• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Anime's Promo Video Reveals Cast, Staff, Theme Songs, January 8 De

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm the voice was on the annoying side. Just a bit too much grate to it. Interesting that the intro sentence starts with a big spoiler about others reincarnating. Though maybe they stated that straight away in the novel.

Im worried about this one. The story was always a bit weak on Reincarnate as a Spider but its strength was its obsession with combat and struggle. The previews seem to show large amounts of CG though its been tidied up to look a bit more cartoony now. I worry that it gonna be hard to create consistent episodes in an enjoyable arc when so much of the events in Spider are encountering a monster, getting trounced, barely coming up with a victory and then gaining a bunch of skills to overpower said encounters next time. Again and again and again.

Worry means I want it to succeed but what I've seen tells me it could go the other way. Its so subjective what people can enjoy we will have to see.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Hmm the voice was on the annoying side. Just a bit too much grate to it. Interesting that the intro sentence starts with a big spoiler about others reincarnating. Though maybe they stated that straight away in the novel.

Are you a manga reader? In the light novels from volume 1 it has side chapters of the other reincarnators. I highly recommend reading the novels over the manga, it's the author's original rather than an adaptation and the manga skips a lot of important stuff.

Anyways, the trailer looks way better than it did. Glad it's in good hands (although Studio Millipensee still gives me pause).
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, so looks like at least that part is nothing to worry about. I had heard that it takes a few books before the others come into play in the novel stories doesnt it?
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that CG looks pretty awkward. Kinda looking like 80% of the show will be CG :/
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
A spider has no business being that cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Yes, so looks like at least that part is nothing to worry about. I had heard that it takes a few books before the others come into play in the novel stories doesnt it?

A few chapters perhaps, but Shun and Katia both have notable appearances in volume 1. It's been a while since I read that volume, so I don't remember which other reincarnations have notable appearances. spoiler[IIRC Hugo and Feirune/Mirei both make notable appearances before the end of volume 1.] Since I don't feel like re-reading volume 1 again this evening, I'm not sure, but I think all the reincarnations in the foreground of the title card in the article have a significant appearance in the first volume.

harminia wrote:
Damn, that CG looks pretty awkward. Kinda looking like 80% of the show will be CG :/

I'm a bit torn on the CG. I totally get why they went with CG, as having to animate a (complex) monster as the MC was inevitably going to be difficult, and I think the CG looks serviceable at least; further, I'm not categorically opposed to CG usage (plenty of series do it without any significant notice). That said, based on the previews it still could be better, so I'm not entirely behind it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Interesting that the intro sentence starts with a big spoiler about others reincarnating. Though maybe they stated that straight away in the novel.

The virtual co-protagonist of the series and one other reincarnate first appear about 40 pages into the first novel, which probably means an episode 2 debut for them. Since close to half of the story that's likely to be animated deals with the other reincarnates, it's hardly a big spoiler.

Quote:
Im worried about this one. The story was always a bit weak on Reincarnate as a Spider but its strength was its obsession with combat and struggle. The previews seem to show large amounts of CG though its been tidied up to look a bit more cartoony now. I worry that it gonna be hard to create consistent episodes in an enjoyable arc when so much of the events in Spider are encountering a monster, getting trounced, barely coming up with a victory and then gaining a bunch of skills to overpower said encounters next time. Again and again and again.

Yeah, if you've been following the franchise via manga then you're probably in for a pleasant surprise. The novels are among the best-written of all isekai series, and what the clip shows for visuals looks like it's going to suit the content well, so I'm expecting great things here. This was already one of my most-anticipated titles for next year, and this trailer does nothing to change that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Ryujin99 wrote:

The CG is weird.
There're part where it looks really bad and other where it looks good.
https://i.imgur.com/bMGwkMY.mp4
I guess it depends on how close they made the shot.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shin Itagaki (Teekyū, Berserk 2016, Cop Craft) is directing the anime at Millepensee,

yep,its over,nothing to see here
Key wrote:
I'm expecting great things here. This was already one of my most-anticipated titles for next year, and this trailer does nothing to change that.

would the staff does though?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
dcmc wrote:
would the staff does though?

I don't obsess over staff like some do, so this is a non-concern for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, if you've been following the franchise via manga then you're probably in for a pleasant surprise. The novels are among the best-written of all isekai series, and what the clip shows for visuals looks like it's going to suit the content well, so I'm expecting great things here. This was already one of my most-anticipated titles for next year, and this trailer does nothing to change that.

Good to hear things are a bit different. I tend to be a bit selective in my reading of books so the only Japanese content I've read are 12 kingdoms, Haruhi, a little bit of Crest/Banner of the stars and most recently overlord. Reading the manga was curious because I had heard from the small background comments on earlier material that spoiler[another girl comes into the story proper but that it wasnt until after the escape from the maze. But then the manga left the maze and we still had not seen any new characters.]

spoiler[In fact the manga's human character kept being introduced but then discarded. It was rather curious.] As such I just concluded that relationships with humanoids just wasnt a consideration for the story. Im curious now if the manga big focus on combat isnt as much a thing in the novels?
Disamistade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Key wrote:

Good to hear things are a bit different. I tend to be a bit selective in my reading of books so the only Japanese content I've read are 12 kingdoms, Haruhi, a little bit of Crest/Banner of the stars and most recently overlord. Reading the manga was curious because I had heard from the small background comments on earlier material that spoiler[another girl comes into the story proper but that it wasnt until after the escape from the maze. But then the manga left the maze and we still had not seen any new characters.]

spoiler[In fact the manga's human character kept being introduced but then discarded. It was rather curious.] As such I just concluded that relationships with humanoids just wasnt a consideration for the story. Im curious now if the manga big focus on combat isnt as much a thing in the novels?

The manga just skips a good 40%/50% of the story.
The LN has the same focus on combat and grind, but from volume one it's interspersed with other point of views, mainly Schlain's, who's another reincarnation born as royalty.
This give breath to the story, with world building and mysteries that intertwine with Kumoko. Have you ever wondered what happened to the egg that Kumoko found in the beginning? Or who were the mage and summoner who tried to kill Kumoko but got badly owned?

Now the manga is (very slowly) getting to the point where it'll have to do some serious info dump, and I don't know how the author will manage that.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The novels are among the best-written of all isekai series, and what the clip shows for visuals looks like it's going to suit the content well, so I'm expecting great things here.

Feel free to ignore this I just felt compelled to leave some feelings after reading some of the novel after recommendation.

Hmm after reading some of the light novel I see what you mean about the extra content. Though the reading experience has been interesting. Its like reading a manga in novel form. All the material are the thoughts of the person you are following at the time. As if the whole thing is the thought panels of those characters experiencing events. It definitely feels like its come from a web novel. Because its descriptions are all extremely basic. Where skills and combat gets far more detail then any of its characters or monsters.

Infact a lot of characters get no description at all because the people we are following are already familiar with them so for Julius party for example we just know Yana is a saint, Hyrince is a childhood friend, hawkin is a theif. Monsters are name and association. Regions are tunnels or large areas with a common element. It very much focuses on character thought over everything else. It surprised me how much it really felt like the manga minus the kids discussing things in a room for 3 years.

Given my lack of knowledge in the light novel field I will withhold comment on comparing it to others. The books (first 2 for me) are functional, well articulate and very moorish. But I feel like it lacks in flavour.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Given my lack of knowledge in the light novel field I will withhold comment on comparing it to others. The books (first 2 for me) are functional, well articulate and very moorish. But I feel like it lacks in flavour.

Interesting observations. I feel that the flavor you're referring to comes in the way the characters - especially the spider - internally dialog. While first-person narratives are quite common in light novels, I have not seen another case where the internal dialog is as vibrant and involved as in this one, and that makes up for a lot. The anime version might not be as dependent on that, as we will have constant visuals, so the success of the adaptation could hinge on how well the adaptation team balance that internal dialog with visual depictions.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Its certainly fun when she gets twisted up on something difficult and really starts expressing herself in different ways trying to work out what the heck is going on. That might be what gives it its moorish twist (That is the desire to consume more).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1