• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The time has come to kick this thing off. Nominations have been heard, votes have been given, and the field is set. I hope everyone will have fun with this, it's going to take many months for us to get through this entire thing. I ask first and foremost everyone be civil and respectful. When making your arguments for or against a character in a matchup make sure all your comments are towards those characters, not the actual people participating in the tournament. I expect there will be some tough and heated debates with some of the matchups, but please remember to be respectful and civil to everyone playing. This is a game and supposed to be fun after all. Now onto the details.

If you couldn't tell already the topic for this tournament is who is the Biggest Anime Badass out of the characters nominated and voted on. We could probably do 2 or 3 of these and not use the same people. For those who may not have participated in our forum tournaments before, they are head-to-head single-elimination tournaments which generally use standard tournament brackets. Each round there will be a set of matchups. All you have to do is copy/paste the matchup, and then type out who is your pick to win that particular matchup. Initially for the first round in all 4 brackets justifications for your votes will not be required. They are greatly encouraged though even if it's just a brief sentence or two. Those reasonings can sway other voters who are undecided in a particular matchup. It's happened many times. The winners of the matchups will move on, while the losers will go home. The top seeded person in each bracket will always face the lowest seeded. So for example if we had A3, A10, A16, and A20 left it would be A3 vs A20 and A10 vs A16. This is the same for all 4 brackets (A-D). Don't worry, I will post each person's initial seed with their name for every round so you don't have to keep track.

The brackets continue until there is a single winner from each bracket (A-D). Those 4 finalists will meet in 2 head to head matches with the winners going on to the championship match. As the late Sean Connery said, "There can be only one!" With later rounds justifications for votes will become more of a mandatory thing. Just a few at first, but by the semi-final rounds and beyond each vote will need a justification behind it. That's down the road however. I did my best to try and keep multiple participants from a franchise in separate brackets.

Each Sunday at 10pm my time zone ( U.S. EST) voting ends. Then each week on Sunday night after voting has closed I will post the next set of brackets/matchups. Voting begins for the new set once it is Monday morning in your time zone. If once I post the matchups it is already Monday in your time zone (I live in the U.S. and EST so everyone knows) you may vote immediately if you wish. Just please everyone wait until Monday morning so people have a chance to look over the matchups. Plus if you rush and vote the first moment you can you then have spend the entire week sitting and waiting until the next set of matches. In the case of a tie BOTH characters will move on and the next match up will be a 3 way match. So using the above example if the matchups were A3 (5 votes) vs A20 (2 votes) and A10 (4 votes) vs A16 (4 votes) then the next matchup would be A3 vs A10 vs A16 in a 3 way match. This will be the way ties are handled throughout the entire tournament, even the finals if needed. People CAN change their votes if they so wish. Sometimes arguments might sway people to do so. Just make sure if you do change it you say so before that round is over. Also, this is important, you can only change each individual vote ONCE. So if you change your vote for a matchup you cannot then change it back. So make sure you are positive you wish to change your vote before saying so.

I will post mini-game results Monday or Tuesday depending on my personal life schedule, work, etc.

One last guidelines is each participant must vote for ALL matchups in a round. You cannot simply vote for a few. You must vote on all of them. If you're not familiar with characters in a matchup please refer to the nomination thread for why they were nominated, and by all means ask other participants for their thoughts. We'd all be happy to explain why we think "Person X" is a good person to vote for if you have questions.

With that last point being said nobody is required to vote in every bracket. Users are more than welcomed to simply vote in the brackets they are interested in, or have time for. With the guideline that you must vote for each matchup within that bracket. So if you want to participate but can't do it each week that is ok, we're happy just to have the extra participation when you can give it.

If you have any further questions ask below. If you want to know more about a character then refer to the Tournament Nomination thread right here. Each character has a photo and reason for nomination in that thread. And that should be everything. Let's all have some fun!!!!

I will post the first bracket tonight, a day early, just so people have a bit more time to look it over and see how they will be set up. Plus I have D&D tomorrow night and I will forget if I don't do it now lol.

Mini-game participants:

Final Scores:
Beltane70 - 216
Tony K - 216
Psycho 101 - 212
Calathan - 209
Sentire - 198
Hikari14 - 95
Unicorn_Blade - 26

Round 1 Results
Bracket A
Bracket B
Bracket C
Bracket D

Round 2 Results
Bracket A
Bracket B
Bracket C
Bracket D

Round 3 Results
Bracket A
Bracket B
Bracket C
Bracket D

Round 4 Results
Bracket A
Bracket B
Bracket C
Bracket D

Bracket Finals
Semi-Finals
Tournament Final Match

Runner's Up Bracket Results:

Bracket 1A
Bracket 1B
Bracket 1C
Bracket 1D
Bracket 1 Championship

Bracket 2A
Bracket 2B
Bracket 2C
Bracket 2D
Bracket 2 Championship

Runner's Up Final Match

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 pm; edited 32 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Tournament Start

Bracket A - Round 1

A1 Claire Stanfield vs. A34 Umibozu

A2 Balalaika vs. A33 Saki Asamiya

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada

A4 Balsa vs. A31 Busujima

A5 Riza Hawkeye vs. A30 Satoru Gojo

A6 Re-L Mayer vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi

A7 Guts vs. A28 Dio Brando

A8 Lancer (Cú Chulainn) vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya

A9 Alita vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra

A11 Alucard vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown

A12 Leon McNichols vs. A23 Bang (Silver Fang)

A13 Terry Bogard vs. A22 Isaac Netero

A14 Jubei Kibagami vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku vs. A20 Erza Scarlet

A16 Itachi Uchiha vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka

A17 Reiner Braun vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
As a tip while we are starting out the 2 easiest ways to vote are either list your vote for each match up in descending order. Such as:

Claire
Balalaika
"D"
Busujima

etc.....

Or post the matchups and BOLD your pick. Such as:

And so on. This way I know who you are voting for and don't tally your vote for the wrong person. I hope that makes sense. If you are providing reasoning for your pick you can put it next to or directly below the pick.

Balalaika - She's hot and scary.

or

Balalaika because she's hot and scary
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Umibozu has a much more badass appearance and Claire's personality comes across more like a psycho killer than a badass in my opinion. Umibozu also shrugs off an enormous amount of punishment and he's got piles of cool heavy weapons too? He wins.

Saki might be the O.G. delinquent schoolgirl gang leader but Balalaika is just too many steps ahead in nearly every department--crime boss, ex-military, smokes cigars...and yeah, she's hot. Give Saki a few years and she might catch up but not as things stand.

D takes this easily because of his appearance and his attitude. Sawada has badass powers and cool gadgets, but his lazy, wimpy, demeanor and his relatively plain appearance as a random schoolkid cost him this match.

Both are competent fighters but Busujima has swagger dialed up to 11 while Balsa does not. He also has a much more badass character design.

Gojo literally calls himself "the strongest" and nobody dares to challenge him, meanwhile Riza, while certainly a competent fighter, is more of a voice of reason than a fountain of attitude. Gojo has the more badass appearance as well.

Kuribayashi has plenty of guts but Re-L has the whole package.

Dio is powerful for sure, but to me he feels more like a psychopathic serial killer than he does a "Badass". And at the same time the often zany nature of his show makes it a bit difficult to take him so seriously even though he is very powerful. I'm giving this one to Guts for his more serious appearance and c'mon he has a literal cannon for a hand.

I really have to think hard about this one. I'm looking at these matches from three basic angles: prowess in a fight/ability to kick ass, character design and appearance, and finally attitude/swagger/etc. They both kick major ass though Lancer has literal magic powers while Gabimaru does not so I have to give Lancer the edge here. Character design is of course subjective but I rank scars, muscle jacket, and cybervisor over Lancer's more subdued design. In the end it comes down to attitude for me. Gabimaru has more grit and swagger.

This is another really hard one. They both kick major ass, one with cyber-strength and the other with his dragon power. They both have awesome character designs, and they both have quite a lot of attitude as well. As much as I love Alita and she's by far my favorite character of the two I think I'm going to have to vote Moutoku in a badass contest.

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra
If this were down to power alone Broly wins easily. And when he's gearing up for a fight he certainly oozes attitude, but looking at both series overall I have to say Cobra is the more consistent badass character.

Ains may very well be the more powerful of the two but he doesn't rock the attitude that Alucard does, and his character radiates "evil" more than it does "badass".

A12 Leon McNichol vs. A23 Bang (Silver Fang)
Honestly a hard choice since Bang kicks major ass, but I'm going with Leon here because Leon doesn't have superpowers to back up his machismo. It's like comparing Superman and Batman. Yeah, Superman is much more powerful but it's easy to fight crime when you are literally super. And as far as I know Bang isn't given to other baddass tropes like riding souped-up motorbikes or wearing sunglasses at night.

Another pair where both have excellent fighting ability but I have to give it to Terry for the swagger.

Jubei takes this easily in my opinion. He's perhaps the prototype of badass anime swordsmen, his wisecracking cynicism puts his attitude through the roof, and I take his character a lot more seriously than I do Kisuke's. An infamously brutal OVA is not a fair contest against a long-running shounen title with its inherent silliness. Kisuke is cool for sure, but he's no match for Jubei.

They both have great character designs and they both kick ass in a fight. But I see a lot more in-your-face attitude from Erza. She's not just a badass in a fight, she has that "come here and get some" attitude. Her background is also impressive having been orphaned and then enslaved but not letting any of that keep her down. Also I found Kyojuro quite creepy at times. There's something odd about his eyes which wierds me out. I watched about 30 min of various vids of him on youtube and I think I only saw him blink once.

Itachi can certainly fight and he is also one to be feared, but he's a rather cold and ruthless sort of character, and a lot of his exploits come from subversive or sneaky means. That makes perfect sense given that he's a ninja, but I don't see it as badass as Onizuka's in-your-face biker gang attitude.

Reiner might be nigh indestructible but in a "badass" contest he can't compete with Sanoske's single-minded determination, willpower, and brute force.

Edit: Cast my vote for Lancer vs. Gabimaru.
Edit 2: Cast my vote for Kyojuro vs. Erza.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I've not watched City Hunter to the point where Umibozu shows up, so while he looks like a badass, I'm giving the vote to Claire, who definitely seems like a badass to me.

Again, I've seen only one of the two anime, and Balalaika is definitely a badass, so I'm giving it to her.

Once again, I've only seen one of the shows, and in this case Sawada just doesn't look badass.

Finally one where I've seen both anime, but in this case one of them is something that I barely remember. Busujima and Psycho Diver: Soul Siren as a whole basically left no impression on me, so how badass can he be if I don't remember anything about him?

I haven't watched Jujutsu Kaisen yet, and I would consider Riza Hawkeye at least somewhat badass, so I'm giving her my vote.

I don't really think of Re-L Mayer as being all that badass, so I'm giving my vote to Shino.

Guts is basically the character who most comes to mind when you think "anime badass". Plus Dio makes the heroes fight their way through lots of his minions before he fights them himself, which detracts from his badassness in my book.

Yet again I've only seen one of the shows, and I've only seen a small part of the Fate franchise. I'm giving it to Lancer since Gabimaru looks a little comical to me.

I think Alita both acts like a badass and has a badass fighting style, so she gets my vote.

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra
I tend to think of Broly as mindless destruction, while Cobra has an actual badass attitude.

Alucard is a badass in terms of how he looks, how he acts, and how he thinks. Ains looks and sometimes acts like a badass, but he doesn't really have a badass mindset.

Bang acts more badass in my opinion. He has the kind of confident strength that I associate with a badass.

Netero is another character who I feel has the kind of confidence in his abilities that I associate with being a badass.

Urahara isn't really someone I think of as being badass. He's powerful, but doesn't really have a badass attitude in my opinion.

I don't really know anything about Kyojuro, but he looks more badass than Erza Scarlet.

While stoicism is something I normally would associate with being a badass, Itachi's behavior isn't really what I'd call badass. He more comes off as calculating than stoic. Onizuka certainly isn't stoic, but he does act like a badass whenever the situation calls for it.

Reiner is only badass in terms of his powers. Sanosuke at least acts like a badass.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
Am not familiar with either character, but Umibozu reminds me of Sgt. Slaughter.

Gritty Russian lady controls her own gang. I'm cool with that. She doesn't take shit from anybody, and even seems willing to kill her good acquaintances. Her militaristic maternal instinct is especially ferocious in protecting her comrades within Hotel Moscow.

Come on, he's the freaking son of Dracula! Thousands of years old, can walk in sunlight, seems to have know-how or some kind of little artifact to get him through situations. And he's always so calm in his demeanor. Nothing seems to rattle him. He's so soft-spoken, but probably much wiser than the sum of hundreds of philosophers combined. Tall, pale, handsome, quiet, and immortal.

Never finished the series, but Balsa was pretty cool. She kept that kid pretty safe, and rather resourcefully, up to where I stopped.

Gojo seems very confident in his ability to absolutely pummel his opponent, and in playful fashion, too. Riza seems pretty determined when she really puts her mind to it, but I think she's a little stiff and weighed down by her position as an officer, so I'd say she's got less swag (unlike Mustang). Gojo also seems to have a knack for reading his opponents and responding accordingly. I initially saw him as being slightly arrogant, but he definitely has the skills to back that cockiness. I am thoroughly convinced after a mere 6 episodes that he's not only a physical, but mental force to be reckoned with. The guy exudes pure formidability.

Haven't watched GATE, yet, so Re-L gets the default vote. In the beginning, she's a bit more gung ho and jumps into a few situations bullheadedly. But I feel her detective skills and ability to adapt to a lot of the crazy shit that happens to and around her, later in the series, helped her survive, an otherwise, weird turn of events with deranged androids, scary superhumans, and whacked out technology.

Voting Dio, just 'cause I'm sure Guts will win. But Dio's maniacal nature is nothing to slouch over. He manipulates, lies, and does whatever he can to achieve power and is willing to absolutely crush those in his way. Hell, I'd say he's colder and more sadistic than Griffith/Femto. The greed in him is on par with Guts' hatred, and I feel his pursuit for power slightly exceeds Guts' rage for vengeance.

Haven't seen Cyber City, so going with Lancer. He seems more sly and cocky, when you first meet him, but I think a lot of the servants have that ingrained into their personalities, since they're all heroic spirits of historical warriors. I believe the confidence and swagger are very apparent in the way he fights. He strikes hard, with precision, and always with the intent and determination to finish his opponent in that single blow. It's something you have to see to feel and believe. Animation wise, watch any scene of him from Unlimited Blade Works, it very much illustrates his demeanor.

I know Alita, but not the other guy.

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra
Broly is the big brooding type, but only through his physicality. Cobra is slick, smart, and suave. He's basically an anime Han Solo.

Ugh, I love both characters, but Jouji Nakata has the cooler voice. Bad luck 1st bracket for Ains-sama. I would put them on equal level in terms of power and abilities, and would even say Ains is smarter and more adaptable in an actual fight. But Alucard is Dracula, lord of the vampires, master of who knows how many dark arts! He could probably rule the world if Hellsing didn't put all those magical restrictions on him! He treats every thing and person in his way like an insignificant bug. But there's this underlying sense of nobility to his convictions, too. Ains is a thousand years too early!

Don't know Leon, so Bang gets the default vote. I will say Bang gives off that "old skillful sage" vibe. Even for an old guy, I feel like he's got other tricks up his sleeve for tough fights that we'll probably never see, 'cause there are so many other characters in that series.

As awesome as Chairman Netero was in the Chimera Ant arc, Terry has decades of video games and one of my favorite anime movies behind him. And honestly, Netero struck me as a guy at the end of his fighting career. Terry exudes that eternal "challenger" and "never give up" spirit you see in a lot of typical fighting game protagonists. I will give Terry the edge on this one.

Urahara has a cool mysterious vibe to him and the skills that certainly make him badass. But Jubei killed a bunch of overpowering demons with just his sword and a whole lotta grit. Many of those fights against the Eight Devils of Kimon surely would've killed any other man. And Jubei barely survived all of them!

Haven't read/watched Fairy Tail, so going with Kyoujuro. He seemed pretty determined in his convictions to slay demons from what little I've seen of him in the (Demon Slayer) anime series. Since it'll probably be a while till I can see the Mugen Train movie to further examine his character, I might just have to read ahead in the manga for that arc and see if he's as cool as I think he'll be.

Onizuka's will is unmatched. He overcomes a lot of crap to get things done. He walks the walk, talks the talk. If he says he'll do something, he does it. The amount of determination and belief he has for his students is exhilarating, hilarious, and heartwarming all at the same time. And when he's not being outrageously serious, he's a total over-the-top goofball, mooch, and pervert. He is the greatest teacher and friend anybody could ever have.

Another guy with really strong resolve who was initially misguided by the wrongs done to the Sekihou-tai that led to him fighting for himself. But after his encounter with Kenshin, Sano turns over a new leaf and fights for the sake of the Sekihou-tai and their beliefs. He hates liars and hypocrites, is quite stubborn, and, at times, may even be a little thickheaded. But he's as straightforward and forthcoming as they get. He absorbs hits rather than defends against them. But he will literally allow his own body to be battered or broken to get his point across.

EDIT: Fixed some wording and spelling.
EDIT 2: Added more details for some of my votes.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
Not gonna vote yet, as I do plan on winning that minigame, but here is a counter-argument on Reiner's behalf: Can Sanosuke shrug off the injuries that can kill a normal human? I haven't seen that anime, but I somehow doubt he could. Yes, attitude goes a long way, but attitude alone won't help when it comes to shrugging those off.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
The tournament is foremost about attitude and/or personality rather than physicality, powers, and skills. It's one character's aura vs. the other's. I think Renier is cool and all, but I could argue Sano's backstory, spirit, will, and determination with walls of text bigger than the Colossal Titan all day long.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The tournament is foremost about attitude and/or personality rather than physicality, powers, and skills. It's one character's aura vs. the other's. I think Renier is cool and all, but I could argue Sano's backstory, spirit, will, and determination with walls of text bigger than the Colossal Titan all day long.

You reasoning for voting for a character some matches are because of powers alone, rather than personality. So there is that, yo.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
True, but a lot of those nominations were just me trying to fill up the brackets. If this were about powers, Saitama would win in ridiculous fashion, and we wouldn't even need a tournament.

You're welcome to argue Reiner over Sano. But like I mentioned in the nominations, this will all come down to our knowledge of the characters, the lore of their respective franchises, and how eloquently we're gonna' be able to argue one character over the other Wink.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
For instance, Reiner isn't the Colossal Titan to begin with Laughing
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For instance, Reiner isn't the Colossal Titan to begin with Laughing

I know he's the Armored Titan. I'm saying I could argue points for Sano with walls of text as big as the Colossal Titan. Just trying to use metaphors, here >_>...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Not gonna vote yet, as I do plan on winning that minigame, but here is a counter-argument on Reiner's behalf: Can Sanosuke shrug off the injuries that can kill a normal human? I haven't seen that anime, but I somehow doubt he could. Yes, attitude goes a long way, but attitude alone won't help when it comes to shrugging those off.

For starters let me be clear this tournament is about fun. People are expected to be honest with their votes and vote for who they think is the best option in a matchup. If I think anyone is throwing votes just to get ahead I will step in. I just want to be clear with everyone now. We're going on the honor system here so don't abuse it. In year's past mini-game participants were required to post who they thought would win BEFORE the tournament began. Brackets would go up and they had to ahead of time pick who they thought would win. I'm making things easier this time around but it does mean people need to be honest with their votes. Please don't throw votes just to "win".

As for this particular matchup actually Sanosuke can shrug off damage. He is the fist to fist fighter in the group. Which in itself is badass as he always is ready to dive into a fight head on and first before anyone else. He doesn't care how strong his opponent is, he wades right in with the goal of winning the fight. As the series progresses he learns more and more techniques that help rise his prowess in fights. He learns how to shrug off damage and blows that would take down most normal fighters. He also learns a technique to "counter" damage to his body by attacking his own body. He hits in the opposite spot of his opponent to "cancel" out the energy of the blow so his body takes no damage. Basically punching the same spot but from the other direction so his energy cancels out the kinetic energy of the incoming attack. Obviously this is in real life utter bs, but this is not real life lol. Beyond his powers he also definitely has the swagger and attitude of a badass. He's boastful, cocky to a degree, throws himself right into a fight to protect others without a second thought, and never backs down.

Power wise sure Reiner would win. But again this isn't about power. Not solely anyways. I think the abilities, or power, of the character is only 1/2 of the equation. The other is about attitude, swagger, confidence, how they act in a situation, etc. I think it's HOW they use their powers that helps determine their badass ratio. In that matchup I would give it to Sano over Reiner. Once I get my votes up tomorrow or Wednesday I plan to vote for him over Reiner.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
And btw....a Sgt Slaughter reference Tony? Jesus you're showing your age man. Then again, so am I by getting it and having watched him lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21