• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
q_3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Best moment of 2020 has got to be Golden Kamuy unveiling the much anticipated Russian pee tape.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'd pick that same moment from Golden Kamuy 3 as well. It comes right after an incredibly tense sequence and provides a needed change of pace. Of course, recency comes into play since I saw this scene just a week or two ago.

The reveal in episode nine was another significant and totally unexpected scene.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of really good moments this year so here’s a short list of them. The fight in episode 5 of God of High School, SAO where Eiji and Yuna showing up to fight PoH or the final battle between Kirito and Gabriel, the fight between Yuji and Mahito or Satoru Goujo’s Domain Expansion from Jujutsu Kaisen, the scene in My Next Life as a Villainess where Catarina’s harem defends her by saying she’s to dumb to orchestrate bullying on Maria, and a bunch of moments from Fruits Basket, such as Kyo realizing his feelings for Tohru, Rin’s heartbreaking backstory, that scene with Kureno in the final episode, and the hilarious school play. However my favorite moment is either in Railgun T where the Doppelganger creates a giant monster made out of random materials and then Misaka creates a giant monster out of electromagnetic sand and they fight or, Plus Ultra Prominence Burn from My Hero Academia Season 4.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
So, I went through the list of 2020 anime, and here's what I watched:

Finished, or all released so far, for continuing series:
BNA: Brand New Animal
Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU
Keep Your Hands Off Eizoken
Talentless Nana

Multiple episodes:
Aggretsuko (ONA 3)
BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Osomatsu-san (TV 3)
Somali and the Forest Spirit

First episode:
Great Pretender
Interspecies Reviewers
No Guns Life
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Of those, Eizoken was far and away the best.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Hanako-kun review. It was such a good show.

My favorite moment this year was the scene in My Next Life as a Villainess, where spoiler[Katarina meets Acchan in her dream and declares she has a world and friends to go back to. It's so sweet because it's like finding something worth living for, and the insert song is wonderful]. Closely followed is the big reveal at the end of Fruits Basket S2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
While I fully agree with the Ais/Weine confrontation being about the best moment, I am surprised no one mentioned Tower of God and the *betrayal* of Bam. Not exactly "best" but it was a big deal to the show and the English VAs did a heck of a job with it. Also the "Crim Mayo" segment of Interspecies Reviewers was the most erotic thing I've seen in a long time (big kudos to the Japanese VA whoever she is...)!!

Holy cow, is the list of 2020 shows huge! It was hard to pick just 5, so many good shows, but very honorable mentions go to BOFURI, Fire Force and Infinite Dendrogram in addiiton to others already mentioned. While a little early for "worst" I'll say Plunderers with dishonorable mentions to Peter Grill, Cagaster and Listeners.
McClenahen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Danmachi's not on the mega poll.

Its under is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
#872051 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Danmachi's not on the mega poll.

Its under is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon

At the time that post was made, it wasn't on the poll under either name. That was later corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
I feel like a broken record, but can someone post a link to the poll in this thread for people like me who largely read only the forums?

It seems like I ask this question every time there is a poll. Is it too much to ask that a link to every poll be included in any discussion thread about the poll?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
You can always look up here whenever a poll is mentioned - animenewsnetwork.com/survey/
I think the only other place linking the poll is the header in the main page? I largely ignore that so I only heard about it from a post here, too. Cool thing is in the /survey/ page I can't open the poll again to see my choices/change them, but I can by clicking on the link in the header.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
My best song this year is Otome no Route wa Hitotsu Janai! from My Next Life as a Villainess. It's catchy, upbeat, and has some shades of classical music (including a bit of Beethoven's 5th). It definitely gives a feel for the show as a whole, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, Lynzee, your review of Eizouken brought tears to my eyes. But I guess in a good way.

I miss the weekly charts summarizing the popularity/star ranking of series. It was one way I had of identifying reviews and series I was maybe overlooking. Any chance those could come back?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Healin’ Good is one of my faves this year, so it’s awesome to see it get some love! And I’m glad Sleepy Princess and Somali also got love, I really enjoyed them.

My personal fave this year was My Next Life as a Villainess. I found it cute, funny and heartwarming, and also healing since the last episodes were about two characters finding things worth living for and accepting happiness. Also, Katarina was my favorite character of 2020. So kind and compassionate, and I love how her kindness is her strength. We need more isekai protagonists like her.

Katarina was my favorite of 2020 as well. The rare case where you understand why a Harem character is loved by all

Favorite anime was Toilet Bound Hanako-Kun the series was just the perfect blend of humor, horror and pathos. It also is one of the biggest disappointments of 2020 that no sequel was announced when there is plenty of material left in the manga. But I now have the manga to read at least
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Best song is actually easy for me, for once. Eizouken's OP is just that good. I can give praise to Kakushigoto's OP, Akudama's OP (even though everyone I talk to thinks the music is terrible), and BNA's OP and ED. I liked how Akudama Drive's OP was foreshadowing for the events happening later, and how BNA integrated its ED so well into the show too.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Best of 2020 Summary

With all eight contributors now having weighed in, below is the summarized list of results.

This year we have 27 different titles represented (out of a maximum possible of 40). That's well higher than last year, when we had more contributors, which suggests a wider quality spread. Only eight earned more than one vote, and there was a clear (and IMO utterly unsurprising) top choice. How will this line up with the mega-poll on Friday?

Notes: Numbers in parenthesis indicate #1 picks. Tiebreakers are most #1 votes, then highest average ranking, then alphabetical order.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - 5 (3)
Akudama Drive - 3
Kaguya-sama 2 - 3
DanMachi III - 2 (1)
Dorohedoro - 2
Deca-Dence - 2
Sleepy Princess in Demon Castle - 2
Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - 2
Appare-Ranman! - 1 (1)
BEASTARS - 1 (1)
BNA: Brand New Animal - 1 (1)
Re:Zero 2 - 1 (1)
Haikyuu!!! To The Top - 1
If My Favorite Pop Idol. . . - 1
Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul - 1
Somali and the Forest Spirit - 1
Ascendance of a Bookworm 2 - 1
Gal&Dino - 1
Woodpecker Detective's Office - 1
Hi Score Girl II - 1
Interspecies Reviewers - 1
Moriarty the Patriot - 1
Gleipnir - 1
Healin' Good Precure - 1
Japan Sinks: 2020 - 1
My Hero Academia the Movie - 1
Wave, Listen to Me! - 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9