voice might have changed a bit with age.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
I think my favorite roles of Kirby Morrow were Van Fanel in the mostly okay Ocean dub of Escaflowne and Teru Mikami in Death Note. But yes, I also appreciated his roles like Miroku, Billy Katagiri, and Cyclops.

He was also a small role in the dub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which I've been rewatching lately, Lt. Woody.

He will be missed. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ugh this year just keeps getting worse. R.I.P.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
This is the first of the recent spate of VA deaths that shook me up. Always thought he made a great Miroku, and he was pretty good as Van as well.

He will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this is a gut-punch. Not only has both Miroku VA's died, but we lost another Cyclops. And at 47? That's way too young Sad .

RIP Mr. Morrow. Thank you for your dedication and talent as a voice actor and for the characters you brought to life.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Ugh, this is a gut-punch. Not only has both Miroku VA's died, but we lost another Cyclops. And at 47? That's way too young Sad .

RIP Mr. Morrow. Thank you for your dedication and talent as a voice actor and for the characters you brought to life.

Can you refresh my memory on the other Cyclops?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Can you refresh my memory on the other Cyclops?

Norm Spencer, the voice of Cyclops from X-Men The Animated Series, died in August.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5