• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Panophobia wrote:
Karyl and Pecorine:
This is really forced. Just because Pecorine said “I love you!”, this does not mean she has romantic feelings.
That could be due to there being so few they have to include vaguely hinted at ones as well.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
With everything I've heard about how bad Gibiate is, I'm surprised no one picked it as their worst (I haven't seen it and don't plan to, this is just based on others' opinions).

I also agree that Attack on Titan 4 should have been considered 2021 instead of 2020. I don't think it's fair that it overshadows all these other shows that had at least 10 episodes in 2020.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
With everything I've heard about how bad Gibiate is, I'm surprised no one picked it as their worst (I haven't seen it and don't plan to, this is just based on others' opinions).

I also agree that Attack on Titan 4 should have been considered 2021 instead of 2020. I don't think it's fair that it overshadows all these other shows that had at least 10 episodes in 2020.

A couple of picks (ID: Invaded, Digimon Adventure:) took up spots that could have gone to that one out of personal disappointment rather than being outright bad. Something being a disappointment can feel a lot worse than something you have no expectations for being a total failure.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Jen Bigby wrote:
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Classifying Appare and Kosame’s relationship as LGBTQ is an extreme stretch. Was there no other more prominent Male/Male relationships in 2020 that you just had to settle? No good Yaoi anime came out this year?

If I had to guess, the writer either prefers yuri or dislikes traditional BL.

Only if you consider sexual assault part of "traditional" BL.

Most of 2020's BL titles aren't officially out in English yet. That's really all there is to it.

TGCF came out this year, fully legally released on Funimation, a BL anime that didn't have that and is part of the biggest boom of BL fandom in the anglosphere in a long long time. (Which I wish could have at least warranted a mention in a wrap up post about 2020 LGBT anime)

Last edited by Samiamiam on Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:47 am; edited 12 times in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Demon Slayer being so high was just people voting for the show and not the movie specifically considering (afaik) it's only available in Japanese theaters...
MilaSen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Akudama Drive <3
BockLefty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one who watched SNAFU S3, cause it certainly feels like it. Now, granted, I binged up to S3 and then followed it, but it was pretty sublime. The series itself is in my top ten of all time, and S3 gave me everything I could want to close it out. I'd thought it was more popular, but maybe I was wrong?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
^ It's in my top 5 if that's worth anything. On another website I go to, it won AOTS for the season it was on with 16.01% of the 1387 total votes.
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:
Was I the only one who watched SNAFU S3, cause it certainly feels like it. Now, granted, I binged up to S3 and then followed it, but it was pretty sublime. The series itself is in my top ten of all time, and S3 gave me everything I could want to close it out. I'd thought it was more popular, but maybe I was wrong?

I did the same, though I might not have been on the edge of my seat while watching it, I enjoyed it immensely. It would probably not be in my top ten of all time, but it is most definitely in my top ten slice of life list if not top five. Theron mentioned it and other titles that were always the ones that my fiance and I watched together when our days off lined up.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
TGCF came out this year, fully legally released on Funimation, a BL anime that didn't have that and is part of the biggest boom of BL fandom in the anglosphere in a long long time. (Which I wish could have at least warranted a mention in a wrap up post about 2020 LGBT anime)

I’m in love with Heaven Official’s Blessing. It is, hands down, the BEST romantic relationship of the season, and my favorite LGBTQ+ couple this year. I wish ANN would talk it up more. While I’m grateful to TWIA for letting me know about it, there’s not even an encyclopedia entry for the show. I guess because it’s Chinese and not Japanese?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:

SNAFU S3 was on by Honorable Mentions list (which means it was in the lower half of my Top 10).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RenRen94

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
Best Anime of 2020
1. Idolish7 Second Beat - First of all, the music is fun and catchy, which is paramount for an idol anime. The characters are more than standard idol tropes: everyone has their own baggage that can't be resolved in a few episodes or even 2 seasons (Riku and Tenn), and it delves into the less-shiny aspects of being popular idols that is glossed over by most modern idol shows, such as the issue of popularity among a large group. It be slightly dramatic, but this show has heart and treats its characters very well. This series is an underrated gem and needs to be talked about more. Gimme Season 3.
2. Fruits Basket 2nd Season - I only know bits and pieces about what happens in the manga from friends who have read it, so I was aware of what would happen in some places but didn't know how they would be presented in the anime. Season 2 knocked it out of the park, such as Akito's confrontation with Tohru at the beach house, Momiji and Momo confiding in Tohru, Uotani and Kureno, Yuki's backstory, the Cinderella-ish play, and episode 25 in its entirety. Gimme Season 3.
3. Haikyu!!: To The Top - My volleyball boys! Season 4 did look rough in some places, but the good boys of Karasuno make up for it with spunk and glorious comedic timing. There isn't a bad character in Haikyu (with the exception of Shiratorizawa's coach who needs to get his head out of his ass and accept that short players can excel at volleyball). Fingers crossed for a Season 5.
4. Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this show. Megumi Ogata really brought Hanako-kun to life (haha I'm a terrible person for making that joke) and Mitsuba is a treasure that should be protected, despite his smart-ass mouth. Interested in picking up the manga at a later point.
5. Appare-Ranman - Out of all the shows delayed by Covid-19 last year, this was my #2 show that I was waiting to come back to (#1 was Idolish7). This series was just dripping in fun, from the character designs, the wacky hijinks that Appare would come up with, and GUN-KATA. I would definitely rewatch this in the future.

Honorable mentions: My Next Life as a Villainess, Kaguya-sama 2, Jujutsu Kaisen, Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle.

Best Character
Yuki Sohma, Fruits Basket Season 2 - as others have mentioned before, Yuki had astronomical growth this season. It was interesting to find out that Yuki, who is billed as the opposite of Kyo in terms of their social status in the Sohma family and the outside world, was struggling in both social situations: ignored and brushed aside by his immediate family, tortured by Akito, and keeping his classmates at a distance for fear of transforming. It cemented the reason why he needed to find friendships outside of the Sohma family that liked him for who he is, and not because he was "special." He learns to forgive those who wronged him, and to open up to others.

Honorable mention: Kakeru Manabe, Fruits Basket Season 2 - he's just great and a big idiot who makes me smile when he's on screen. Also best bud for Yuki.

Best Moment
Kureno's Confession, Fruits Basket Season 2 episode 25 - no words, masterfully executed. Gives me chills no matter how many times I watch it.

Very honorable mention: Mitsuki Confides in Nagi about Fan Opinions, Idolish7 Second Beat - the scene gives a sobering look at the crushing effects of fan expectations and popularity of rising idols, and how it's negatively affecting Mitsuki. As alluded to in earlier episodes, fans' love and expectations can come in all different forms that require a different response, and it's impossible for an idol to respond to all kinds of love, leading to fans feeling disappointed and ignored. Kudos to the show for showing this aspect of idol culture.

Best Songs (can't pick just 1 or 2, just listing my faves)
Everything out of Idolish7 Second Beat
No.7 - Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun OP
Last Dance - In/Spectre ED
Other Side - Id:Invaded ED
Chou no Tobu Suisou - Pet OP
Daddy Daddy Do - Kaguya-sama 2 ED
TOP and SLUMP - Tower of God OP and ED
Navigator and Welcome my Friend - The Millionaire Detective OP and ED
Prism - Fruits Basket Season 2 OP1
Memento - ReZero Season 2 ED
Win - The God of High School ED
Spark Again - Fire Force Season 2 OP1
Anima- SAO Alicization War of Underworld Part 2 OP
Maioritekita Yuki - Mr Love: Queen's Choice ED
Lost in Paradise - Jujutsu Kaisen ED
Kimi to Iu Shinwa and Goodbye Seven Seas - The Day I Became a God OP and ED
Dying Wish and Alpha - Moriarty the Patriot OP and ED
Yuusetsu - Golden Kamuy Season 3 ED
Needle Knot - Ikebukuro West Gate Park OP
Shanghai Honey - Gymnastics Samurai
Hypnosis Mic Rhyme Anima and Kizuna - Hypnosis Mic OP and ED
Zero Limit and Thawing - A3! Season Autumn and Winter ED1 and ED2

Best LGBTQ+ characters
Xie Lan and Hua Cheng, Heaven Official's Blessing - they're just great together, episode 5 was a delight.

Honorable mention: Maria, My Next Life as a Villainess.

Best Video Game
Persona 5 Royal - the only new game I completed last year out of the very few that I bought. I really love the Phantom Thieves, they feel like a group of friends that I would actually hang out with, and I love it when shows write teens as teens, awkward as they may be. Third semester made me love spoiler[Akechi] all over again. spoiler[Need more savage Akechi in my life].

Worst/Most Disappointing Anime of 2020
The God of High School - In a year that gave me 3 disappointing sequels in Tsukiuta Season 2, Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods, and Food Wars Season 5, I had to go with the show that came out swinging right out of the gate only to land flat on its face with its razor thin plot: The God of High School. If anyone asked if the 3 episode rule still worked with regard to exploring new anime, I would tell them no after watching GOH. Those first 3 eps were solid, and then the awful wedding episode happened, and it just never really recovered after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9