Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kuzu



Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 90
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:

Also the reason why some of the Military Police are pissed that Historian got/is pregnant, isn’t because she’s preventing Eldia to “rise to power” exactly, but rather, because they the military brass, wanted to feed Zeke to Historia as soon as Zeke was brought over to Paradis, since they still don’t trust Zeke (and by extension Eren now as well). So they suspect someone like Yelena (who is a super devotee of Zeke) convinced Historia to get pregnant so Zeke could live out his final year on Paradis and activate the “test-rumbling” with Eren.
Basically the Paradis military brass is okay with using the Rumbling as a nuclear-deterrent analogue, but they are not okay with Zeke (as well as Eren now, since the military doesn't trust Eren now anymore) being the one to be in apparent control of the Rumbling for the next 1 year.


Just to elaborate on this; remember when Eren said that a Titan Shifter who doesn't pass down their power after the 13 year period, it will be inherited by the first child born of royal blood. Zeke is in his last year.

As pointed out; it was either turn Historia into a Titan and have her eat Zeke (and thereby, cut her lifespan to 13 years as well) or get her pregnant and let that child inherit it.

Now if the farmer romance story IS a load of shit, and that child really is Eren's, then I don't think Eren has any intent on going with Zeke's plan at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1075
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Just to elaborate on this; remember when Eren said that a Titan Shifter who doesn't pass down their power after the 13 year period, it will be inherited by the first child born of royal blood. Zeke is in his last year.

As pointed out; it was either turn Historia into a Titan and have her eat Zeke (and thereby, cut her lifespan to 13 years as well) or get her pregnant and let that child inherit it.

Now if the farmer romance story IS a load of shit, and that child really is Eren's, then I don't think Eren has any intent on going with Zeke's plan at all.

I thought it was a random newborn Eldian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2198
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
Just to elaborate on this; remember when Eren said that a Titan Shifter who doesn't pass down their power after the 13 year period, it will be inherited by the first child born of royal blood. Zeke is in his last year.

As pointed out; it was either turn Historia into a Titan and have her eat Zeke (and thereby, cut her lifespan to 13 years as well) or get her pregnant and let that child inherit it.

Now if the farmer romance story IS a load of shit, and that child really is Eren's, then I don't think Eren has any intent on going with Zeke's plan at all.

I thought it was a random newborn Eldian.


Either way, if they also get hit with the 13 year limit, that's a pretty terrible thing to intentionally do to a new born
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zefram



Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
Just to elaborate on this; remember when Eren said that a Titan Shifter who doesn't pass down their power after the 13 year period, it will be inherited by the first child born of royal blood. Zeke is in his last year.

As pointed out; it was either turn Historia into a Titan and have her eat Zeke (and thereby, cut her lifespan to 13 years as well) or get her pregnant and let that child inherit it.

Now if the farmer romance story IS a load of shit, and that child really is Eren's, then I don't think Eren has any intent on going with Zeke's plan at all.

I thought it was a random newborn Eldian.


Either way, if they also get hit with the 13 year limit, that's a pretty terrible thing to intentionally do to a new born


It is, especially since, unless that child gets severely hurt, he/she will never find out that he/she is a titan. The child will live and suddenly at 13 years old die.

Plus the randomness factor means nobody could predict which Eldian child becomes a titan - it is a Paradis Eldian or Marley Eldian?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1075
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
There's a lot we don't know about this system actually.
It's already weird that there is a time limit at all considering pure titans just seem to be able to live on forever, but following from there:
-We haven't seen or known about any titan holder dying because of the time limit
-We haven't seen or known about a baby being born with titan powers
-Let alone a baby born with titan powers dyting at 13

I guess the normal time limit must be true otherwise Eren would already know it to be false and he has no interest in perpetuating the Fritz&Tybur conspiracy, but I have my reservations about the rest of the information and its source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilvaStreamer



Joined: 29 Jan 2018
Posts: 21
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
SilvaStreamer wrote:
Ok wait so Mikasa was actually related to Levi and Kenny on her father's Ackerman side not mother's? I always thought that their badass side came from the Ackerman lineage who served King Fritz.

Mikasa's badass side did come from the Ackerman lineage who served King Fritz, that was her father's side. Her mother (who was described as Asian/Oriental) was a descendant of Hizuru's ruler, who was someone from the Azumabito family (the family crest was shown in this episode).

Mikasa could very well be related to Levi and Kenny from her father's side, but I understand it as the Ackermans being a clan like the Uchihas in Naruto, not so much as a family.

I believe that some people's confusion comes from Levi looking somewhat Asian compared to the other characters, so some people associated Asian=Ackerman. As far as we know Levi's not Asian (but even if it were revealed later that his father was Asian or something, it wouldn't have anything to do with his habilities)


Thanks that explains it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4138
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Historia, my immediate suspicion, based on Hange's comments in the episode and the trajectory of Eren's character, is that the farmhand romance story is a load of bunk, and that it really is a part of Eren's plans, or a desire to keep her out of the Titan-Inheritor chess game that is going on. I can only pray that it was consensual, though, since I honestly don't know if I would put it past the new Eren to force the issue, so to speak. Hopefully, I'm completely wrong!


thats been my suspicion when i saw it in the manga and grew even further in vol 32!

considering that eren does have the founder's powers to alter memories, i would not put it past him to do THIS! especially when it comes to whose the father of historia's baby!.


i highly doubt that the father really is that farmer boy as she claimed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shakir0247



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, getting to this point in the anime years after reading it in the manga has made me realize how much I hate the pregnancy plot point in this otherwise very interesting direction the story takes.
The fact that Historia's actions and motivations have to remain hidden from the audience for now, and for a while to come, essentially ends up feeling like she's been abruptly written out of the story. Only her bloodline and her uterus remain relevant to the plot while her character and agency are basically gone (which is extra fucked-up given what her character arc was all about). It's just damn shame since she was one of my favorite characters in the manga.

(I tried to avoid any direct manga spoilers, but if this still seems too spoiler-y than feel free to mark it as such.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1075
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
shakir0247 wrote:
while her character and agency are basically gone (which is extra fucked-up given what her character arc was all about). It's just damn shame since she was one of my favorite characters in the manga.

Well, that's also what happened to her other half.
Reiner and Bartoldo were either deluded fools if they thought Ymir would get any kind of good treatment or outright malicious using and manipulating her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shakir0247



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
shakir0247 wrote:
while her character and agency are basically gone (which is extra fucked-up given what her character arc was all about). It's just damn shame since she was one of my favorite characters in the manga.

Well, that's also what happened to her other half.
Reiner and Bartoldo were either deluded fools if they thought Ymir would get any kind of good treatment or outright malicious using and manipulating her.


Kinda? While Ymir's offscreen death did feel like a waste, her arc in the last season we saw her in did reach a conclusion. Meanwhile Historia is still very much alive and is technically important to the plot, but only as a plot device. Even though she's presumably going through some difficult times and has conflicting feelings regarding current events, we don't get to see any of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pipoko



Joined: 13 Jun 2014
Posts: 165
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
The moment on the train in this episode is probably one of my favourite moments in the story, especially in light of a specific recent manga chapter.

Everything except Historia's plot thread ranges from alright to great, while the plot thread involving her character is pretty much my least favourite element of this entire story, in the manga and anime.

I think the point is that what she's going through is horrible, but it sort of contradicts its point by being executed the way it is.

I think the aim is to make the point its making also on a meta level and it's also intentionally written as a mystery but as we see this episode, the story itself cares as little as it possibly can for her situation. I think you could explore her even just a little bit more without giving away the mystery.

It's really jarring considering every other character, male or female doesn't seem to be given this treatment.

Eren is a mystery, but we still see a bunch of his thoughts.

I think her character will eventually be resolved as best as it can be considering this setup for her, but the setup is at best okay social commentary, at worst completely contradictory to the story's themes and her character arc about deciding to live for herself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4978
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
Historia’s plotline sucks enough without rape as a factor. I think Eren is probably her baby’s father, but I hope that there was strategic reasoning behind the conception that she agreed to or, better yet, actually planned together with him. It’s possible that there is even romantic attachment between them, there have been scenes pointing to that. There’s also plenty of reasons to keep their relationship and/or plan secret, as Eren isn’t trusted by the higher ups right now (was he ever?) and they insisted on vetting Historia’s baby daddy.

But, yeah, this situation is awful for Historia and basically writes her out of the story. We could also critique separating the lesbian couple (and, if you ask me, best ship) of the story, killing one partner off and impregnating the other...I’ve definitely seen fans who have made that point. It sucks all the way around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shakir0247



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yeh, it's probably my biggest frustration with the narrative as it is now, cos it just feels like a whole lot of wasted potential. Why build up a character so much and put her in an interesting position if you're not gonna explore it at all? I remember being very excited to see where the "Historia becomes queen" plot thread would lead, but the result turned out to just be very sad and disappointing.
I think normally I wouldn't care as much about something like this, but I guess I really expected better from this story in particular.

Agent355 wrote:
We could also critique separating the lesbian couple (and, if you ask me, best ship) of the story, killing one partner off and impregnating the other...

Yeh.... that's a pretty big yikes as well, although I think of that as more just collateral damage from other questionable writing decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pipoko



Joined: 13 Jun 2014
Posts: 165
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It really is strange considering I like pretty much literally everything else about the story.

I think all of the other main female characters are great in this arc, too. Love basically everything done with Gabi, Annie (however small the flashback stuff was, it was still substantial), Pieck, Mikasa and Hange (I think Hange has been confirmed to have whatever gender the reader/watcher wants them to have, I choose her to be female).
Obviously Sasha died, but she also had her character arc and ended up having more depth than just being a comic relief character, too.

AoT has never done anything like this, either, so it is a pretty odd anomaly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8910
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Something I've been wondering about a for a couple weeks now. What happened to that 5th member of Pieck's Panzer Unit? we only see 4 of them die
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 23

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group