• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Announces SaGa Frontier Remastered Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news indeed. I always loved this game because its combat and equipment system is very complex and nuanced, the prerendered background art is just beautiful, and because it's exciting to see how the different character's stories interact with one another. when you play the game again with a different character you get a totally new story but also get to see other sides of the other character's stories. It's also very much open-ended; there is little handholding. You can go anywhere you like, recruit whatever party members you like, etc. It's the perfect antidote to modern "on the rails" RPGs and it's actually challenging!
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
SaGa Frontier is a good game, but remakes/remasters in general tend to be pretty hit or miss: especially Square Enix's. The graphics here don't look as bad as the other mobile ports of Final Fantasy like 6's, but that text font really looks like a cheap mobile game. I think I'd rather just play the original version again myself, or wait for the PC version to get a graphical mod.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
SaGa Frontier is a good game, but remakes/remasters in general tend to be pretty hit or miss: especially Square Enix's. The graphics here don't look as bad as the other mobile ports of Final Fantasy like 6's, but that text font really looks like a cheap mobile game. I think I'd rather just play the original version again myself, or wait for the PC version to get a graphical mod.

You're right about the remakes being hit and miss so we shall see exactly how good this is once it comes out. I think the ones where they try to stick with the original graphic styles work better than the ones they change up. For example, I really don't care for the 3D Android remake of FFIV, but the GBA and the PSP versions, which stuck with sprite graphics, were great. I liked their remasters of X, and XII too. They appear to be sticking with the same graphics style as the original so I think that bodes well.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
You're seriously going to give the game a pass because you don't like the way the font looks?
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to play this game so I'll be getting the PS4 version at some point.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
You're seriously going to give the game a pass because you don't like the way the font looks?

It's more than just 'the font', but it's not like people didn't pass on Silent Hill HD because of 'the fog', or the Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest remasters because of 'the mobile graphics', or the TWETY remaster because of 'the controls'. Like I said, a lot of remakes and remasters tend to be hit or miss. If people have never played these games, they probably don't know or care about stuff like this, but for folks who grew up with these titles they always have the option of the original version.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm wary, but excited. I loved the Saga games as a kid and have a lot of good memories playing them so seeing them remastered with new content is exciting. Just hope they aren't as bad as the FF Ports.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
It's more than just 'the font', but it's not like people didn't pass on Silent Hill HD because of 'the fog', or the Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest remasters because of 'the mobile graphics', or the TWETY remaster because of 'the controls'. Like I said, a lot of remakes and remasters tend to be hit or miss. If people have never played these games, they probably don't know or care about stuff like this, but for folks who grew up with these titles they always have the option of the original version.
What's "more"? You're dodging the question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1