• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Important is Period Costume Accuracy in Historical Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I’m super curious about where the manga Red River falls on this spectrum
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
@all-tsun-and-no-dere

I'm not sure how you could tell. 1500 BC is far enough back that we don't have much information on clothing styles. A brief Google search shows only some statues, pottery and jewelry. Not much information on clothing. More on hair styles though. Apparently they had very curly hair. In 1995 the author would have not had the internet to search and likely based the story on what popular culture shows for Egypt in that period.

For a period piece the author/artist does not have to know every thing, just as much or a bit more than the audience. Victorian England was not that long ago, a lot of people have some knowledge of that period. 1500 BC not so much especially among manga readers.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Hyouge Mono would be another show I'd add to the list. There's a wide variety of Sengoku-era clothing on display. Oda Nobunaga stands out (when does he not?) with his preference for Portuguese apparel like this:

In one of the early episodes Nobunaga appears with a mask styled like the famous horned mask of King Henry VIII.

The rest of the cast wear kimono or occasionally battle garb and armor. The hair styles are generally accurate I believe.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:
and can't tell apart a fedora from a trilby

In fairness, almost no-one can these days.
mangaka-chan wrote:
I’m surprised no one mentioned Victorian Romance Emma or Kaoru Mori’s other opus, The Bride’s Tale (which has yet to get the anime treatment). The amount of detail and research in both works is astonishing and I have so much respect for Mori-sensei for all the hard work she must put in to bring settings as diverse as Victorian England and turn of the century Central Asia to life.

In those cases, I think it's less putting in hard work for accuracy and more that she made these manga to indulge in her existing obsession with the settings. But either way, it's an impressive level of detail and accuracy.
marshmallowpie wrote:
If there's an anime that I wished had more period-accurate clothing, it's Princess Principal.

I get where you're coming from, but it's a fantastical enough setting to suspend disbelief on.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Rebecca is going to love this article. Smile ...

I'm also kind of surprised Morarty The Patriot wasn't among the series evaluated. Guess there's only so much room though.

Who, me? Laughing

I am a major stickler for historical accuracy in period costume, and I was excited when I saw this was coming up. Smile

As far as Moriarty goes, it's no Emma, that's for sure. The men's clothes are pretty good (hair needs more macassar oil, though, and there should be more facial hair), but the women's has some definite issues. The 1870s and 1880s were the bustle years, and while the show's been getting slowly better on that front (or back, as the case may be), they aren't nearly as big as they need to be in back and too full in front.

Still better than those damn bloomers in Arte, though! Smile
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On one end, we have serious sagas that use real life people and/or events to tell a story that directly ties in with that era's societal troubles, and on the other we have stylized fantasy romps that use history as inspiration for never-before-seen worlds. Which one do you prefer? Where do you think other historical anime like Gintama or Samurai Champloo fit on the spectrum?

Like a few other people have said, even something like Gintama or Samurai Champloo (or fair that matter, Le Chevalier d'Eon) that's still pretty fanciful is one thing, but something else entirely is "historical anime" that presents itself as a fairly accurate representation of the period it's set in. Especially when the period is fairly recent, and the costumes are not that hard to research - and it could be the little details that really matter. An example would be Night Raid 1931, or Joker Game, or Haikara-san.

In these kinds, an inaccurate costume would be sloppy at best, and can reall leads to questions about how seriously the creators are taking the whole production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I think a good standard on how accurate the historical costumes should be is how it compares to what you think the costumes would look like is the work were contemporary. JoJo and Demon Slayer are great examples because one actually has segments in contemporary (well, future) Japan and Italy, with fashion at least as crazy as the period parts, and Demon Slayer has the Pillars wearing customization that wouldn't raise an eyebrow in contemporary Shonen.

The thing that gets me is how the fashion is always either period of individualized, with little regard to there being overlapping fashions. You never see the artistic dress movement represented in Victorian works or medievalism, robe de style, or collegiate-inspired fashion in the 1920's.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that some historical Anime set in Europe are more accurate to the times than shows/films made in Europe in recent years.
Engineering Nerd wrote:
In terms of period accuracy, I was very disappointed to see Maria the Virgin Witch did not get mentioned at all, from weapons to common culture, it even gets some recognitions from non-anime-fans Crying or Very sad
I remember Skallagrim doing a video on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2