• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Akudama Drive is High-Octane Insanity

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murgleis1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Good show, but after the initial caper and spoiler[Brawler's death] I feel the story became more generic. Or, at the very least, I thought the overall plot trajectory was missing something. I'm not expecting something intricate like Blade Runner or Dark City or Neil Gaiman's Snow Crash, but surely they could have done something with a little more intrigue with a cyberpunk setting like this instead of just "durrrr cops are bad".
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Binged the series throughout the week. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, tbh. I thought the haircut was rad and don't understand how most of this thread is folks complaining about a fictional woman cutting her hair(similar to the sleazebags from the episode she does it)? Kinda gross. Confused

My only real issue with the series was the bunny/shark exposition dumps in almost every episode. They were usually jarring and slightly off-putting, as if the setting/plot were -so- complicated that we need the extra information spoon-fed to us. Eventually it tied into the plot near the end, but I groaned every time they appeared up until then.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this TWIA. I might not have checked this series out without it (too much anime, too little time).

Between Akudama Drive and BNA there must be a neon-purple pixel shortage now.

As over-the-top as this series was, I think its social-commentary themes hold together better than most series that focus on, for want of a better critical vocabulary on my part, the clash of individual and society. Each of its major characters had well-defined personalities (maybe not Cutthroat so much) and ended up with some great plot-chemistry. To echo Steve's reviews --- it just works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2