• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2020: A Turning Point For Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The pandemic didn't really change life for me all that much (yay essential worker...) so I've more or less been reading at the same speed as before (my goal is usually one LN a week), but I do have an extensive backlog of things. Some continuing stories. Some brand new.

Though I have been appreciating how the market has grown exponentially here in the states. I remember the first LN I ever fully read was DanMachi Vol 1. So I am eager to see where things go from here.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Wow Devil is a Part-Timer finally ended? Maybe I should finally finish reading that!

*checks reactions to ending*

Woof, never mind.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Wow Devil is a Part-Timer finally ended? Maybe I should finally finish reading that!

*checks reactions to ending*

Woof, never mind.

There's still 3 volumes left to be released in English.

Also, I never understood the tantrum over the ending, those two were the canon pairing from the start. Even if you thought that all was ambivalent in the beginning, the latest volumes released in English make it pretty damn clear which way it is headed...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
People always get mad over pairings in LNs
They could instead get mad at the fact that Alas Rasmus never got animated. That's an outright anime crime.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah I just prefer my female love interests to be spoiler[smart, self-sufficient and equals to their male counterpart. That he ends up with the doormat girl instead leaves me a bit sad.] and I haven't read a volume in a while so no idea it was swinging that way, but considering how surprised nearly everyone is by the ending it might've not been broadcasted well enough.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
Kadokawa needs to stop pumping out a new 13 episode anime for every new isekai series and start reinvesting in their old ones. A lot of those series won't see the light of day again. They are oversaturating the market with too many series. Their becoming as abundant as Disney sitcoms. I wish things would even go back to the big 3 days with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece having filler.

There are so many new 13-episode anime series. New series should just be spin offs of an existing ones so it can boost the IP. Fate wouldn't be the anime franchise today without the spinoffs. Also make more video games for existing anime series.

Look at Date A Live for instance. Kadokawa did almost nothing to promote it after the movie, and the studio went bankrupt. The 3rd and Date A Bullet wouldn't have been made if there was no Date A Live Spirit Pledge. Even though Tachibana has started a new series, Date A Bullet is continuing and merchandise + game sales went up. Date A Live is technically not over sine they are still writing Date A Bullet light novels.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
#922163 wrote:
Kadokawa needs to stop pumping out a new 13 episode anime for every new isekai series and start reinvesting in their old ones. A lot of those series won't see the light of day again. They are oversaturating the market with too many series. Their becoming as abundant as Disney sitcoms. I wish things would even go back to the big 3 days with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece having filler.

There are so many new 13-episode anime series. New series should just be spin offs of an existing ones so it can boost the IP. Fate wouldn't be the anime franchise today without the spinoffs. Also make more video games for existing anime series.

Look at Date A Live for instance. Kadokawa did almost nothing to promote it after the movie, and the studio went bankrupt. The 3rd and Date A Bullet wouldn't have been made if there was no Date A Live Spirit Pledge. Even though Tachibana has started a new series, Date A Bullet is continuing and merchandise + game sales went up. Date A Live is technically not over sine they are still writing Date A Bullet light novels.

For them, TV series are just CMs for their novels, nothing else. It creates momentum for a title.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
People always get mad over pairings in LNs
They could instead get mad at the fact that Alas Rasmus never got animated. That's an outright anime crime.

Posts that aged well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2