Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Kimagure Old Town Road


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Beltane70



Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 2728
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I watched KOR 10-11 years ago via rips of the AnimEigo DVDs. The last time I watched it, I kept screaming at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. The show clearly hasn't aged well. Many of the situations could easily be averted through cell phones and the Internet. The Kasuga siblings would be all over social media because of their psychic powers no matter where they moved. This is one show that could use a fresh coat of paint, perhaps a modernized reboot.


I find it bizarre that you were mad at a lack of cell phones in a TV series that was made in 1987 when cell phones and the internet weren't a thing that most people even owned or had access to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2083
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The music does slap and the animations aren't half bad either. Imagine trying to animate these camera pans by hand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denys Lalande



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I lived through the 1980s -- worse, I lived at Ground Zero for Trends: L.A.. The only people who dressed that way were the Brockian Ultra-Posers -- idiots trying to impress other idiots. The rest of us just laughed at them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 970
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
(And I dislike the sequel years later for undoing the ending and remaking the love triangle because... money, I guess?)

I didn't feel like it undid the ending and remade the love triangle so much as feature them reconnecting as adults and becoming friends again.

I always felt like the second movie was a more full-circle end to the series, not just because it was relatively happier for the trio, but because Kyosuke's powers were actually relevant, the supporting cast all show up, and it features a grander culmination of Kyosuke and Madoka's relationship.

spoiler[The scene where Madoka threatens to withhold sex unless Kyosuke remembers when he first started calling her "Madoka," which was actually during their First Time, is one of my most memorable anime moments.][/spoiler]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1719
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
All this talk about KOR and we don't even mention the unintentionally hilarious Engrish that occurs in this show at times?

"CAROL went BACK to his HOUSE!" Surprised

And my anime club that watched this at the time was all like: "No shit, Sherlock!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Zhou-BR



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1151
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I always felt like the second movie was a more full-circle end to the series, not just because it was relatively happier for the trio, but because Kyosuke's powers were actually relevant, the supporting cast all show up, and it features a grander culmination of Kyosuke and Madoka's relationship.

spoiler[The scene where Madoka threatens to withhold sex unless Kyosuke remembers when he first started calling her "Madoka," which was actually during their First Time, is one of my most memorable anime moments.][/spoiler]


Yes, I also thought the second movie was a more satisfying conclusion to the overall anime than the first one, despite the radically different art style. Also, it features animation by many KyoAni veterans, including the late, irreplaceable Yoshiji Kigami. It's a shame it never got an HD remaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clyde_Cash



Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 372
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I watched KOR 10-11 years ago via rips of the AnimEigo DVDs. The last time I watched it, I kept screaming at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. The show clearly hasn't aged well. Many of the situations could easily be averted through cell phones and the Internet. The Kasuga siblings would be all over social media because of their psychic powers no matter where they moved. This is one show that could use a fresh coat of paint, perhaps a modernized reboot.


I find it bizarre that you were mad at a lack of cell phones in a TV series that was made in 1987 when cell phones and the internet weren't a thing that most people even owned or had access to.


I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATastySub
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I watched KOR 10-11 years ago via rips of the AnimEigo DVDs. The last time I watched it, I kept screaming at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. The show clearly hasn't aged well. Many of the situations could easily be averted through cell phones and the Internet. The Kasuga siblings would be all over social media because of their psychic powers no matter where they moved. This is one show that could use a fresh coat of paint, perhaps a modernized reboot.


I find it bizarre that you were mad at a lack of cell phones in a TV series that was made in 1987 when cell phones and the internet weren't a thing that most people even owned or had access to.


I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.

Yeah, no. This seems a lot more like a very specific and individual hangup. Plenty of people born at the same time and much later have no problem with period pieces existing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beltane70



Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 2728
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I watched KOR 10-11 years ago via rips of the AnimEigo DVDs. The last time I watched it, I kept screaming at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. The show clearly hasn't aged well. Many of the situations could easily be averted through cell phones and the Internet. The Kasuga siblings would be all over social media because of their psychic powers no matter where they moved. This is one show that could use a fresh coat of paint, perhaps a modernized reboot.


I find it bizarre that you were mad at a lack of cell phones in a TV series that was made in 1987 when cell phones and the internet weren't a thing that most people even owned or had access to.


I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.


I think you're greatly overestimating the amount of technology that was available or affordable to the general public in 1987 when KOR was airing.

Those giant brick phones cost around $4000 in 1987, your average person didn't own one of those back then, let alone junior high school students. Just as an example, in the US, there were only about 1 million cell phones in the US meaning that only less than half of one percent of the population owned a cell phone. You really think that two Japanese junior high school students at that time are going to be able to afford one and lug it around with them. I didn't even see a cell phone in person until 1991 or so when my boss at the time just got one for his car. Up until then, I'd only seen cell phones in movies or on TV shows and it always businessmen, lawyers, doctors, and millionaires that had them in their cars.

Dial-up internet didn't even exist in 1987 and didn't become available until 1992, five years after KOR came out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 4810
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The music does slap and the animations aren't half bad either. Imagine trying to animate these camera pans by hand

Gotta say, that OP rocks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 06 Jul 2015
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.

Yeah, no. This seems a lot more like a very specific and individual hangup. Plenty of people born at the same time and much later have no problem with period pieces existing.


Yeah dude, I was born a month after the anime of Kimagure Orange Road debuted and I have absolutely no trouble with the lack of cell phones in older series, nor have I heard of anyone around my age having an issue. Pretty sure it's a you problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nobahn
Subscriber



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 4810
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.
Yeah, no. This seems a lot more like a very specific and individual hangup. Plenty of people born at the same time and much later have no problem with period pieces existing.
Yeah dude, I was born a month after the anime of Kimagure Orange Road debuted and I have absolutely no trouble with the lack of cell phones in older series, nor have I heard of anyone around my age having an issue. Pretty sure it's a you problem.

Also, computers were insanely expensive back then!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave



Joined: 14 Jan 2019
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I watched KOR 10-11 years ago via rips of the AnimEigo DVDs. The last time I watched it, I kept screaming at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. The show clearly hasn't aged well. Many of the situations could easily be averted through cell phones and the Internet. The Kasuga siblings would be all over social media because of their psychic powers no matter where they moved. This is one show that could use a fresh coat of paint, perhaps a modernized reboot.


I find it bizarre that you were mad at a lack of cell phones in a TV series that was made in 1987 when cell phones and the internet weren't a thing that most people even owned or had access to.


I was born in the late half of the '80s, not cognizant when KOR was new. The lack of cell phones and the Internet is jarring to us Gen Y people. At least give the characters those giant brick phones and dial-up Internet. And it's not just KOR. It's everything made or set in the '80s and early '90s.

Yeah, no. This seems a lot more like a very specific and individual hangup. Plenty of people born at the same time and much later have no problem with period pieces existing.

Same here. In fact it's rather refreshing to see shows where people cannot count on personal instant communication for solving every problem, and stuff like one phone per household, where you don't know who'll pick up the phone - your crush or their parents :0. This also allows for many scenarios where shows with more modern setting would have to make characters dumb to not use cell phones or exchange contacts. Don't push your weird hangups on whole Gen Y.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group