• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
You know way back in the day when Levi had to choose between Armin or Erwin to save with the titan juice I was entirely on team Erwin, I fully understood why Armin was chosen but figured that to win a war, Erwin would always be the 'safer' bet. A well known commander with years of experience, talented in convincing people to die for a cause, and the list goes on vs Armin who was younger, came up with creative ideas and... the best friend of the main cast. Armin was certainly the optimistic choice and could pay off greatily but who would gamble in a situation like that.

Now this far into the final season I still believe Erwin was the safer bet but it's likely a good reason that we have this kid whos terrified of what he's done, what he's become and what he likely will have to do. Armin still has some of his... humanity to be shaken up by what he's done and wants to find peace. I can only imagine if Erwin was still in command of scouts what terrible devilish plans he would have hatched with Zeke.

Hange did say last episode(or the one before) that it seemed like Armin was possessed by Erwin's spirit but I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll would've been much higher for their enemies, assuming Armin's plan was more effective than anything Erwin would've come up with.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:02 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I feel Erwin would've been the most affected by the information in the basement, had he been among those that got there.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
You know way back in the day when Levi had to choose between Armin or Erwin to save with the titan juice I was entirely on team Erwin, I fully understood why Armin was chosen but figured that to win a war, Erwin would always be the 'safer' bet. A well known commander with years of experience, talented in convincing people to die for a cause, and the list goes on vs Armin who was younger, came up with creative ideas and... the best friend of the main cast. Armin was certainly the optimistic choice and could pay off greatily but who would gamble in a situation like that.

Now this far into the final season I still believe Erwin was the safer bet but it's likely a good reason that we have this kid whos terrified of what he's done, what he's become and what he likely will have to do. Armin still has some of his... humanity to be shaken up by what he's done and wants to find peace. I can only imagine if Erwin was still in command of scouts what terrible devilish plans he would have hatched with Zeke.

Hange did say last episode(or the one before) that it seemed like Armin was possessed by Erwin's spirit but I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll would've been much higher for their enemies, assuming Armin's plan was more effective than anything Erwin would've come up with.

This is a very interesting perspective that I really appreciate about how AoT is telling its story. We are starting to see a deconstruction of everything that came before this point. Erwin would indeed have been the safer bet for "victory" but now the bigger question is what "winning" even means anymore and if they have the right to do it however they wish.

(minor spoiler)
spoiler[We are about to see the real dark side of Erwin's beliefs.]
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm just here to say that this (ep 9) was a beautifully-written review. Kudos to James.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Half-a-decade of reviewing anime has made it very easy for me to forget stuff like this, but I'm not crazy when I say that the Ackermann symbol on Mikasa's hand has literally never been mentioned or shown before, right? I'm used to AoT cramming unseen or unadapated backstory into dialogue like this, but it stood out more than usual.

This is one of the areas where Wit messed up. That bandage was always there in the manga but Wit removed the tattoo and made it a piece of embroidery instead.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I like the double-meaning behind Eren's words "What can you do?". Eren is saying that Hange or the Survey Corps can't contain him, but he's also asking if the Survey Corps has a better plan. To Eren, his plans are the only option left and the Survey Corps has wasted the precious remaining amount of Zeke's lifespan with little to show for it.

And I think Hange is genuinely trying to understand Eren, but her attempts at humor serve more to deflect and dance around the real issues than get through to him. They're like an older-sibling or second-degree parental figure trying to understand their rebellious teenager.

I do like Attack on Titan's humorous dialogue. Nobody speaks in polished quips, awkwardness and odd silences happen. Like when Levi makes his first stupid poop-joke with Eren and the only thing Eren can do is respond awkwardly because he didn't expect somebody like Levi to make a dumb joke. It makes even the most over the top characters feel human.

spoiler[I also like the Hizuru royalty thing. Like at first I thought it was going to be some new way to make Mikasa special, but then it turns out whether Mikasa is royalty or not means little. She still has little political power, and it was only used as leverage to manipulate things.]
takimo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic review as always James! Random point from my knows-too-much-about-Attack-on-Titan brain. Mikasa's father is the Ackerman, her mother is the descendant of the Hizuru clan. And as mentioned before the tattoo was in the manga but changed to embroidery in the anime so you didn't miss anything there.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:
Quote:
Half-a-decade of reviewing anime has made it very easy for me to forget stuff like this, but I'm not crazy when I say that the Ackermann symbol on Mikasa's hand has literally never been mentioned or shown before, right? I'm used to AoT cramming unseen or unadapated backstory into dialogue like this, but it stood out more than usual.

This is one of the areas where Wit messed up. That bandage was always there in the manga but Wit removed the tattoo and made it a piece of embroidery instead.

Yeah, it was the episode when Mikasa's parents were killed. They made it more a sewing project than a tattoo as it should have been.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who wants to check out that particular scene with the embroidery reference, I believe it was Episode 6.
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Ok wait so Mikasa was actually related to Levi and Kenny on her father's Ackerman side not mother's? I always thought that their badass side came from the Ackerman lineage who served King Fritz.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
For anyone who wants to check out that particular scene with the embroidery reference, I believe it was Episode 6.

Thanks for the heads up. Conveniently, this is also the episode where Eren yells at Mikasa the philosophy that he was reminding himself about in front of that mirror.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SilvaStreamer wrote:
Ok wait so Mikasa was actually related to Levi and Kenny on her father's Ackerman side not mother's? I always thought that their badass side came from the Ackerman lineage who served King Fritz.

It's rumored she's related to Levi somehow, that hasn't been fully said in the manga or anime. But it's said she is a relative. It just hasn't been confirmed how yet.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
SilvaStreamer wrote:

Mikasa's badass side did come from the Ackerman lineage who served King Fritz, that was her father's side. Her mother (who was described as Asian/Oriental) was a descendant of Hizuru's ruler, who was someone from the Azumabito family (the family crest was shown in this episode).

Mikasa could very well be related to Levi and Kenny from her father's side, but I understand it as the Ackermans being a clan like the Uchihas in Naruto, not so much as a family.

I believe that some people's confusion comes from Levi looking somewhat Asian compared to the other characters, so some people associated Asian=Ackerman. As far as we know Levi's not Asian (but even if it were revealed later that his father was Asian or something, it wouldn't have anything to do with his habilities)
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
For clarification, the iceburst stone is just the series' fantasy fossil-fuel resource analogue. Back in season 3 it’s explained that the reason why Marley wanted to capture the Founding Titan in the first place, was because they wanted to gain control of Paradis’ natural resources in order to ensure Marley’s military/technological/economic dominance in the coming future (since Titan powers are becoming obsolete in the face of technological development).

Also the crux of Zeke’s plan is that he’s essentially exploiting the loophole in King Fritz’s Vow to Renounce War, the key being that the Founding Titan *has* to be possessed by someone who is *not* of Royal blood (as the Will of King Fritz would take over any person who *did* have royal blood and prevent them from accessing the Founding Titans powers) and at the same time a separate person who *is* of Royal blood must hold any Titan-shifter power (it doesn’t have to be the Beast Titan specifically) that’s not the Founding Titan. Basically having those two individuals come into physical contact allows access to the Founding Titan’s power, and thus bypasses King Fritz’s will (which is specifically why Zeke is being kept from having any contact with Eren).

Also the reason why some of the Military Police are pissed that Historian got/is pregnant, isn’t because she’s preventing Eldia to “rise to power” exactly, but rather, because they the military brass, wanted to feed Zeke to Historia as soon as Zeke was brought over to Paradis, since they still don’t trust Zeke (and by extension Eren now as well). So they suspect someone like Yelena (who is a super devotee of Zeke) convinced Historia to get pregnant so Zeke could live out his final year on Paradis and activate the “test-rumbling” with Eren.
Basically the Paradis military brass is okay with using the Rumbling as a nuclear-deterrent analogue, but they are not okay with Zeke (as well as Eren now, since the military doesn't trust Eren now anymore) being the one to be in apparent control of the Rumbling for the next 1 year.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SilvaStreamer wrote:

Mikasa's is an Ackerman through her father's bloodline. And through her father she is distantly related to Levi-several cousins removed kinda deal.

Through her mother Mikasa is part of the Azumabito clan-direct line from the former Shogun.

From the main storyline:
The Struggle for Trost arc
The Uprising arc
The Marley arc

And the manga "Attack on Titan: Lost Girls:Lost in the Cruel World"
(also the OVA "Lost in the Cruel World")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 23