• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
I think one of the reasons that Reiner's mother freaks out at what Reiner is saying is because the Warrior candidates in particular are closely monitored, so if he gets caught saying too much they might all be turned into titans and thrown off a zeppelin. That seems to be why they had the short scene of the window opening and her closing it, to keep out prying eyes.

The way the Eldians live is through manufactured consent, they agree to all this because they have to. And there's a quiet violence to this. We've already seen this contradiction break Reiner, we see an Eldian commit suicide by jumping off a roof presumably because of this.

I think that's another reason for the tracking shots, the horror direction, the lack of music. There is supposed to be a tension even in the more relatively peaceful scenes.

Marley and the world is teetering on a war with Paradis Island. And if all-out war starts, no matter who wins it won't bode well.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 am Reply with quote
I actually don't hate Gaby, it's beyond obvious that the writer wants us to hate her and I don't like being manipulated by a writer.

Anyways, what I can say is that MAPPA is following the Manga's art style closer, they use those lines on the characters faces that Isayama loves to use for expression that the previous Anime used but not to such degree.

I was also wondering if they were gonna fuse all of Reiner's flashbacks in one sole episode and, yeah, they will.

They are also using 2 Manga chapters per episode, which it's the perfect phase for a monthly manga.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen some fans express criticism at how this scene, which was apparently framed in a much more traditionally nostalgic light in the manga, is played up for black comedy under MAPPA's direction. I actually love this decision, because the very contrast of Reiner's words with how he is framing them is what highlights the fundamental absurdity of the propaganda he is trying to sell

Yeah, I agree. The different framing was a nice change. It better highlights Reiner's "dual" personality, which we first saw back in season 2. Like, when watching scenes like the one in the train, I can totally believe that Reiner's being serious about his threat, but at the same time I can believe he's trying to scare Falco on purpose to protect him, to make sure that he's careful about saying stuff that Marley could consider treacherous.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I actually don't hate Gaby, it's beyond obvious that the writer wants us to hate her and I don't like being manipulated by a writer.

Aah, Gabi. A literal kid who has been brainwashed by fascist propaganda and has been turned into a child soldier but who still remains carefree and cheerful and kind and who only wants to do what she believes is best for her friends, family, and people. Isayama truly wants us to hate this character Rolling Eyes
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Aah, Gabi. A literal kid who has been brainwashed by fascist propaganda and has been turned into a child soldier but who still remains carefree and cheerful and kind and who only wants to do what she believes is best for her friends, family, and people. Isayama truly wants us to hate this character Rolling Eyes

This is an interesting discussion I would like to have, unfortunately, I would need to use spoilers and I don't think doing it with somebody with such condescending tone would be worth the hassle.

I will admit I was wrong and you are right if that saves me from further discussion with you if you wish though.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The OP is really growing on me, and it is good to see Reiner develop into one of the most compelling characters at the moment.

This episode and arc just scream WWII and Cold War influences, for better and worse. The Eldians are very much under a life of brainwashing and terror. Reiner knows this, but being the only character in the current cast that has experience on the island and has witnessed the reality of the islanders, he must constantly toe the line of self-censorship and blind loyalty. He no longer has that split personality from prior seasons, as they have melded together. Now he can only look on his past and see the horror of it all, but with little he can actually do about it. Honestly, other than how blatantly it wears its real world influences on its sleeve, this arc is, so far, rather refreshing for Attack on Titan.

MAPPA is doing a good job, but I wish they would stop trying as hard as they are. For some reason, it feels like they are trying to be as fancy and technical as they can be with the animation and camera work, and it just leaves me jarred. From my view, it seems like they are trying to add intricate character movement (like in the latter two seasons of SNAFU) to an equally active camera. The problem is that they get in the way of each other. Case in point the scene with Reiner as it reveals Galliard sitting at a desk. Too much unnecessary movement.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

This is an interesting discussion I would like to have, unfortunately, I would need to use spoilers and I don't think doing it with somebody with such condescending tone would be worth the hassle.

It wouldn't be interesting nor would it be worth the hassle. The Gabi hate discussions got old years ago, and manga readers need to learn how to talk about the present moment without talking about how it's connected to the future.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
is the surprise too 9bvious to anime only watchers or am i being too informed?
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
is the surprise too 9bvious to anime only watchers or am i being too informed?

I knew immediately.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The adaptation is continuing to make choices on tone. Most of the direction leans on horror and rising tension. Playing the main battle-music during the flashback for instance.

Not sure if it was intentional but the Colossal Titan sequence reminded me of the Seven Days Fire sequence from Nausicaa. Guess it's fitting since they're really going hard on the Titans = Nukes thing. I guess there can be a debate on how well that metaphor works in the story in a story already full of extremely charged metaphors.

The adaptation of these chapters is pretty ruthless in what it leaves on the cutting room floor. I guess they have to be to fit this into two cours. Most of what was lost is mostly plotty-stuff, going into detail of why the Warrior trio did what they did. I don't think anything that got cut was really essential to understand the story but it would've been nice if they kept it in.

The animation with Annie's fight with Reiner was really good. Looking at Wit's reused animations was a tad jarring with Mappa's stuff.

I remember way back Jacob Chapman talked about EMA and RBA being parallels to each other. They both represent the Will/Body/Mind. Mikasa is the body being the strongest fighter, Armin being the mind making the plans needed to secure victory, and Eren being the will pushing the other two forward. Separately they're much weaker than the the three of them working together.

If the Warrior trio is a parallel to the Soldier trio, I imagine they're defective versions of EMA. Bertholdt being the body and the most destructive titan, but he's only capable of bursts of widespread destruction unable to transform with his allies near him. Annie would be the mind, good at reading the situation but that means she is too smart to fall for propaganda and sees any cause in the most cynical light possible.

And Reiner is the most obvious parallel to Eren, being the will. His determination leaving his mind and spirit broken. I imagine Reiner saw a lot of himself in Eren, both normal people who are incredibly driven by the desire to exterminate every single titan and save humanity.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:

The adaptation of these chapters is pretty ruthless in what it leaves on the cutting room floor. I guess they have to be to fit this into two cours. Most of what was lost is mostly plotty-stuff, going into detail of why the Warrior trio did what they did. I don't think anything that got cut was really essential to understand the story but it would've been nice if they kept it in.

To be fair, even as a manga reader, I think the last arc in general could do with a nip and tuck here and there. There's a bit of flab in the last few chapters in particular which could easily moved into higher paced thing. I've always preferred the anime adaptation of this, and I hope this continues into the final season, even with the staff. So far I've liked the emphasis on tone.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

As was mentioned above, lots of stuff was cut in this one. For the most part they made the right choices and kept only what was essential, but I'd be lying if I said the episode didn't feel rushed in terms of pacing.

If I could make one change, I would've liked if they had actually shown kid Reiner failing every single Marleyan test, cause Galliard accusing him of being the worst candidate right off the bat felt like it came out of nowhere. To me, seeing kid Reiner struggling to become a Warrior was what made the terrible things that happened after hit all the more hard.

Anyway, my favourite parts were the way they adapted the titans' introduction scene and, of course, spoiler[hobo Eren's speech right at the end. Our MC is finally back.]

Last edited by Everlasting Coconut on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok so it was rushed. I had that feeling when I watched it. It was kind of “choppy”. And some stuff didn’t make sense. Overall a good episode but it came off a little rough.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There has been so much Attack on Titan, stretched over a long enough period of time, that you will have to forgive me if I miss some obvious callback to prior episodes or OVAs (especially since I've never seen the OVAs). One moment that really baffled me this week was the random aside to Kenny confronting the blonde girl who was calling him “papa”. What on Earth was that about? I couldn't remember any such event from last season, so I figured it was crammed into this episode to account for some future developments, but feel free to correct me if I'm just completely spacing on material the show has already covered.

So I'm kind of face-blind with this show but I believe that was Annie in disguise - she mentions in the scene afterwards that she's been combing the underground for intel - and I assume she was going after Kenny since he's a member of the Military Police that Annie would eventually infiltrate. The "papa" thing was a ruse to explain why she was tailing him and it failed because Kenny is apparently VolCel.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
You're right, and what's interesting is that the anime made a slight change to Kenny's line after Annie falsely accuses him of being her father. In the anime, he mentions the promise he made his sister (to raise her kid Levi), which I suppose explains why he avoided becoming a father.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I couldn't find a good place to mention this in the last two reviews, but Porco's possession of the Jaw Titan, plus a brief flashback last week, confirm that Ymir was killed shortly after being taken to Marley. Normally, I would be upset that one of my favorite characters in a show basically got killed off-screen in between seasons, but given AoT's current shift in focus and expanding scope, I'd say it makes sense. RIP, Ymir. You and Historia will always be my AoT OTP.

The anime's 3rd season should've already strongly implied what happened to Ymir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23