• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'll Never Set Foot in That House Again!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
I have read the first two novels and midway through the third.

This is in a way a series about an overpowered protagonist. It is a light hearted fantasy series, with a few dark elements.

The girl is raised as an abused, tormented, and starved daughter of a baron. Who is rescued when she is found it to have a super rare skill.

It makes one wonder, what would have happened if she didn't have this super rare skill. Would she have been rescued, or would she still be abused and eating weeds in the garden.

This series differences itself in the Isekai genre, by the protagonist, not being from off-world, but other characters are.

Chelsea is a 12 year old girl, who has been abused, starved, and not educated for her entire life.

My problem is with the reincarnated characters in the show. We meet with two of them, during the first two novels.

Let me present a couple of analogs:

Myne from Ascendance of a Bookworm, Myne is an adult woman reborn into another world, but she still retains all her memories and experiences.

Katarina from My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!, Katarina is older teenage woman reborn into another world, and regains her memories and experiences at the age of 5.

In both cases, Myne and Katarina, both are functionally mature. (though there could be discussion on whether or not, a brand new youthful body might impact the maturity level of formely older people.)

Chelsea from I'll Never Set Foot in That House Again!, is a emotionally and physically stunted individual due to years of abuse, neglect, and starvation. Though these status aliments are cured through magic.

Due to the politics of these three fantasy worlds, all three characters are engaged to be married at a young age. In some ways, Myne and Chelsea are prisoners of their own powers and knowledge.

In the case of Myne and Katarina, they have former maturity going for them, while Chelsea doesn't. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, because, it is a medieval fantasy world. But the difference is that Chelsea's guardian, Lord Glen has been reincarted from our world. Lord Glen and the other marriage requester both have been educated to our level. In this story Lord Glen, is presented as a real romantic love interest, which is the problematic part.

spoiler[Chelsea's power conceivably could destroy the world with ease,] so it makes sense that the royality would want to claim her or kill her, with a politcally arranged marriage to cement ties and control.

So I don't know what really to think, the politics of Chelsea's world and her skill, practically forces an arranged marriage, and right now, spoiler[Lord Glen is the best candidate.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1