• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Was the Haruhi Suzumiya Series a Big Deal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Good news then with the late night TV anime money maker of physical disc sales in Japan crashing and being replaced by unlimited money from western streamers we will start to get everything both anime that appeals to modern hardcore Japanese fans and long time western anime fans.
What is this supposed to mean? That the west has the right to dictate to the Japanese industry of what they can do with their own anime because they provide more money?

I understand the west's influence on the Japanese industry in terms of medium popularity but at the end of the day, the ball is in Japan's court to decide where they want to go anime wise. It's realistically not the west's business to pull Japan's strings on their own industry.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yeah, the ENOZ performance is still, to this day, my standard-setter for in-series musical performances.

I'd probably place it second behind the duet in Sakamichi no Apollon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0

This one from the same show is right up there, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbhpn9bz-To (Used to be a clip with English subtitles for this scene, but I can't find it any more.)

Quote:
I still go back and watch that scene at least once or twice a year.

I think I've watched "God Knows" a least a half-dozen times this year.
Coco-girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this when Bandai entertainment was still around. It was also one of their best selling series.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
However, one aspect that I don't think has gotten enough attention in this thread is that it was the first true "meta" series to hit big. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, series before it weren't as self-aware of what they were as Melancholy was. That kind of thing has been so commonplace these days (especially in isekai series) that it can be hard to appreciate how fresh that was at the time.

Yes, I came here because I was disappointed that the article didn't touch much on this (apart from saying it contributed to the LN boom). Haruhi had that infectiously optimistic anime girl lead paired with an unreliable narrator making snarky comments about all the anime tropes. Lots of people talk about loving Re:Zero, or Oregairu for the snarky, meta-commenting narrators, but Haruhi did it first.

I also think that, while it didn't exactly contribute to the moe boom in Japan, it arguably did in the west. While it was primarily a moe, Slice-of-life show, it had enough sci-fi elements and overarching plot to appeal to fans who were used to watching mostly action-oriented shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

However, one aspect that I don't think has gotten enough attention in this thread is that it was the first true "meta" series to hit big. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, series before it weren't as self-aware of what they were as Melancholy was. That kind of thing has been so commonplace these days (especially in isekai series) that it can be hard to appreciate how fresh that was at the time.

You're forgetting Nadesico, which combined the meta with an interesting look at memory and history, and how they shape who we are, as individuals, as a subculture, and as a society. Plus parody. And a great soundtrack.

Nadesico's recap episode was as meta as you can get (as well as being the Best Recap Episode Ever).
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
What is this supposed to mean? That the west has the right to dictate to the Japanese industry of what they can do with their own anime because they provide more money?

I understand the west's influence on the Japanese industry in terms of medium popularity but at the end of the day, the ball is in Japan's court to decide where they want to go anime wise. It's realistically not the west's business to pull Japan's strings on their own industry.

The only "west" that's really influencing anime is China. like a lot of other industries. Although the way the original post is worded makes it sound like streaming isn't a thing in Japan. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
You're forgetting Nadesico, which combined the meta with an interesting look at memory and history, and how they shape who we are, as individuals, as a subculture, and as a society. Plus parody. And a great soundtrack.

Nadesico's recap episode was as meta as you can get (as well as being the Best Recap Episode Ever).

Yeah, parts of Nadesico certainly qualify as meta, but that series ended up being an outlier. So I'll revise my previous statement to "Melancholy started the 'meta' trend which became popular in the 2010s."

(But that's only the second-best recap episode ever. The best one belongs to Re:Creators.)

yuna49 wrote:
Key wrote:
And yeah, the ENOZ performance is still, to this day, my standard-setter for in-series musical performances.

I'd probably place it second behind the duet in Sakamichi no Apollon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0

Oh, that's one's up there with ENOZ in terms of animation quality, no doubt. But I'd still rate "God Knows" a little higher because of impact and how well the song worked despite the sheer absurdity of the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(But that's only the second-best recap episode ever. The best one belongs to Re:Creators.)

Well.... okay. Wink

(I'd love to find a Meteora-fantasy figure sometime....)
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
I started watching Haruhi Suzumiya several years after the franchise had gone quiet; but I still encountered references to, and articles about, the series often enough that I went ahead and gave it a try (I had also recently become aware of Kyoto Animation as a studio, and was growing curious about their body of work). I was hooked by Episode 00, and basically loved every moment of the series. I don't think it took me long to check out the original light novels and their manga adaptation either.
There are definitely some aspects of the show's design that look a bit dated now, and some choices in the story which haven't aged well (namely, Haruhi's harassment of Mikuru), but it's still a very eat show, and I would be delighted if novels 6-10 were somehow finally adapted in full.
...And, for what it's worth, I've watched the show both in original broadcast order and chronological order. The broadcast order is definitely superior.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
Well, good article. This really takes me back and did you know Cristina V aka Milky Cabbage did an amazing fandub of God Knows that got her a lot of notice as a performer and was part of her success story? She also dubbed Ep1 of the series (probably gone from YT now for copyright). She was English Haruhi! Should have been cast for the official dub.

Anyway, Endless 8 ended it for me and I've never looked back. I tried to get into the LNs by way of fan translations but IMHO the story devolved into a snarl of alternate reality/time paradox stuff with ever growing cast of conspirators that just wandered away from Haruhi's story. Not surprised Kyoani didn't try to do more with the franchise, they probably couldn't find a way to coherently adapt that pile. I'd recommend avoiding all that and stick with the anime S1 for those interested, it's timeless gold.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'll see your Re:Creators and raise you an SDF Macross.
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 am Reply with quote
Its interesting to come across so many people that think the broadcast order was great. I am actually the opposite. It bugs me to no end. The light novels do the same thing, but this is because of the way the books were written (and originally published in The Sneaker). A lot of the stories are released in completely the wrong order of the actual timeline of events.

I'm actually a bit OCD about the whole mess. I even dedicated a webpage to clearly sort the timeline http://lanssidequest.blogspot.com/2012/10/thoughts-readable-timeline-of-haruhi.html
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
Key Wrote:
Quote:
Oh, that's one's up there with ENOZ in terms of animation quality, no doubt. But I'd still rate "God Knows" a little higher because of impact and how well the song worked despite the sheer absurdity of the situation.

If you are going to use impact as a criteria, I'd nominate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_0IIRDlc4

I realize that this is the opener, but it also is "in series" as part of the plot and world building.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If you are going to use impact as a criteria, I'd nominate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_0IIRDlc4

I realize that this is the opener, but it also is "in series" as part of the plot and world building.

"Konya wa Hurricane" still has a lot of fans, but I've never been one of them. It never made much of an impression on me, and I generally like rock music.

Shay Guy wrote:
Key wrote:

I'll see your Re:Creators and raise you an SDF Macross.

Okay, now you've got me curious. I have seen all of SDF Macross but don't remember a recap episode (or at least one that was memorable). Which episode was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
The only "west" that's really influencing anime is China. like a lot of other industries. Although the way the original post is worded makes it sound like streaming isn't a thing in Japan.
The success of anime on Cartoon Network, fansubs and FUNimation's marketing strategies were factors that definitely upped the influence on the industry by the U.S. I haven't seen anything that stated beforehand that Japan wanted to make more anime available in the U.S. by their own terms. By the way, I'm not doubting the existence of streaming in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5