• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Talentless Nana Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Denys Lalande wrote:
Eh -- it's all ground the TV show _Babylon 5_ covered *twenty years ago*...

Uh...where did this quote come from? oO I went so far as to look up the poster and afsics they have not posted anything anywhere in the forum for over two weeks.
The post seems to have gone to the same place the Babylon4 Station went...Mysterious! I blame the Shadows but Garibaldi could have had motive... Smile
Hellsoldier wrote:
...With that said, the end result should never be Genocide. There's evidence of coexistence between Homo Sapiens Sapiens and Homo Neanderthalis. Homo Neanderthalis was possibly exterminated via Genocide, but that was just pure ill will
Yea, another B5 fan!! Watch your back pal, you see what happened to Lalande...Anyway, genocide shouldn't be the answer but I agree with his synopsis that it would happen just as in Talentless Nana here. Heck, a check of Wikipedia on "genocide" shows how many times people have tried it just over ideological or racial disputes, imagine how big a reason there would be if there were a group that could literally do anything with their minds. Human nature being what it really is, it would only take a handful of a-holes with Power to take over and start disappearing their non-supporters. A few rounds of that and *poof* no more "normies". Shin Sekai Yori! So this show proposes that "normies" would, quite understandably, want to beat them to that game if they could....
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think this show is better than Moriarty, mostly because Moriarty is so serious and convinced it's the smartest and coolest thing ever and that it's protagonists are super sexy when they stand solemly in the rain in the ED and put chess pieces in their mouths for absolutely no reason in the OP.
Like, I can't take it seriously. They might as well have made the characters big tiddie anime ladies in victorian-inspired bikinis. Meanwhile Nanana is willing to have fun with it's weird premise.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
o be frank the show just relies too much on the students being unbelievable dumb for most of Nana's schemes to work.

Nah, if anything, Among Us has taught me just how dumb kids can be in that situation. Nana has specifically crafted the most trusting, most friendly, most bubbly persona possible so that, even if the odds are stacked in her favor, her peers will want to believe her and trust her even in the face of overwhelming circumstantial evidence. Nana said it herself. People don't believe the truth, they believe people. It's not a matter of them being unable to suspect her, it's a matter of not wanting to, and unless hard evidence of her crimes pops up, don't expect that to change. Nana knows what makes people tick and she knows how to take advantage of that.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Nah, if anything, Among Us has taught me just how dumb kids can be in that situation. Nana has specifically crafted the most trusting, most friendly, most bubbly persona possible so that, even if the odds are stacked in her favor, her peers will want to believe her and trust her even in the face of overwhelming circumstantial evidence. Nana said it herself. People don't believe the truth, they believe people. It's not a matter of them being unable to suspect her, it's a matter of not wanting to, and unless hard evidence of her crimes pops up, don't expect that to change. Nana knows what makes people tick and she knows how to take advantage of that.

It would be a thing if there were divided factions, but every single student believing the one girl who is always in the thick of it and has a conveniently unreliable talent? It strains the suspension of disbelief. Also, they think the island is full of man-killing monsters who can impersonate and possess people yet they don't care when classmates start dying/disappearing and continue their lives like nothing happened. Even teenagers can't lack this much self-preservation.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I too agree with that rationale presented by Nana, but the show didn't work for it or made the process believable, it just suddenly demanded for us to accept Nana already won everyone's trust as she had planded and roll with it. I am not saying she couldn't have eventually manipulated most of them into blind loyalty, she has proven to have the wits for that, but we didn't get any proper built up that would justify her having accomplished that feat. It just gets pulled out of nowhere as plot armour whenever it is convenient for the show to not have anyone but kioya raising questions.

Also you are mixing up my two points. The part about them being dumb wasnt about trusting nana but being unbelievably nonchalant as their peers disappeared . How could they just keep living as normal after 3 people in a row went missing, even after they had 3 corpses discovered (aside from the previously mentioned), the writing just had them keep going to classes and act as if nothing had happened, the only difference being that kioya would round some of them up everytime he was about to go CSI. How come the school is not being flooded with complains for the lacks of action, then why is no one but kioya suspicious that the school is not doing crap at all? More believable characters would be forming groups, secluding themselves in their rooms and being extremely suspicious of the school after the first corpse was discovered and it's subsequent extremely lazy cover up. Aside from the sleuthing knowhow at this point it feels like kioya is no genius at all, he just have an expectedl level of common sense
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I feel like people would turn into blind little followers pretty quickly if one of them could convincingly lie about being a mind-reader, and claim to be able to detect the man-killing monsters.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Aside from the sleuthing knowhow at this point it feels like kioya is no genius at all, he just have an expectedl level of common sense

Hah! I remember thinking similar when he investigated the first second and third killings. He comes across as a sherlock holmes fan rather then any sherlock himself. He is just a kid who found suspicious events and is reasonably disturbed by them. While everyone else is dismissive. It would help sell it if the other characters where more fearful of possible revelations rather then just ignorant.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Denys Lalande wrote:
Eh -- it's all ground the TV show _Babylon 5_ covered *twenty years ago*...

Uh...where did this quote come from? oO I went so far as to look up the poster and afsics they have not posted anything anywhere in the forum for over two weeks.
The post seems to have gone to the same place the Babylon4 Station went...Mysterious! I blame the Shadows but Garibaldi could have had motive... Smile
Hellsoldier wrote:
...With that said, the end result should never be Genocide. There's evidence of coexistence between Homo Sapiens Sapiens and Homo Neanderthalis. Homo Neanderthalis was possibly exterminated via Genocide, but that was just pure ill will
Yea, another B5 fan!! Watch your back pal, you see what happened to Lalande...Anyway, genocide shouldn't be the answer but I agree with his synopsis that it would happen just as in Talentless Nana here. Heck, a check of Wikipedia on "genocide" shows how many times people have tried it just over ideological or racial disputes, imagine how big a reason there would be if there were a group that could literally do anything with their minds. Human nature being what it really is, it would only take a handful of a-holes with Power to take over and start disappearing their non-supporters. A few rounds of that and *poof* no more "normies". Shin Sekai Yori! So this show proposes that "normies" would, quite understandably, want to beat them to that game if they could....

Well yeah, that would sadly be the outcome, if nothing else precisely because the fear of being the victims of genocide would prompt people into action (i.g. genocide). Fear of the Unknown Up to Eleven basically.

Picking up the whole Neanderthal vs. Homo Sapiens thing, genocide is at least 42 thousand years old. A "good old" tradition.

So yeah, it would probably happen, specially with the danger some of these Homo Superior would pose.

It seems that spoiler[the message was sent back over 1.000 years in time for the great war, to be used as a base of operations. And there it will probably stay.]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

It would be a thing if there were divided factions, but every single student believing the one girl who is always in the thick of it and has a conveniently unreliable talent? It strains the suspension of disbelief. Also, they think the island is full of man-killing monsters who can impersonate and possess people yet they don't care when classmates start dying/disappearing and continue their lives like nothing happened. Even teenagers can't lack this much self-preservation.

Kyoya points out to others that her whereabouts always being unknown whenever anything happens is sus as hell. Nana knows this as well, which is why she goes out of her way to craft a murder that gives her a rock-solid alibi, in the process clearing her of suspicion and discrediting the one person that's trying to publicly unmask her.

And they all seem to have pretty conveniently unreliable talents, so singling out Nana for that doesn't really make much sense.

Plus many students do stop coming to class once the first, real, undeniable murder happens. Tsunekichi's death was unofficially ruled as an illness, and with everyone else missing there's still just the smallest room of denial that there isn't a serial killer hunting them down. As soon as the first body drops that can't be ruled as anything other than a homicide, they react accordingly.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
This series is sort-of what Kaguya-sama - Love is War might be if Fujiwara was a serial killer.

Or maybe it's the fan-fic Fujiwara would write. Complete with a pink-haired protagonist.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
This series is sort-of what Kaguya-sama - Love is War might be if Fujiwara was a serial killer.

Or maybe it's the fan-fic Fujiwara would write. Complete with a pink-haired protagonist.

This is so apt I had to burst out laughing. Just imagining that in place here is hilarious.

Yeah, it is very important to remember these are kids hyped on having super powers, lied to and told they are going to save the world, on an island left to their own devises absent (as far as they can see) the supervision of more than a single hapless homeroom teacher. They are going to form their own pecking order, and the only ones that are going to be seen as a threat are those who threaten that pecking order. Nana, coming off as the mostly a cutesy, friendly, face makes her not that concerning outwardly. The fact her power seems inconsistent is likely to make her less suspicious since it limits the fear that she's just sitting in the back of the room reading everyone's mind whenever she wants.

Kids generally think they're invincible, even when they don't have super powers. Puff them up with powers and tell them they're gonna save the world will amp that to 100 on a scale of 1-10. They likely don't even consider it a real threat, but that some "weaklings" got taken out, or that they were surprised/ambushed/etc. None of the deaths were face-to-face, but stabbed from behind, poisoned, etc. Even if they don't really believe it, the excuse is still in the back of their mind that, "well, that person was taken by surprise."

Having a mind-reader not saying that one of them is a threat, but the unseen monster out there they've been preparing to fight, keeps the "strength in numbers" mentality intact and mutes fears. The individuals stay more relaxed because they instinctively believe the others are in the same boat and therefore also keeping an eye out. The latest death is a great example; spoiler[three "fools" listening to "king moron" speech late into the night, and no one can imagine anything but unseen monsters were the killer because how else would we not hear it?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3