• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Kirby Morrow Passes Away at 47

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
As a fan of Inuyasha and Yashahime, I will be eternally thankful that we got to hear his wonderful performance as Miroku one final time. Rest in Peace.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:42 am Reply with quote
This is very shocking and sad news to hear and just after he returned to voice Miroku in Yashahime. At least he got to play Miroku one more time before his passing. He played in a lot of formative anime for me growing up. Gundam Wing and Escaflowne were two of the earliest mecha anime I watched growing up and are still nostalgic classics for me. Kirby Morrow's performances as Van and Trowa have always stood out to me as personal favorite dub roles. He was also Cyclops in X-men Evolution which is still one of my favorite X-men shows.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
So young, and at the worst time as well. Rest in peace.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 am Reply with quote
Requiescat in pace Kirby Morrow; you will be sorely missed Sad Sad Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
I am so sad to hear this. He was my favorite of all the Canadian crew, and it was fun seeing him in Stargate too.

One very memorable role he had was in a very strange Flash motion comic called Broken Saints, which had some other familiar voices like Michael Dobson, Janyse Jaud, and David Kaye. Miroku it's not. Smile The episodes are up on YT. I also just learned he's been voicing Cain in Ninjago, a Lego based series which I'd never heard of before, but has apparently been running for years. He sounds very different in that from what I'm used to in anime.

I was so looking forward to hearing more from him in Yashahime. This is heartbreaking.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Captain Dave Kleinman. Stargate Command will never forget your service.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
I'm not always good at recognizing voice actors by name, but Kirby Morrow is certainly one of them. His voice showed up in so many shows I watched back in the late 90s/early 2000s, Trowa and Van being the roles I best remember him for. My heart goes out to his friends and family. Any loss is hard, but 47 is so young.
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
I was so sad when I heard about his passing a couple of days ago. Will always remember him as Miroku and Van. May he rest in peace
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Why does 2020 have to kill so many good people? WHY?
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
My heart sunk when I read this news!

Mr. Morrow was a very talented fellow.

His best work: Gundam Wing's Trowa and Inuyasha's Miroku.

One of Canada's best dub talents ever...

RIP Kirby. We'll never forget ya! Sad Crying or Very sad
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Rest In Peace

I'm still processing. So many roles in shows I watched growing up. I don't recall him doing many variations with his voice so you usually knew it was him playing a character right away. Crying or Very sad

Same here, grew up watching so much stuff with him in them and I also still remember when he surprisingly showed up in Stargate like others mentioned and instantly knew I recognized his voice so I knew it was him despite never having seen him before. Plus Gundam Wing was the one that got me into Gundam and hooked me for life.

It felt like it had been a while since I'd last heard him in stuff and we were just about to get to hear a bunch of him again with his return in the new Inuyasha content. Really glad we got to hear him in the role one more time. Damn.
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
While there is no other important role he had as Trowa Barton he was also the English voice of Rey Za Burrel in Gundam Seed Destiny and Billy Katagiri in Gundam 00 the only two other major roles for Gundam he ever had.

I also loved him in Inuyasha and Escaflowne. I personally disliked the idea of FUNimation redubbing the series as there was hardly any point and now it is harder to get ahold of the original dub.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
I also loved him in Inuyasha and Escaflowne. I personally disliked the idea of FUNimation redubbing the series as there was hardly any point and now it is harder to get ahold of the original dub.

No it's not, it's in FUNi's Blu-ray release with their redub.
delariean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

His brother Casey made an update on his brother's cause of death on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/caseypmorrow/posts/10158159509580892
Bluuumeee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
delariean wrote:
Hello,

His brother Casey made an update on his brother's cause of death on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/caseypmorrow/posts/10158159509580892

That's a beautiful tribute. I wouldn't have begrudged Casey for wanting to keep the cause of death a private matter, but I'm glad he made a post about it.

Kirby sounded like a genuinely good-natured, big-hearted bloke- which makes the cause all the more tragic. I read somewhere that he passed not long after his father did- the combined emotional blow must be huge. I hope his family continue getting the support they need in their period of grief.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5