• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Robotics;Notes: ELITE & DaSH (Double Pack)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

It's kind of like how there's also nobody who's sufficiently into mobage to write about them beyond launch/shutdown announcements, even though F/GO is one of the site's more reliable advertisers, and so many readers play it. And heaven help the site if they ever lose Theron, because he seems to be the most prodigious LN reader (particularly for some popular series like DanMachi), and the only writer on the site who'd engage with something like Interspecies Reviewers.

Did you read light novel guide at all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You're misunderstanding the complaint. The problem isn't that the reviewer didn't like this specific game, it's that they don't like visual novels in general. The target audience for this game is people who like visual novels. Getting a review from somebody who doesn't like the genre in the first place isn't helpful to anybody.
But why is it necessary to like a genre before you can write a critical review of something? Does a reviewer have to have this undying love of platformers before they can write a review about the latest Mario game? Or does this criteria only apply to more niche games like visual novels? But even with this review the reviewer doesn’t expressively hate visual novels and clearly mentions appreciating them more recently. The review itself mentions many positive points about the game and it got an average score which is the typical consensus I hear about Robotics Notes that I hear from even most hardcore Science Adventure fans that it’s a fairly average game compared to something like Steins Gate.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But why is it necessary to like a genre before you can write a critical review of something? Does a reviewer have to have this undying love of platformers before they can write a review about the latest Mario game? Or does this criteria only apply to more niche games like visual novels?

If you want a good example of what's being brought up, there was an old review IGN put up for a shoot-em-up (I sadly don't remember which one right now) in which the person who reviewed it obviously wasn't a fan of the genre, even saying that since continuing gives you a single point towards your score, you can get a high score simply by purposefully dying over & over, completely failing to even understand how to actually play the game. To no surprise, it got a low score, even though fans of the genre generally regarded it well. Yes, this is an extreme example, but we all know people are going to remember the worst examples, rather than the more minor ones. This review, for example, is a minor example, as Myles did try to be more impartial than that IGN reviewer was.

Does that mean that reviewers should be segmented into rigid groups & only ever cover what they are experienced &/or interested in? Of course not, and I'm sure Myles volunteered to cover R;N because he was curious if this would be the title that'd get him more into visual novels. I highly doubt he was just handed this game for no good reason, after all. That being said, there are always going to be readers who are going to go into a review hoping to find an opinion that comes from someone who is versed in the genre that the review is covering.

However, the common argument & defense is often around "liking" something, as if someone who's a fan of a genre can't be critical of it. That's a logical fallacy, because it assumes that the only people who can be critical of something are those who aren't already fans of it, when there's just as much of an argument that those who already are fans of a genre can be all the more critical, since they'll be familiar with subtleties & similarities to other works that "outsiders" (for lack of a better word) may not notice.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I do think there's an argument to be made that reviewers should at least be familiar with the genre conventions of what they're reviewing; a fan of horror, for example, might be less attuned to what the expectations of rom-coms are. It's not entirely clear if that's the case here: the reviewer could be familiar with VN conventions (like very slow burn starts and a metric ton of reading) without actually enjoying them, and yet still be able to make a summary judgment about the quality of those conventions. I'm reminded of the positive reactions to Monster Musume, where the majority of the Preview reviewers, despite being demonized as "fanservice haters" by the forum at large, recognized if not enjoyed its first episode for bucking the "lack of consent/humiliation as fanservice" tropes that plague lesser works.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

If you want a good example of what's being brought up, there was an old review IGN put up for a shoot-em-up (I sadly don't remember which one right now) in which the person who reviewed it obviously wasn't a fan of the genre, even saying that since continuing gives you a single point towards your score, you can get a high score simply by purposefully dying over & over, completely failing to even understand how to actually play the game. To no surprise, it got a low score, even though fans of the genre generally regarded it well. Yes, this is an extreme example, but we all know people are going to remember the worst examples, rather than the more minor ones. This review, for example, is a minor example, as Myles did try to be more impartial than that IGN reviewer was.

This seems less like an issue with being a fan and more of the reviewer not properly researching the game they were reviewing before hand. As long as the reviewer is professional and is well researched, I don't see the issue of someone who's normally not a fan of it doing a review of it. In the case of this review, I'm not aware the reviewer got any of their facts about the game wrong.

Quote:
However, the common argument & defense is often around "liking" something, as if someone who's a fan of a genre can't be critical of it. That's a logical fallacy, because it assumes that the only people who can be critical of something are those who aren't already fans of it, when there's just as much of an argument that those who already are fans of a genre can be all the more critical, since they'll be familiar with subtleties & similarities to other works that "outsiders" (for lack of a better word) may not notice.
And a lot of the time when fans get angry or critical about a video game, you go into the opposite extreme where they get a lot of things about the development of the game completely wrong or they don't have all the facts like the whole fandom mess over Pokemon Sword and Shield. And get the angry fans who are not able to put aside their own personal biases and desires of what the game should be like to be a fair judge of the game even when they're being "critical" of it, and a lot of the discourse around it ends up turning out very heated and not productive.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This seems less like an issue with being a fan and more of the reviewer not properly researching the game they were reviewing before hand. As long as the reviewer is professional and is well researched, I don't see the issue of someone who's normally not a fan of it doing a review of it. In the case of this review, I'm not aware the reviewer got any of their facts about the game wrong.

All I'm pointing out is where the feeling generally comes from. As I literally said, "people are going to remember the worst examples, rather than the more minor ones", and people are always going to take stuff like this the wrong way. Personally, I think Myles did as well as he could, considering the lack of familiarity he fully admits to, but it's not hard at all to understand where other people are coming from.

Yes, as long as the reviewer is going into unfamiliar territory in a respectful manner, then there shouldn't be any problems. However, as I said, "no one" remembers the people who actually do that, and instead they remember the ones who weren't professional or respectful, which in turn makes them unwilling to take "outsider" opinions as warmly, even when they are done respectfully. Sadly, the less-than-professional reviews happen more often than it should, so I see where some people are coming from with this subject.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, DaSH does have plenty of fanservice, as to be expected with it being a spinoff (albeit canon, unlike most of S;G's spinoffs, except S;G0)

joeydoa wrote:
The most significant connection to Steins;Gate is one of the supporting characters is a grown up Nae Tennouji

Well, there's also the fact that it takes place on SGWL, and the whole overarching narrative of SciADV, with the Committee of 300. Though S;G is the least connected to the series though, R;N being more connected to Chaos;Head with stuff like spoiler[the Shibuya eathquake referenced and NOAH IV]
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

I'm of mind that it's important to differentiate between a game being bad because you don't like the genre and a game being bad because it's a bad entry into said genre. To criticize a game for being part of a genre is not much of a critique, it's just an admission of not being a fan of said genre. So I agree criticizng a visual novel for being all reading with little other gameplay is an odd one It always brings to mind a comic from Penny Arcade where they ribbed on people who would complain about RPGs by citing things fans like about RPGs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

I'm of mind that it's important to differentiate between a game being bad because you don't like the genre and a game being bad because it's a bad entry into said genre. To criticize a game for being part of a genre is not much of a critique, it's just an admission of not being a fan of said genre. So I agree criticizng a visual novel for being all reading with little other gameplay is an odd one It always brings to mind a comic from Penny Arcade where they ribbed on people who would complain about RPGs by citing things fans like about RPGs.
I'm not seeing where in the review they criticize the game for being all reading and having little gameplay though? Unless I'm misreading what they're saying, it seems more like the review is criticizing the game because the added gameplay elements don't add anything and just feel like padding and for having a lack of branching story routes like most other visual novels have. I don't really see anything in the review criticizing it being all reading.
Quote:
The only other instance of any real gameplay is a search-and-find where the player is tasked with heading to different in-game locations to look for the veiled outline of a power sign through an AR filter. These tasks specifically struck me as a huge annoyance, since my objectives were so unclear and unfairly hidden that they felt like nothing but a waste of my time that is meant to pad out the game. These are the only gameplay elements you'll find in Robotics;Notes, since there are no optional dialogue choices or branching narrative routes. You are guided by hand from one end of a slow and uncompelling story beat to the other, and that might be Robotics;Notes biggest failing.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not seeing where in the review they criticize the game for being all reading and having little gameplay though?

Not the person you're responding to, but maybe this, at the end of the review? (Emphasis mine.)
Quote:
A lack of gameplay, forced fanservice, poor animation, and sluggish pace bog this title down and takes away from every enjoyable moment that it offers.

I get criticizing it for bad gameplay, because the minigames described in the review sound awful, but criticizing it for not having gameplay when that's just the genre (people often cite Zero Escape and sometimes even Dangan Ronpa or Phoenix Wright, but those all strike me as closer to adventure games and not really the same genre experience as the pure VNs I've played) strikes me as odd and un-earned. The review also says there are "no branching narrative routes" despite referring to multiple endings earlier, which leaves me very confused. Some of the comments here make it sound like it has a similar phone system to Steins;Gate. If so, saying it has no choices would be disingenuous.

Anyway, this didn't read to me as completely off-base in the way some people are saying, but it also isn't much help to me as someone debating whether to buy the game.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it talks about multiple instances of out-of-place fanservice in the opening and closing, despite only ever mentioning one in the body of the review (and I'm not sure I totally get what that one consists of despite the better part of a paragraph seemingly being devoted to it). "Fanservice" is such a vague term that I genuinely have no idea what type of scene this is referring to or whether it would bother me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I get criticizing it for bad gameplay, because the minigames described in the review sound awful, but criticizing it for not having gameplay when that's just the genre (people often cite Zero Escape and sometimes even Dangan Ronpa or Phoenix Wright, but those all strike me as closer to adventure games and not really the same genre experience as the pure VNs I've played) strikes me as odd and un-earned. The review also says there are "no branching narrative routes" despite referring to multiple endings earlier, which leaves me very confused. Some of the comments here make it sound like it has a similar phone system to Steins;Gate. If so, saying it has no choices would be disingenuous.
This just seems like the "too much water" meme where it looks kind of silly in the score notes but if you read the actual full review it's more understandable what they're getting at. But it's always been my philosophy to assume the most charitable interpretation of what you're reading.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
This just seems like the "too much water" meme where it looks kind of silly in the score notes but if you read the actual full review it's more understandable what they're getting at. But it's always been my philosophy to assume the most charitable interpretation of what you're reading.

OK, but I read the whole review, and my takeaway, as I said, was questions and confusion. What additional context should I be looking at here?
vidjamouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
#918323 wrote:
Why would you go into a visual novel expecting gameplay? The name is just what you're gonna get: a visual novel.
No matter how you look at it, Robotics;Notes is on the top caliber of VNs. It's not often you get animation, hell, even full voicing in the first place, and the artwork that's used hasn't aged at all either. It has much more "gameplay" than the usual VN has. By the way, Danganronpa doesn't count, it's only half-VN, unlike these big boy full-VNs.

Oh, and talking about everything except the localization, one of the most important parts they got wrong... Kinda cringe.

(Reviewer here) To answer this and many of the other complaints I saw on this review and the caliber of VN that Robotics;Notes sits as, I think it's important to note that I sat with this title right on the heels of 13 Sentinals - a VN experience that was superior in most every way that I could think of. Not only did this experience show me what a well realized VN could look like, but remember - I apply the same standards to every game I review. Pacing, Aesthetic, Writing, and Gameplay. These are what I observe when reviewing a game. And Robotics;Notes failed to deliver on not just one, but three of these facets.
vidjamouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
JGZinv wrote:
How about it's connections with Steins:Gate? How about how it compares to the existing anime?

I'll echo what others have said, ANN needs to retask itself with using reviewers that either are neutral or at least aware/accepting of the content before of reviewing it. The vast majority of this review can be summed up as "not a good entry point to VNs" and "I was bored because it wasn't action anime" is how it comes off. The seasonal anime list falls prey to the same problem, let's have someone that hates moeblob review the new moeblob. Yes you get a "critical review" as some perspective I suppose, but it often ends up more damming than having any educational value.

Otherwise perhaps there needs to be some profiling system where the good, bad, and ugly, of a reviewer's tastes are listed and the general populace can look at that as surmise if they are more or less similar to their own. That way they can follow along someone with similar likes and dislikes. If you hate everything I like, I'm probably going to discount your review in the first place as not applicable to me.

And before you ask if that applies here, R;N would be a solid "couple neat ideas but it was just ok anime with a poorly executed finale" and I've played part of the S:G VNs and watched all that anime and sub content. So I'm not a R;N pulpit thumper.
\

(Reviewer here) I am familiar with Steins;Gate. I watched the anime about a year after it came out. The thing here is that I'm judging this game not on the basis of what it has to say about the universe it sits in, but for what it presents to the player on its own merit. Not to mention, the overall narrative of DaSH didn't really relate to gate in any meaningful way other than the inclusion of Daru. I hope you can understand why I made this decision.
vidjamouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why it's needed for someone to like something to review it. If you're only getting reviews from people who like everything they review, you're just creating an echo chamber and not an accurate view of how people who are not normally into these games should play them or not

You're misunderstanding the complaint. The problem isn't that the reviewer didn't like this specific game, it's that they don't like visual novels in general. The target audience for this game is people who like visual novels. Getting a review from somebody who doesn't like the genre in the first place isn't helpful to anybody.

This is almost as disappointing as the time I read a review of Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth that was by somebody who both didn't like VNs and hadn't played the first two games in the series.

(Last thing.) I want you guys to know that I don't dislike Visual Novels. I don't dislike any genre in particular. I love GAMES. I love games that are fun or compelling or thought-provoking. I love it when a game makes me feel something. And this game did not. I wasn't harsh on Robotics;Notes for being a visual novel. I was harsh on RN for being what it was to me. A poor experience.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3