• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy XIV is the Best Final Fantasy Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I think a lot of the reason XIV has been so successful is because it has a different voice than most FF's over the past twenty years. FF since X has basically been defined by the same three guys: Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima. And even when they were not directly on production, they still got a major say in the games' direction which has led to a ton of stagnation and problems. When you have the same guys dictating how a game goes down, there's a lot of rehashing and bad ideas repeating.

I'm not really sure what your issue with those three are in particular, but Kitase and Nomura have been involved in 14's development so I wouldn't say that's accurate. Honestly I'm not exactly sure what you perceive to be all that different in this game compared to past games, could you elaborate a bit?

I think the game's success mainly down to the fact in the west the only other real alternative MMO is World of Warcraft. A lot of WoW players got sick of the game over the years and were happy to switch to 14 and have some kind of alternative. I know I was one of them. It's also the only true anime-themed MMO out there that isn't some kind of basic hub based game like PSO2 so people who never cared to western aesthetic can enjoy it since until then there was only Korean games like Tera which were a pretty big mixed bag in terms of quality and grind.

Although I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the polish WoW had. Blizzard has way more money than SquareEnix does, or at least more than what Square's willing to pump back into 14 and not divert out towards their other projects, and I do miss the massive scale and quality of updates of WoW, but I do dip my toe back there every now and then in 14's lull periods.

Dark Mac wrote:
s this an ad? I think FFXIV is great, but it's weird that you don't mention any of the game's flaws, like the weak story of Stormblood and Zenos being an abysmally dull villain.

It came off more like a personal story to me, given the writer's personal goal of not talking to anyone which honestly seemed a bit counterintuitive for a MMO to me, but to each their own.

I didn't mind Stormblood's story it's still much better than Realm Reborn's , and while I do think Zenos coming back was an obvious eleventh-hour response to his unexpected popularity and them scrambling to find a way to write him back into the main story again, I'd say he's not that bad and could lead to some interesting payoffs... so long as he stays true to his character. spoiler[I'm more interested in Fandaniel. I'm hoping he truly is just a nihlistic evil dude. I think we've had enough sympathetic sob-story villains, especially of the Ascian kind. It's getting a bit too shounen-y with how we befriend every villain before killing them these days ]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Is this an ad? I think FFXIV is great, but it's weird that you don't mention any of the game's flaws, like the weak story of Stormblood and Zenos being an abysmally dull villain.

No, this is a feature from a person who genuinely liked a thing. We don't do stealth ads here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
phia_one wrote:
The only MMO I've played is ESO, but I've considered playing FFXIV. It sounds and looks cool, but TBH the only FF games I really enjoyed were X and XII.

You should be fine, it actually has a really good story and the base game and first expansion are now free with no strings attached. It has this really neat class system where you can take on any job without rolling a new character.

I so wish ESO would allow players to do this. Players have been asking for class change tokens for a few years now.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
phia_one wrote:
The only MMO I've played is ESO, but I've considered playing FFXIV. It sounds and looks cool, but TBH the only FF games I really enjoyed were X and XII.

You should be fine, it actually has a really good story and the base game and first expansion are now free with no strings attached. It has this really neat class system where you can take on any job without rolling a new character.

I so wish ESO would allow players to do this. Players have been asking for class change tokens for a few years now.

Yeah, it's a really cool system that let's you check out everything and not have to go through the tedium of the redoing the entire main story as well as being able to fit any role.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yeah, it's a really cool system that let's you check out everything and not have to go through the tedium of the redoing the entire main story as well as being able to fit any role.

It's a double edged sword. If any character can change to any class then it devalues the classes as a whole, which is a big problem with 14 in particular. There's no real satisfaction or benefit to playing an unpopular class when anyone can just switch to it on the fly when it's needed, or switch out of it when it's not the meta I prefer the one class per character style since it makes each character feel special and have a role that only they can fill, even if it's just conjuring food and water and making portals Wink
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
It's a double edged sword. If any character can change to any class then it devalues the classes as a whole, which is a big problem with 14 in particular. There's no real satisfaction or benefit to playing an unpopular class when anyone can just switch to it on the fly when it's needed, or switch out of it when it's not the meta I prefer the one class per character style since it makes each character feel special and have a role that only they can fill, even if it's just conjuring food and water and making portals Wink

I grew up with EverQuest, so I know what you mean, but FF14 was never meant to be like those kinds of MMOs, at least after the 2.0 revision. A lot of players of 1.0 did voice complaints how the zones became much smaller and more like linear, cramped hallways,(the Shroud zones especially) and the game dumbed down a lot of mechanics, but that seemed to be the new direction the game was aiming for. Even moreso these days with the homogenization of jobs, crafting, and level-sync content over the past few expansions.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
That really depend how you define "best", having played FF14 shortly after the reboot I'd say it has some great moment and mechanic but I was low key bored most of the time. Levelling was slow once you reached higher level and most people would just group up in massive group made of rando and just go around the map doing the dynamic quest over and over and over again. Mind you, it wasn't really doing the quest since everything just died so fast that you barely did anything beside spam AoE spell. Pretty boring.

Story was also massively undercut by it being an MMO, I always found it hilarious when you'd go back to one of the main quest giver in a tiny room to turn in quest and get a cutscene along the line "you're the only one we can entrust with this" and once you'd leave the cutscene the room would be literally packed with hundreds of player (some much higher level than yours). Why not ask those level 50 guys to deal with the threat? Otherwise writting was about the same level as WoW quest, not bad but meh.

Gameplay was just way too freaking slow, 2.5 seconds global cooldown is almost a joke, WoW as a 1.5 sec GCD and it's already pretty slow. I started as a lancer and the entire rotation was just 1-2-3, rinse and repeat (you could throw a stun and minor buff here and there if you felt fancy). It was so boring I switched to archer, which was better until I realized I could macro my entire rotation to 2 buttons and get almost optimal DPS...

Class switching is cool, but hardly transformative, you still had to level those class up and you bring very little from the other class, not a big difference from having an alt.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
This thread reminded me that the only mainline Final Fantasy games to come out this decade were XIV and XV. Has it really been 11 years since XIII? My God I feel old.

meiam wrote:
Gameplay was just way too freaking slow, 2.5 seconds global cooldown is almost a joke, WoW as a 1.5 sec GCD and it's already pretty slow. I started as a lancer and the entire rotation was just 1-2-3, rinse and repeat (you could throw a stun and minor buff here and there if you felt fancy). It was so boring I switched to archer, which was better until I realized I could macro my entire rotation to 2 buttons and get almost optimal DPS..

Honestly they're both not that great in terms of combat these days. WoW has devolved into a very arcade-y, button mashy mess that is obviously trying to emulate MOBAs and Guild Wars 2 style of games where you only have a handful of abilities. XIV is slower, and as a result you might think your abilities have more impact and require more thought, but it's also not that challenging either since rotations are all very simple and the fight arenas are always a small flat circle with not very surprising mechanics.

But in terms of story I'd give it to XIV, easily. WoW's story has been terrible since WoD. But even if it was good and worth watching these days, the way it presents its story is very hidden and easily missed so unless you know what to do or how to start the old expansion or quest chain you'll likely end up skipping it. Plus with all the different phases and sharding it can be a nightmare for newer characters to try to go through every expansion and questline. For better or worse, XIV forces you to do the story so it's impossible to miss so there's no question there. Although I will say WoW utilizes it's zone mechanics more like changing entire zones for story reasons between patches so the world feels more reactive to what's going on in the story.

I play XIV for the story more than the gameplay. I'll sub when a patch drops and then play it for a few weeks before going back to other games until the next patch drops. Otherwise, I don't find the game very engaging from a gameplay point of view much since there's not a whole lot to.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Gameplay was just way too freaking slow, 2.5 seconds global cooldown is almost a joke, WoW as a 1.5 sec GCD and it's already pretty slow. I started as a lancer and the entire rotation was just 1-2-3, rinse and repeat (you could throw a stun and minor buff here and there if you felt fancy). It was so boring I switched to archer, which was better until I realized I could macro my entire rotation to 2 buttons and get almost optimal DPS...

This complaint only applies to the very early game. When you get to max level and you have a complex multi-action rotation, a ton of oGCDs while dodging real mechanics and skill/spell speed...it is not "slow."
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't played FF XIV for a couple of years now, but one thing I found incredibly annoying was the crafting activities. They were boring and repetitive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2