• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll for US$1.175 Billion in Cash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Never been a fan of Funimation either, but aren't all their controversies about censorship and political stuff only in the dub? Feel free to enlighten me if they've changed a bunch of subtitle translations as well, but all the big ones I ever heard about were dub writers going wild rather than the actual translators.

It's all overblown. The only "censorship" was that they dropped Interspecies Reviewers, and occasionally they get a little too cute with their dub scripts, which is labelled "political".

People WANT to hate Funimation, because it makes them feel important for fighting "the man" and having an excuse to pirate. It's pathetic.

I mean, the real reasons to criticize Funimation are their terrible streaming platform and occasional lackluster disc authoring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
So I wonder where that leaves me when this is finalised. I've a Wakanim ( The European Funimation really) and Crunchyroll subscription. If like before all dubs on Crunchyroll will be moved to Funimationnow I wonder if that also includes for Wakanim. I hope they give us some clarity soon.
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
People WANT to hate Funimation, because it makes them feel important for fighting "the man" and having an excuse to pirate. It's pathetic.

Basically this. It's telling how the people who had a meltdown over Funi using the word "patriarchy" in a dub didn't care when Sentai blacklisted VA over an accusation then doubled down and unperson'd her when said accusation was proven false.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote
{Mod Edit}: I removed your completely factless soapboxing post. It has been shown time and time again how you are wrong on your $600 theory and just spreading misinformation, yet you keep posting it in every thread possible. Stop it. If you do it again you will be put back onto moderation and it will be permanent. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
Sony was always the only suitor that ever made sense. There is no other company with such global reach in anime to benefit from owning CR and deep enough pockets to meet AT&T’s asking. CR will allow Sony to exploit its existing anime holdings much more efficiently and it gives them a real name brand that, like Funimation, people trust. (Though unlike Funimation, Crunchyroll made its name and got filthy rich off piracy and profited on the backs of fansubbers, we should never forget that.)

I do wonder what this means for the only other boutique service, HIDIVE, if Aniplex titles and shows licensed by Funimation (and companies like Right Stuf who partner with Funi or CR as is) are all spoken for from the jump.

I also wonder what this means for the future of CR originals and co-productions like Shenmue and existing partnerships with companies like Sentai. Maybe it’ll be a bit like with Funimation where Funi let their distribution deal with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment lapse and then switched their distribution to Sony. But the difference, I guess, is that Sony owns Animax and Kids Station abroad but doesn’t have an American equivalent. They’ve tried to play a bit with the Animax name here but they never got anywhere with it. So they’re dependent on Adult Swim or maybe the new G4 if they want to get this stuff on linear TV unless it’s something that can sell toys.

Covnam wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if there's any significance that it was Funi GG that bought Crunchy and not Sony Pictures?

It’s an organizational thing. That’s where in the Sony behemoth CR will go, in the joint venture with its other streaming services, even if they all ultimately get folded into CR. That Gen Fukunaga still owns a piece of it is academic.

Last edited by Aresef on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Basically this. It's telling how the people who had a meltdown over Funi using the word "patriarchy" in a dub didn't care when Sentai blacklisted VA over an accusation then doubled down and unperson'd her when said accusation was proven false.

Are you talking about Krystal Laporte? What was she accused of anyway?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:49 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Teraman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Are you talking about Krystal Laporte? What was she accused of anyway?

I dont want to get too down in the details because this thread isnt about that, but from what I read Sentai essentially blamed her for Chris Ayers health problems a few years ago because they were dating at the time. They also accused her of using her relationship with Chris to get roles (despite the fact that she was only the lead in like one show he directed, and they didn't give the same energy to John Swasey who casts his daughter in just about everything he directs. Not saying thats a problem, it's just the hypocrisy of it).
DjangoDCCX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
If this gets approved, the biggest library of blockbusters will once again be under one roof, without the need to pay for another streaming service, and it opens up the door for new competition to take try and take either Crunchyroll or Funimation's place. My money is on Funimation's streaming service being shuttered since they've already retired in Australia in-favor of Animelab. Crunchyroll already had a larger global reach than Funimation's streamer and it makes more sense for Funimation to focus on their core licensing and acquisition business and let Crunchyroll do what it does best.

The only bad thing about this scenario is that Crunchyroll won't affiliated with Adult Swim or Rooster Teeth anymore. I'm also worried about the future of VRV. The novelty of that service was having anime simulcasts, web animation, and classic cartoons under one roof. With Crunchyroll gone, WarnerMedia revolving around HBO Max, and half of VRV's content being third-party partnerships, they aren't going to last. But I think it's still better to deal with a conglomerate that has actual experience in the production and distribution of Japanese animation, like Sony (Aniplex, Animax, etc.), then something as disorganized as AT&T.

Fanboys neither know or care about the business and assume this deal will create a monopoly because all they ever watch are action shows. The reality is that it's smaller companies, like Sentai and Discotek, that provide more variety and options for the anime streaming market and, in doing so, help prevent the bigger problem of piracy by offering their catalogs on AVOD. What fanboys should be worried about is who's going to take the "third spot" alongside Crunchymation and HIDIVE because neither party is going to be able to acquire every show during every season and, if they don't, something like Netflix will try. I honestly think that "everything for everyone" brands like Netflix are better off co-producing anime than offering U.S simulcasts.

2017 was a game changer because of the Crunchymation partnership and I look forward to seeing what else can be done after everything is cleaned up.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:
If this gets approved, the biggest library of blockbusters will once again be under one roof, without the need to pay for another streaming service, and it opens up the door for new competition to take try and take either Crunchyroll or Funimation's place. My money is on Funimation's streaming service being shuttered since they've already retired in Australia in-favor of Animelab. Crunchyroll already had a larger global reach than Funimation's streamer and it makes more sense for Funimation to focus on their core licensing and acquisition business and let Crunchyroll do what it does best.

The only bad thing about this scenario is that Crunchyroll won't affiliated with Adult Swim or Rooster Teeth anymore. I'm also worried about the future of VRV. The novelty of that service was having anime simulcasts, web animation, and classic cartoons under one roof. With Crunchyroll gone, WarnerMedia revolving around HBO Max, and half of VRV's content being third-party partnerships, they aren't going to last. But I think it's still better to deal with a conglomerate that has actual experience in the production and distribution of Japanese animation, like Sony (Aniplex, Animax, etc.), then something as disorganized as AT&T.

Fanboys neither know or care about the business and assume this deal will create a monopoly because all they ever watch are action shows. The reality is that it's smaller companies, like Sentai and Discotek, that provide more variety and options for the anime streaming market and, in doing so, help prevent the bigger problem of piracy by offering their catalogs on AVOD. What fanboys should be worried about is who's going to take the "third spot" alongside Crunchymation and HIDIVE because neither party is going to be able to acquire every show during every season and, if they don't, something like Netflix will try. I honestly think that "everything for everyone" brands like Netflix are better off co-producing anime than offering U.S simulcasts.

2017 was a game changer because of the Crunchymation partnership and I look forward to seeing what else can be done after everything is cleaned up.

Could the original still be its own thing for those who want to be specific with Crunchy while the Anime original titles go to FUNimation?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
So basically when it comes to NA streaming and distribution, there's one Goliath (SFGG) and some Davids. The Davids being Netflix, HiDive/Sentai, Viz and Discotek. Amazon seems to be out of the currently airing anime game. Retrocrush has its niche thing going on. NISA and Media Blasters have been irrelevant for years, merely re-releasing one of their old titles occasionally.

I'm most worried about HiDive/Sentai. Their output has visibly shrunk for in the last few years and that was before SFGG bought Crunchy. I don't think their future is super bright.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
Will this be the end of it, or will there be other companies being brought out? Like Viz or GKIDS.
lostrune wrote:
Not that a monopoly is ever really a good thing, but I suspect that will be who is most affected by this: English dub watchers, especially if Sony throws out all the Crunchyroll's dub producers and LA voice actors and uses strictly Funimation/Texas talent.
That's one thing I would hate to see, dubs done for CR shows all done by Funimation. Not that LA is inherently better, but Funimation feels more like a dub factory in recent years than a studio, LA and NY dubs don't feel so rushed.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
For me
- I've never had a good experience with streaming Funimation content. On their own sites and services, it's super buggy compared to CR. I've used CR on PS3, PS4, and web browser and it works as expected for me 99% of the time.
- My friends currently use the Funi app and the experienc they describe in 2020 mirrors the ones I had waaaaaaaaaaay back when FMA:B and Phantom were simulcasting.
- I've had CR since the day they said they'd start legally streaming Naruto Shippuden in the US. A lot of the reason why I still have the subscription is because I'm used to it always being there and nostalgia.
- I'm not the same rabid, ultra zeitgeist I must watch everything and talk about it online that day and blog it and wiki it fan I used to be. I went from following like 10 shows a season to watching 10 series in a year so I probably don't NEED a dedicated anime app anymore.
- Every month I notice an anime I love/loved watching on CR is now up on Netflix.

For CR/industry
- I don't think streaming is the type of thing where double the content means you need double the employees. I would imagine there will be SIGNIFICANT redundancies. Even though Funi has worse tech imo, I can see them buying CR so they feel like it's CR's tech people that are redundant and need to go.
- I can't imagine the #1 anime streaming service combining with the #1 anime selling service means the smaller players have more room to negotiate now. How many shows go elsewhere because CR and Funi had a bidding war on massive show x and the increased cost prevented of getting show x means they couldn't buy smaller show y?
- I can see some studios or publishers in JP making deals where Funi/CR gets 100% of their content for x years. They're the two companies you would prefer to deal with anyways and now they're under one roof.
- Funi/CR combined has the reach and power to dictate to the US consumer what they will pay for anime and if you don't want to pay that, go with the competitors that they can literally starve for content using their wallets. I'd bet that within a year of the merger, Funimation/CR streaming cost on par with Amazon, Netflix and all the others or they get rid of the option to buy it by the year and save money.
- One positive could be if Funi throws all their tech in the trash can and fully adopts whatever CR is doing.
- One negative could be that CR's tech is thrown in the trash and now like 80% of streaming anime is through Funi's tech which is so bad that they're always pulling a "The Wire" and trying to change the name of it to distance it from the really bad service they were selling and are still actually selling.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Will this be the end of it, or will there be other companies being brought out? Like Viz or GKIDS.
lostrune wrote:
Not that a monopoly is ever really a good thing, but I suspect that will be who is most affected by this: English dub watchers, especially if Sony throws out all the Crunchyroll's dub producers and LA voice actors and uses strictly Funimation/Texas talent.
That's one thing I would hate to see, dubs done for CR shows all done by Funimation. Not that LA is inherently better, but Funimation feels more like a dub factory in recent years than a studio, LA and NY dubs don't feel so rushed.

Admittedly we are seeing more LA VAs in Funi dubs as of late but I appreciated having some steady LA dubs coming from Crunchyroll so I'd like to see that continuing in some form beyond keeping casts consistent for Re:Zero or the upcoming sequels to shows Crunchyroll dubbed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I feel like it would be better to roll Funi into Crunchy. Crunchy seems like it has been super hot the last few years, and Funimation seemed like it was limping. Although my only real concern is that they don't put everything into Funi's app because that thing is garbage.

This is the first season when I am watching more shows on Funi than on Crunchy. On CR I'm watching Golden Kamuy 3, Climbing Girls, and Jujutsu Kaisen. I'm following four or five shows on Funi like Moriarty, Sleepy Princess, and a couple of others

It seems like Funi has started licensing shows that I would have once expected to see on CR like Sleepy Princess. CR still has more of the CGDCT type of shows like Climbing Girls and Days at the Breakwater. Those never seemed to be Funi's forte; wonder if that will change.

Anyone who thinks this merger will attract the attention of the FTC or the DOJ hasn't been paying attention to how these bodies think about monopolization in the entertainment industry. For years now these bodies have largely seen television services as competing within a wide universe of entertainment options including movies, sporting events, and the like. Anime is hardly significant enough to change that perspective.

I'd expect we'll see the overall price fall to say, $10/month, compared to the $13/month to CR+Funi.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope this leads to more disc releases of CR series. Quite a few CR series that I enjoyed haven’t gotten released on disc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5