• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In/Spectre Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
hmm.. if it's similar to S1 then no freaking thanks. that dragged out waaaaay too long
Well it isn't. The Steel Lady arc was the only of it's kind in the manga.
micah007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This is wonderful news. I thought it wasn't going to get a Season 2 so I started reading the manga.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The first season could probably have been renamed to "Exposition, the animation."

Honestly, it was literally the embodiment of conspiracy theory crafting. Making random stuff up that is conveniently circumstantial just to come to a plot resolution.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Great news indeed.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first season, so I'm happy to see Kotoko and Kuro return (and that key visual is so accurate it's priceless).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
The first season could probably have been renamed to "Exposition, the animation."

Honestly, it was literally the embodiment of conspiracy theory crafting. Making random stuff up that is conveniently circumstantial just to come to a plot resolution.

That was the entire point of the show? Making random stuff up that was conveniently circumstantial to force a resolution was exactly what they were doing. It wasn't like they just made stuff up that happened to be right because of lazy writing. It's how they achieved the end goal by convincing spirits and people that her made up stuff was in fact true (whether or not it was entirely true or false), and in the Steel Lady arc, their mass belief actually made it true. It was kind of like she was writing a short story with her readers looking over her shoulder and offering criticism as she wrote -- much like anime viewers watching week to week criticize plots without knowing what the author actually intends to do down the road (except we can't affect the outcome. Japanese manga readers sometimes can a little bit, if the outcry is huge enough).
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
It was interesting how very Mage: The Ascension style the show works. While reality is malleable to consciousness and will - hence magic works - it is on macro scale fixed by majority consensus (and enforced by a feedback loop they call Paradox).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy these yokai type of shows and In/Spectre was one of the better ones I've seen recently so I'm glad to see it get a s2 made.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The reason the Steel Lady Nanase arc was so long was because that was supposed to be the entire story. In/Spectre (Invented Inference) was originally supposed to be a one-volume short novel, but then it got adapted into a manga, got an enormous amount of popularity, and Shirodaira Kyo was given the go-ahead to continue. That's why subsequent arcs in the manga are much shorter, because this time Shirodaira was actually writing with longevity in mind, and also specifically for the manga format (instead of just writing a novel).

Anyway, on that note, I hope that season 2 makes this popular enough so that someone decides to license the original novel someday. I'd love to own it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
I never watched it but I heard a lot of people disliked the first season

Why should you care what "a lot of people" think? Only you know what you like. Give it a try.

Every time I mention Golden Kamuy someone brings up the online reaction to the CGI bear from the first couple of episodes of season one. Really? That's what it takes to deter anime "fans" from watching an excellent show? (I liked In/Spectre, but it's not on the same level as Golden Kamuy.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2