Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - That's Not Very Cyberpunk of You


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 214
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
The failure of Cyberpunk at the moment is all thanks to the gaming community forcing CDPR's hand to release a game that wasn't ready. The death threats, the preorder cancellations, etc. All of that made them put out a project that needed more time. Toss in the whole pandemic situation this year and you have the mess that we have. So, all those haters out there really have themselves to thank. All those "reviewers" shitting on things didn't even wait for day one patches (among other things) so they're playing something that wasn't finalized following release day.

I've been playing on the PS4 Pro and haven't encountered or been able to mimick any of the glaring issues that people have been supposedly harping about, and god damn it's the same ones... kinda strange.


Hilarious Laughing .

None of that caused this game or any game to release before it's ready. Only investors have that influence. When a game delays, it's stock goes down cause investors lose patience. Meanwhile, despite all the delays pre-orders still went up. But sure convince yourself it was the fans. I remember last year when Nintendo's stock went down after animal crossing's delay was announced at a treehouse event but some fans convinced themselves that the real cause was the number of dislikes on a youtube trailer Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 25 Aug 2014
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
All those "reviewers" shitting on things didn't even wait for day one patches (among other things) so they're playing something that wasn't finalized following release day.


can't have a review with a day one patch when the internet at large expects, nay, DEMANDS a review before or on release day, y'know
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1209
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]
Wyvern wrote:




Th CyberPunk has been in development since at least 2012/2013
.


Correction: The game was announced then, but didn't actually enter into production till 2015/16 after the Witcher DLC was done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1209
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
The failure of Cyberpunk at the moment is all thanks to the gaming community forcing CDPR's hand to release a game that wasn't ready. The death threats, the preorder cancellations, etc. All of that made them put out a project that needed more time. Toss in the whole pandemic situation this year and you have the mess that we have. So, all those haters out there really have themselves to thank. All those "reviewers" shitting on things didn't even wait for day one patches (among other things) so they're playing something that wasn't finalized following release day.

I've been playing on the PS4 Pro and haven't encountered or been able to mimick any of the glaring issues that people have been supposedly harping about, and god damn it's the same ones... kinda strange.


Hilarious Laughing .

None of that caused this game or any game to release before it's ready. Only investors have that influence. When a game delays, it's stock goes down cause investors lose patience. Meanwhile, despite all the delays pre-orders still went up. But sure convince yourself it was the fans. I remember last year when Nintendo's stock went down after animal crossing's delay was announced at a treehouse event but some fans convinced themselves that the real cause was the number of dislikes on a youtube trailer Laughing


It's actually hilarious in that the CDPR guys came out a few days ago saying that investors weren't really pressuring them and that they didn't release it now just cause of player pressure. They just wanted to do it now and not much more else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 369
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
None of that caused this game or any game to release before it's ready. Only investors have that influence. When a game delays, it's stock goes down cause investors lose patience. Meanwhile, despite all the delays pre-orders still went up. But sure convince yourself it was the fans. I remember last year when Nintendo's stock went down after animal crossing's delay was announced at a treehouse event but some fans convinced themselves that the real cause was the number of dislikes on a youtube trailer Laughing


One thing I've learned is internet discourse is never beholden to logic or reason.

Apparently the game sold 13 million copies so far. I don't think that's a failure in anyone's book. And I say this as someone with no real interest in the game outside watching a few streamers play it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estoma



Joined: 11 Jan 2019
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the the massive hype for this game. So many people touting that this was going to be the game that changes everything. It really always just looked like GTA in a cyberpunk setting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 214
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
None of that caused this game or any game to release before it's ready. Only investors have that influence. When a game delays, it's stock goes down cause investors lose patience. Meanwhile, despite all the delays pre-orders still went up. But sure convince yourself it was the fans. I remember last year when Nintendo's stock went down after animal crossing's delay was announced at a treehouse event but some fans convinced themselves that the real cause was the number of dislikes on a youtube trailer Laughing


One thing I've learned is internet discourse is never beholden to logic or reason.

Apparently the game sold 13 million copies so far. I don't think that's a failure in anyone's book. And I say this as someone with no real interest in the game outside watching a few streamers play it.


Oh, I don't think the game is a commercial failure. 13 million copies sold is nothing to sneeze at. However, what might seem like a success to consumers, could be a failure to investors and publishers. I think it was Battlefield 5 that infamously failed to meet EA's target despite selling more than 7 million copies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deacon Blues



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 283
Location: Albuquerque, NM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
It's actually hilarious in that the CDPR guys came out a few days ago saying that investors weren't really pressuring them and that they didn't release it now just cause of player pressure. They just wanted to do it now and not much more else.


As if we'd ever hear the real reason anyways... there was pressure coming from somewhere to release this game before it was ready. It was likely a combination of both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1209
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
It's actually hilarious in that the CDPR guys came out a few days ago saying that investors weren't really pressuring them and that they didn't release it now just cause of player pressure. They just wanted to do it now and not much more else.


As if we'd ever hear the real reason anyways... there was pressure coming from somewhere to release this game before it was ready. It was likely a combination of both.


The info came from this btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5waFS_OPvqc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanadise



Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 233
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
If nothing else, I'll always be able to enjoy that a cyberpunk-themed game -- a setting which is traditionally used to criticize late-stage capitalism, massive corporations, and the privatization and militarization of police -- was not only produced by a huge company that forced its employees to crunch for months on end, but also that the game was a commercial success but a critical flop. There are multiple levels of irony going on here and it's really quite delicious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavetheUsher



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 469
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
If nothing else, I'll always be able to enjoy that a cyberpunk-themed game -- a setting which is traditionally used to criticize late-stage capitalism, massive corporations, and the privatization and militarization of police -- was not only produced by a huge company that forced its employees to crunch for months on end, but also that the game was a commercial success but a critical flop. There are multiple levels of irony going on here and it's really quite delicious.


Cyberpunk, the genre, is probably one of the prime examples of why critical reception tends to be very out of line with what fans look for in a game or movie. Most people just like the cyberpunk genre because of cool, futuristic sci-fi action stuff. Critical failures but financial successes are usually signs of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CommonHorse



Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm about 50 hours into Cyberpunk and I want to say this game is a very fine game at its core. Had it not been for the previous generation release and the bugs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. People forget that this was the same case for the transition between the PS3/360 era to PS4/Xbox One with some titles like GTA 5 and Battlefield 3 hitting those low frames and looking ugly as hell. Graphically Cyberpunk supersedes what we've seen in the previews from previous years (which is super rare) and is probably the prettiest looking game to date on PC with all the bells and whistles like RTX. CDPR was dragged through the mud for dumbing down the Witcher 3 graphics from the previews and it seems like the PC release was in response to that because they're clearly not holding back. I don't believe a game should be dunked on because of its glitches and bugs which will be gone in time. Had we ran with this criteria, Fallout New Vegas would be considered one of the worst games of all time (which it's not because culturally it's considered a classic at this point).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtherSideofSky



Joined: 19 May 2016
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
CommonHorse wrote:
glitches and bugs which will be gone in time.

I hate when people make this argument, as if all major bugs inevitably get ironed out. It's simply not true. A lot of bugs get fixed, but never all, and there are plenty of games with bugs so deeply embedded that even fan years of fan patches can't eliminate them.
You mentioned New Vegas. Well, New Vegas with years worth of official and fan patches can still easily bug quests into incompletability. I've never done a remotely thorough playthrough without needing to quick load or use a save editor to compensate for triggers that simply failed to work. And that's a game that got extensive support. Plenty of games don't, even ones from major publishers. Any kind of completion-blocker or save-corruption bug is a huge deal (especially for anyone on console, where you often can't it without a complete restart) and absolutely deserves to be included in criticism.

No opinion on Cyberpunk as a game, since I haven't played it yet and don't plan to for a while, but I don't like people pretending that performance on high-end systems (which everyone I personally know with an up-to-date gaming PC has still been complaining about) excuses the awful state of the last-gen ports. The game was announced, and accepted preorders for, those platforms years before the current gen consoles (and before the PC hardware most people running it well are using). The game was also originally stated to release months before both the new consoles and this year's batch of GPUs. Cancelling those versions to focus exclusively on high-end hardware would be one thing, but dumping an unplayable on people is inexcusable. (And there's no way this refund and delisting situation would be happening if it wasn't unplayable. These are the people who will still gladly sell you the PS3 port of Shadow of Mordor.)

Anyway, wicked excited for Dungeon Fighter Duel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2086
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Cyberpunk despite the bugs (on PC, the console versions are a whole 'nother story). There are still some pretty bad ones though on PC so I'm just making sure to save often lol
If you can wait, it's definitely best to do so. Haven't beat it yet, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what the DLC ends up being Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATastySub
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 295
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
In the same column of link where this article can be found, there's a puff piece about how Final Fantasy XIV has become the best game in the series, after a disaster of a launch that took Square Enix nearly 2 years to repair. And as Naoki Yoshida has said in interviews, much longer to repair the trust they had with their audience.

In last week's coverage of the Game Awards, one of the awards that didn't even get a casual mention in the brief intro was Best Ongoing Game, which went to No Man's Sky. The same game is also up for a Steam award for Labor of Love. Both awards are recognizing that a game that was released as an unplayable mess was completely turned around by a dev team that had faith in their product, just not enough time or money to make it happen right away.

And then there's Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not here to defend CDPR's actions. I agree that the game needed more time in the oven, and that the writing isn't the top-notch, revolutionary story it was hyped up to be. But I personally enjoy the game, and I can recognize all the hard work and love that went into the sometimes microscopic attention to detail.

So it pains me that almost every time I check out the internet these days there's another article jumping on the shitposting bandwagon about how terrible the game is because it runs badly on the PS4. Acting as if I'm a terrible person who should feel terrible because I can both run the game and enjoy it. As if CDPR hasn't already promised to spend the next 6 months to a year making it right for every platform. As if every game designed for next-gen hardware didn't avoid showing footage from older systems. As if CDPR wasn't offering full refunds if your local retailer refuses. (Way to misrepresent that in the article!)

I get it, it's a fad. It's cool to hate the things everybody says you should hate. It's nice to belong to the group. Pulling out clauses from the review NDA? The latest CoD had the same restrictions - it's really not that unusual for AAA titles. All this demonstrates to me is that there's a witchhunt going on. Everyone's stressed out, and people were looking forward to this, and it didn't go the way they hoped. Break out the pitchforks and torches.

You're saying all this but missing the actual point you're making. All those games you listed that are doing well now? They improved because people pointed out how they were failures. If everyone had just sat back and not said anything nothing would've changed. FF14 was a disaster and the path it took to re-make it is a notable success story because they admitted how badly they fucked up and let someone else take over. No Man's Sky was a victim of shady marketing and hype that was outside of their control, along with a forced release date. Cyberpunk is neither of these. They controlled their own marketing and release. The people in charge of fixing it are the same ones that caused this problem and are saying the same platitudes they did in making it. Calling a trash fire a trash fire is not some delusional short sighted scheme, it's stating the obvious. Looking away from the fire and telling people it doesn't exist because you aren't looking at isn't a virtue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group