• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Game Awards 2020 Roundup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Hopefully Sephiroth comes with more than like two tracks :/

We know he has One Winged Angel and he'll probably come with Birth of a God, but the one I'm really hoping for is J•E•N•O•V•A.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Yeah, not sure why this article rags on it so much. It has some semblance of style and uniqueness. I've seen far worse remake artstyles that just look like generic thick outlined Flash animation or 3D models. TMNT Reshelled and Ducktales Remastered were way worse.

I'll concede that the Reshelled's 2.5D artstyle was iffy (though most people tend to beat down the game for other reasons Razz). But Ducktales Remastered's style wasn't really bad unless you absolutely hated the TV show.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the VGAs are awful because they can't decide between being an actual awards show or just a hype machine, best exemplified by Keighley refusing to wear proper dress shoes. Also not helped by awarding Naughty Dog despite their poisonous culture and Druckmann being the most insecure asshat since David Cage. Anyway:

-Smash: Did not see this coming, even if Sephiroth is my favorite FF villain. I think even if the remake didn't come out Square would still demand him because he was the last interesting thing guys like Kitase and Nomura did. Hopefully we get more music from VII as Square being stingy was just annoying. The meme landslide with him has also been hilarious.

-Back 4 Blood: Hopefully better than Evil Within because it's not under Zenimax

-Dragon Age: Yeah, being cautious with this.

-Ark 2: Also weird how this was announced with an animated series that has voice talent like Elliot Page and Malcolm McDowell.

-Monster Hunter Rise: They're also posting weapon videos this week. The new Silkbind moves look cool, like the Hunter Arts from Generations.

-Mass Effect: More cautious. Also, stop trying to shove Liara down everyone's throats.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'll concede that the Reshelled's 2.5D artstyle was iffy (though most people tend to beat down the game for other reasons Razz). But Ducktales Remastered's style wasn't really bad unless you absolutely hated the TV show.

Maybe I'm a sprite purist, but like I said I dislike that thick outline flash style, which is what I'd say Ducktales has. It just doesn't look right and makes it look like a flash game from Newgrounds.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
The only thing that really pisses me off (apart from the experience of watching the show) is that Microsoft Flight Simulator, Crusader Kings, and X-Com are somehow considered part of the same genre category.

Yeah, they already have a ton of categories, most of which they announce winners for in five-second segments between trailers. Why not Strategy *and* Sim rather than Strategy/Sim?

Last edited by Sven Viking on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Mass Effect: More cautious. Also, stop trying to shove Liara down everyone's throats.

Well she is the most popular girl. Although I see this less as a "return to form" and more of a desperate cash grab after Andromeda failed. I have zero hope for a new Mass Effect or Dragon Age though. All the original founders and staff left back in 2012 and the modern people they got there just can't make good writing or compelling characters, let alone non-buggy gameplay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2