• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think that even some of the blow outs are tough. I can see several, like Saeko, Genos, or Brandon Heat winning if they were pitted against someone else. They all just got bad luck in this round to go up against someone who simply does what they do even better.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I think that even some of the blow outs are tough. I can see several, like Saeko, Genos, or Brandon Heat winning if they were pitted against someone else. They all just got bad luck in this round to go up against someone who simply does what they do even better.

I remember that happening in the coolest character tournament where Cobra and D got pitted against each other in the first round with Cobra being knocked out 22-2 that first round. Hard to believe that tournament was ten years ago!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I spent the last couple days speed-watching a bunch of stuff in their entirety for character study (aside from City Hunter), hence the late reply. I have never seen any of these, so it was all new to me:

- Kurau Phantom Memory (TV)
- Doomed Megalopolis (OAV)
- Spriggan (movie)
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV)
- Bubblegum Crisis (OAV)
- Dimension W (TV)
- Bastard!! (OAV)
- City Hunter (TV) (just a handful of episodes)

Thought they were all Decent to Good, except for Madoka, gave that one an Excellent (so good!).

A lot of these arguments/reasonings I actually typed a few days ago, then saved as a draft, so I could watch these titles, then add more. I don't think I have it in me to try and speed-watch more for this round, as I have new and last season stuff to catch up on, and some episode reviews I wanna' do.

But hey, not bad to have watched all of this in a matter of hours.
----------------------------------

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B34 Keiko (Doomed Megalopolis)

Keiko was cool, from an abilities perspective. I mean, spoiler[ she was basically a goddess, anyway.] But I feel like there wasn't a whole lot behind her as a character. She just kinda' shows up, we know she's a miko, and then she happens to have the power to take down Bison, er.. Kato. Although, I feel she did it more so out of a sense of duty and with little to no beliefs or convictions from any kind of backstory.

Levi, on the other hand; he's got it all. We know he's a high-ranking officer, has leadership abilities, is super vindictive, and all while being raised by that piece of shit Kenny. When he fights a Titan, he's like a man possessed that's only focused on their complete and utter annihilation. Sure, he beat the shit out of Eren, but that was to save him (and use him). He may not be much of a people-person, but he's the best non-Titan card humanity's got next to Mikasa. And he does all of this with guts, purpose, a couple of swords, and regular ole ODM gear. Not bad for a human.

Speaking of which, below is a clip (running 2:35) of Levi and Mikasa trying to rescue Eren from the Female Titan. Obviously, Levi's skilled, but don't underestimate his tactical prowess, either. Feel the vibe, observe that aura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwrdQscU6M
----------

B2 Hei (Darker Than Black) vs. B33 Shoto Todoroki (My Hero Academia)

Have not seen MHA, yet, and didn't feel like I had time to watch as much as I needed to really understand Todoroki's character, so I will go with Hei (ironically, both anime are produced by Bones).

Although quite a bit happens in the plot to make Hei grow as a person, there's not as much about his motivations or convictions as a fighter. But he has this aura of ruthless determination whenever he goes Contractor.

For those unfamiliar with the series, a Contractor is basically a kind of super-powered mercenary/assassin that is, or was, part of a group called The Syndicate. And yes, it's as ambiguously cool and mysterious as it sounds.

Below is a clip (running 4:17) that I feel highlights his badass aura observation.

Conext: the other guy he's fighting, Wei, is also a Contractor whose ability allows him to make things dissolve with his own blood at the snap of his fingers. Hei can manipulate electricity. Don't wanna' bog you with plot details for this particular episode, but just observe the way Hei fights and acts through the end. It's pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7VTC_szRw
----------

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave)

Brandon is great in that he represents absolute loyalty as a friend. As Beyond the Grave, I feel he runs on a sub-conscious urge of vengeance for the betrayal he suffered at the hands of his best friend that made him into an undead Terminator. It's a cool and admirable kind of single-mindedness for each life he leads, but there's not much diversity in just loyalty and rage, and definitely no swag (he was too quiet as Brandon, and Beyond the Grave is basically a zombie).

Spike, on the other hand, oozes swag and personality. Like Lupin, Cobra, Ryo, and any other "cowboy" character you can equate him to, he's smart, witty, and adaptable. Will save more in-depth observations for later rounds.
----------

B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) vs. B31 Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh)

Black Lagoon is a series full of pirates, fiends, murderers, and degenerates. You think Rock, a former salaryman, was gonna' have a hard time living in that world? What about a woman? Well, Revy is just one of the many women in the franchise who've learned to conquer it. Sure, she's got anger and psychological issues. But what person living amongst that kind of scum and villainy wouldn't? You counter that crazy with your own crazy. I feel she does what she does to survive.

Fuse, though, is tragic. The whole allegory for that movie basically argued he was a wolf in human clothing. He had the chance to stop being a dog of the state, become human, run away, start a new life, and try to survive on his own. Instead, he chose to be a wolf, killed Red Riding Hood, and then was conflicted about it.

Revy is nuts, most definitely. But like I mentioned, the world of Black Lagoon is rough. Rough enough that good choices can't really be made. Fuse had a little more independence in his choice. I feel he chose wrong and, obviously, suffered for it. They are both survivors, but I feel Revy's choices are more out of necessity because the world she lives in is hopeless. Fuse had a very tiny glimmer of hope with Kei, but was the unfortunate victim of a militarized psyche and chose the easier path of survival. It takes more guts to live, than not.
----------

B5 Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. B30 Masamichi Fujisawa (El-Hazard)

Mustang is usually really calm, maybe even a little arrogant, in the way he carries himself. But much of it is a facade and hides the fact that he's quite fierce. As I mentioned in the nominations, he'll get especially angry when people mess with his friends. And as strict as he may seem doing his duties as a colonel, he definitely has the skills and demeanor to back it up. When he fights, I wouldn't even say it's any kind of swagger, as it's more so duty, or in a few cases, vengeance, that compels him to absolutely eradicate his opponent.

Below is a clip of Mustang vs. Lust (Episode 19; running 1:57).

Context: if you've seen the series, you know what Lust and Envy did to piss Mustang off, spoiler[ killed his best friend]. This is how part of it ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Nyb9kiZO0

And then there's Envy (Episode 53; running 7:43)

Context: Envy spoiler[ was the one who actually killed Hughes]. And then he messed with Riza. Big mistake. See how mad he gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEP9ketfA8
----------

B6 Char Aznable (Gundam) vs. B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter)

I love Gon. He's one of my favorite shounen main characters and is what I like to categorize as "pure." The pure types are bright-eyed, honest, optimistic, super hard-working, and tenacious in their craft, a la Goku, Naruto, Ippo, or Kazuma (from Yakitate!! Japan). And while pure types have very strong wills and resolve, there's a caveat that comes with being that pure.

Sure, they fight the big fights and overcome amazingly dire situations, but they're composed of all positive traits and zero negative ones. If you take a look at pure types, anger and sorrow are considered negatives. And when these pure types have something really traumatic happen to them, they go berserk. Goku went Super Saiyan, Naruto unleashed the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, and Gon transformed.

Do they kick ass in that state? Hell yes. But I would argue that, for pure types in particular, it's an act of desperation that totally goes against what their characters are and should not be considered "badass," as those moments are outliers and not consistent.

Their convictions are simple and uncomplicated: to get stronger and protect. But while admirable for their tenacity, they lack swagger (which I would say is a negative for them). That is the one literary flaw inherent with writing pure type characters, they lack negative things like pride, arrogance, swagger, etc. All of their success is dependent on positives, while the secondary protagonists or anti-heroes get some of the negatives (that usually results in swagger).

Char, though. Hoo boy. He's not pure, I can tell you that. I can't even categorize him; there's no single word to describe the magnitude of his prowess, convictions, and idealism. He is initially driven by vengeance in retaliation for the death of his father by the Zabi family, and he basically plays the long game to strategically kill everyone involved. After that, he develops the ideal that humanity sucks and that they should move to space to: 1) evolve, and 2) let Earth recover from all the crap humans have done to it.

There's much more subtlety to it, but I'm not about to go through decades of Gundam lore to put all that into a very large context. If you've seen any UC Gundam, you know what makes him cool. Just understand he's the most popular character in the franchise's very long history for a reason.
----------

B7 Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) vs. B28 Edmond Dantes (Gankutsuou)

After finally watching BGC (OVA), I have to say it's really stylish. It's got that borderline feeling between late 80's camp and early '90s explicitness. The production for the series itself has a very good balance of fun, sleek, sexy, and violent. I just didn't feel any of the characters were particularly badass. Or that is to say, I guess I've seen better.

Then again, I feel Edmond is essentially another version of Char Aznable. I also feel vengeance is one of the most powerful emotions that can drive a person. Okay, sure, it's not the same as the book. In the anime, Edmond is actually possessed by a space demon. But I feel the same allegory applies in that they were trying illustrate just how far off the deep end vengeance can take a man; so far, that it created another personality, of sorts. And like Char, it was one of those long-game traps, which I find more admirable than just jumping into a fight with guns blazing and trying to survive it.
----------

B8 Archer (Emiya) (Fate franchise) vs. B27 Nicholas Wolfwood (Trigun)

This is actually gonna' be a long argument against Archer, now that I've read a bunch about his very convoluted backstory and convictions.

If you read my argument about Gon being a pure type, Shirou is the exact same way. Alright, this is kind of weird, but yes Shirou is Archer from an alternate future. The thing with Shirou is that he starts out a pure type protagonist. But somewhere way down the line, he became a hero, stopped being pure, and then there's a bunch of hoopla with magical contracts that allowed him to become a type of Heroic Spirit, and hence he was summoned into the Holy Grail War as the Archer servant.

I'm really paraphrasing this, but essentially: when trying to become a hero he had the bright-eyed idea of "justice" and thought he could save everyone. After realizing he couldn't, he made a pact thinking he'd gain the ability to, at least, save more. Well, he could save more, but at the expense of killing, which he didn't like. The pact, however, had a kind of spiritual loophole that allowed him to exist, even after the death of his physical body, and still let him carry out the duties as a spirit.

Here's where it gets tricky: to void the pact he made (and avoid more of the killing), his plan was to have himself summoned to when Shirou still existed, where he would then kill Shirou and create a time paradox and erase his existence. But because of various events and interactions, Archer dies (heroically and sacrificially) and Shirou lives. However, as a result from said events and the relation that develops between Shirou and Rin, Archer's convictions are renewed in the afterlife.

That being said, there's obviously some back-and-forth hypocrisy and wavering convictions, especially when the guy even went to such lengths to off himself in the past. As I mentioned, pure types have that inherent fault of zero negative traits, but this just takes it to a whole new level. I guess you could argue he was so pure, he wanted to fix his mistake in a bad way.

And then you have Wolfwood. Surely less complicated as a character, and not even a hero, really. He did bad things to get where he was, but then he tried to turn it around. Atonement is probably the most noble thing you can do in that situation. But at least he's not time-traveling to kill himself.
----------

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) vs. B26 Kurau (Kurau Phantom Memory)

I watched Kurau and thought it was Good. And then I found out it was from the same the director as FMA: Brotherhood. Not sure how the Elric Brothers didn't win that Best Duo tourney, given the lengths they went to 1) bring their family back together (though with disastrous initial results), but then 2) redeem themselves in a glorious and epic story filled with government conspiracy, intrigue, and other crazy plot elements.

I felt Kurau and Christmas' relation was more the result of happenstance because of how Rynax's work and naturally exist as binary pairs. I understand it was an allegory for sibling and/or familial bond, but because they have to exist in pairs, I feel it's a bit inorganic and forced, as opposed to "hey, I have a brother/mother/etc., let's take care of each other." And the more I think about it, now, the siblings in Kurau were "running away from the fire" to live a normal life, while the Elrics were running towards it for theirs; way more grit and dire stakes for the Elrics, by far, just fix their mistake and to psychically be together, again.

Kurau's determination to protect her sister was admirable, but lemme' tell you why I won't give her my vote.

After trying to look up clips of Hiko, I realized something in this scene from the Tsuioku-hen OVA. That Hiten Mitsurugi's purpose isn't to just physically beat opponents with its swordsmanship, it's an ideology to inspire with belief.

It inspired Kenshin to fight for the Imperialists as a teenager, well before he finished training. It inspired Fuji (the giant guy from the Kyoto arc) to fight for himself and not under the thumb of that annoying scientist guy that was controlling him. And most importantly, while training for the last time (also during the Kyoto arc), it inspired Kenshin to fight for the will to live (which was the final missing piece he needed to master the ultimate technique) and not think of his past sins as Hitokiri Battousai as what defined him.

Hiko Seijuro isn't just a man who's really good with a sword. He's also a philosopher with the power to influence, which I feel is greater than any physical attribute or superpower in this tournament. Ironically, it's very much the same thing as Char, and both voices are played by Shuichi Ikeda; go figure. That guy's really good at playing philosophical leaders.

And if you take Hiten Mitsurugi's philosophical purpose into context, you could also say it's what makes Kenshin so inspiring to everyone else he comes into contact with: Kaoru, Yahiko, Sano, Megumi, Aoshi (much later), heck, probably even Tomoe. But I ain't about to start a Kenshin dissertation. That will get its own thread filled with episode reviews and fanciful wording Anime catgrin.
----------

B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan)

Way too little screen time for Jean to show anything other than his skills as a soldier. Vegeta has so much more backstory and character development throughout the franchise. This is no contest.
----------

B11 Genos (One Punch Man) vs. B24 Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

Both are cyborgs, and both are quite determined. The huge difference is experience. Genos is kinda' angry and out for revenge, but bullheadedly jumps into a lot of big fights, then sometimes gets beaten because of it. Kusanagi is smarter, wiser, and years more advanced as a person and tactician. I really like Genos' determination, but he's a rookie compared to The Major.
----------

B12 Tomoe Mami (Madoka Magica) vs. B23 Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)

Another case of too little screen time. Even as a top tier magical girl, letting her guard down so easily was stupid. Felt more like a plot device to escalate Sayaka's role. I've only seen about 20 episodes of Soul Eater, and it's been years since I stopped. But Maka seems more developed as a character, even to the point of where I stopped.
----------

B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) vs. B22 Byakuya Kikuchi (Bleach)

Thought Bastard!! was gonna' be more of a dark fantasy genre, but it was sooo campy, ecchi, and full of fan service, it really detracted from any kind of seriousness it was trying establish. Some cool plot elements were there, but I just couldn't get over a lot of the fluff. Byakuya's, at least, serious all the time.
----------

B14 Shinobu Kocho (Demon Slayer) vs. B21 Escanor (7 Deadly Sins)

Shinobu has this weird kind of giddiness. But like all Hashira in that Demon Slayer Corps, they're eccentric in their own way. Her sister was killed by Demons, so I sense there's this underlying feeling of vengeance that keeps her going. And I like vengeance.
----------

B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W) vs. B20 Saeko Busujima (High School of the Dead)

HSotD is so superficial, yet stylish. But Kyouma, at least, has a little bit of drive to him as a character.
----------

B16 Yomiko Readman (Miss Paper) (R.O.D.) vs. B19 Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)

Like Gon, Yomiko is pure; no swag. Ryo is pure cowboy.
----------
B17 Father Anderson (Hellsing) vs. B18 Leone (Akame ga Kill)

Good matchup, in that pretty much every member of Night Raid is almost like a religious zealot for their beliefs to vindictively eradicate their targets. But I feel Anderson embodies that zealotry way better than even the most extreme member of Night Raid. "Aaa~mennn~!"
----------

Ugh, so much time put into this. I need to stick to more reading character profiles and less watching the anime. Although, I guess I can say I've seen more, now..
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I actually almost changed my mind on my B14 Shinobu Kocho vs 21 Escanor vote after talking to a coworker that was familiar with both characters, but ultimately kept my original vote after he changed his own mind after thinking about it further.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Still a few more hours to go. I'll go add Tony's votes to the totals up above.

Edit: Votes are added in. Btw Tony, think of this as a big version of the preview guide, helping you to find new (to you) series to watch lol.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
And voting is now closed for round 1 of Bracket B. I will post the results below. The new bracket will be up momentarily.

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 4 vs. B34 Keiko (Doomed Megalopolis) 2

B2 Hei (Darker Than Black) 6 vs. B33 Shoto Todoroki (My Hero Academia) 0

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) 6 vs. B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave) 0

B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) 5 vs. B31 Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh) 1

B5 Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) 6 vs. B30 Masamichi Fujisawa (El-Hazard) 0

B6 Char Aznable (Gundam) 6 vs. B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter) 0

B7 Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) 4 vs. B28 Edmond Dantes (Gankutsuou) 2

B8 Archer(Emiya) (Fate franchise) 0 vs. B27 Nicholas Wolfwood (Trigun) 6

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) 4 vs. B26 Kurau (Kurau Phantom Memory) 2

B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) 6 vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan) 0

B11 Genos (One Punch Man) 0 vs. B24 Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell) 6

B12 Tomoe Mami (Madoka Magica) 2 vs. B23 Maka Albarn (Soul Eater) 4

B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) 4 vs. B22 Byakuya Kikuchi (Bleach) 2

B14 Shinobu Kocho (Demon Slayer) 2 vs. B21 Escanor (7 Deadly Sins) 4

B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W) 6 vs. B20 Saeko Busujima (High School of the Dead) 0

B16 Yomiko Readman (The Paper) (R.O.D.)0 vs. B19 Ryo Saeba (City Hunter) 6

B17 Father Anderson (Hellsing) 4 vs. B18 Leone (Akame ga Kill) 2
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
Here is the opening round of matchups for Bracket C.

C1 Deunan Knute (Appleseed) vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life)

C2 Kei (Dirty Pair) vs. C33 Liavelt Neuestein (Galaxy Fraulein Yuna)

C3 Ozen (Made in Abyss) vs. C32 Sylia Stingray (Bubblegum Crisis)

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol)

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C30 Ladd Russo (Baccano)

C6 Vash the Stampede (Trigun) vs. C29 Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats)

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X)

C8 Wolfgang Grimmer (Monster) vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece)

C9 Arataka Reigen (Mob Psycho 100) vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise)

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) vs. C25 Yu Ominae (Spriggan)

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell)

C12 Izumi Curtis (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo)

C13 Giyu Tomioka (Demon Slayer) vs. C22 All Might (My Hero Academia)

C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke) vs. C21 Ban Mido (Getbackers)

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) vs. C20 Nancy Makuhari (Miss Deep) (Read or Die)

C16 Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)

C17 Perfect Cell (Dragonball franchise) vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
Right out of the gate there are 2 matchups I want to personally get out and promote. Those 2 matchups being C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell) & C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke) vs. C21 Ban Mido (Getbackers). Both feature characters I would guess many don't know much about.

First up is Lind. Yes Oh My Goddess (tv series went by Ah My Goddess) was a slice of life romcom. However, there were a decent amount of battles between the goddesses and demons. Other battles are eluded to between them throughout the series. Lind happens to be the most fearsome warrior among the Valkyries. They are the combat goddesses in essence. She is the most capable of them all. Beyond that though she is very calculating, astute, does not simply rush in nor act without thinking. She exudes that badass aura in a very collected manner. She also trains relentlessly to be better and protect others better as her role of a Valkyrie.

One particular badass feat of hers is she is the ONLY goddess to have 2 angels within her. Not even the shows MC Belldandy can claim that. Technically Bell does have 2 within for a short period, but it is not permanent. With Lind it is. The amount of willpower, dedication, and fortitude to carry 2 angels is astounding, and a feat only she can do. She spends much of the time with only one of them and wonders why her angel is different. So she trains harder to try and show she is capable. Once she learns to accept who she is she summons the other half of her angel. Thus making her the only Goddess in the show to have 2 angels inside them acting as one. She also goes toe to toe with the top demon and Queen of Hell, Hild. Another feat very few can claim they have done.

There's not much in the way of clips of her as the series is older, and she wasn't one of the 3 core MC's. Here's one that kind of shows a bit of her power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_U6NhE6Jjg&t=30s

I love Batou, and he's a great foil for the Major. The thing is I feel this is another situation for me of one character having badass moments (Batou), and another that just exudes it on a daily basis all the time (Lind). I think it's a closer matchup then others, but I still feel Lind simply exudes that badass aura on a much more constant basis than Batou. He's great, she's just a little bit better.

The other character I wanted to mention is Ban Mido. Getbackers is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. It's basically a mix of wacky comedy hijinks, slice of life, and some shonen level battles. It's a real shame the series never got more episodes to flesh out the tower of babylon parts of the manga. Or that the manga never got finished either. I digress.

Ban is one of the MC's and along with Ginji get into all sorts of trouble and misadventures in their retrieval service. And along the way fight countless battles. They come off as less then capable and rather baffoonish. Ban is also a wanna be ladies man. However both of them are putting up a facade to hide their true powers and personality. While they are both incredibly powerful, Ban is the more calculating and badass of the pair in my opinion. It's in the way he wiels his power and the cockiness he has when he lets his true power come out. He has 2 unique techniques, the evil eye and the snakebite. His primary technique is the Evil Eye which allows him to force anyone he makes eye contact with watch a one-minute-long illusion. While the illusion only lasts for one minute, should Ban will it, the one affected by the Jagan can be placed inside a time-warp zone via the illusion created by the technique, meaning that to them, one minute in real life could last up to several hours in the Jagan's influence. His second ability is the Snakebite attack. He possesses incredible superhuman strength, which gives him a gripping force of 200 kilograms in each hand. Ban can also augment the strength of his Snakebite by reciting a certain chant. He also studied numerous fighting techniques from all over making him one of the most powerful and capable fighters in the series. Again, this isn't about power alone, but his badass aura comes out in spades during fights when he lets his pwoers come out.

He also studied numerous other subjects like science, history, music, and art as well. So despite his baffoonish exterior he is very smart which to me throws another notch on the badass belt. He knows he's strong. He knows he's smart. Yet he chooses to hide it most of the time which to me is badass in of itself as he doesn't need to parade around with what he can do. The second one shows a glimpse of his cockiness in battle and true power.

A few examples of his powers and bad assery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVdSjphjWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8YeSIH7shk

I think for me it comes down to Ban exudes that badass aura all the time, where as Lady Eboshi has badass moments. Don't get me wrong, she's quite capable, calculating, and has that badass I believe in my skills mentality. So does Ban though, and to a higher level.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
I also want to endores a character, but just one as opposed to two. And that character is Fisher Tiger. Well, let me explain exactly why he is a badass.

First off, he has enough conviction to do what he thinks is right, and will do it too, no matter who opposes him. The result? He climbed the mountain which is freakishly tall, with his bare hands. Why? To break into the heart of the world's power and free his people who were enslaved. But he didn't stop there. He freed everyone who was enslaved. Everyone. The four of them were among the people he freed, and they would have saved him in turn if they were able to at the time.

But I digress. It doesn't stop there. The girl in the second picture above was reunited with him four years after he freed her, with a request to bring her home. Now, he could have refused to do so, but he did not. He decided to go out of his way to bring her home. During the journey, he did his best to break her out of her slave mindset that she still had, even resorting to extreme measures.

This decision led to his death, but even when his death was imminent, he still remained stoic and still believed in his ideals. He even refused the very thing that could have saved his life because it would mean that he would owe his life to the very people who oppressed him and his people. In a way, it was his last act of defiance against the cruel world he lived in.

And even after his death, his ideals still lived on through the people he had inspired throughout his life, including most of his crew and the girl he had saved.

Now, I know that main characters of One Piece are unmatchable badasses, but of the non-Strawhats, Fisher Tiger stands above the rest in terms of badassery.

And to round this up, here are some clips that showcase all of this, because clips speak louder than words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7bz-RAi-Sg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmgTnXDI7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5JJdvHvrgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwcR_R2160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mulEVIm4pU

Vote for him!

Last edited by Hikari14 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
And here are my votes for this round

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to post my initial votes that I have figured out for now. I'll come back and edit this like last round once I make up my mind on other votes. Gotta research more and see what others have to say. So far this is the hardest round for me determining who to vote for.

My vote for Deunan comes down to something that was said about another match up below. That Rally exudes more of the badass aura then Vash, and the fact is she does it while being completely human with no powers amps it up. The same applies here. Yes Deunan is well TRAINED, like Rally, but they are not super human. I do think Inui is a badass in his own right (his look after the surgery certainly pushes that image), but I think Deunan has the same "level" of badassery. The fact she does it without a gun for her head, or super pwoers, makes her badassery shine that much more. I will say if you go by just the original OAV you might not thing that way. The later OVA's/Alpha Movie really hepl showcase her badassery and skills far more. It becomes basically her vs super enhanced AI's, robotic armies, and such. Not to mention when she later has to deal with Briareos himself when he's infected by a computer virus. The fact is she is surrounded by AI's, cyborgs, and super enhanced people. Yet she routinely is the one who manages to take down those very over powered (compared to her) enemies. She also doesn't hesitate to rush into danger and often has a bit of a smirk as if she knows she can handle the situation. Think of her as having The Major's skills, but while being mostly human like Togusa.

I read the thoughts of others and considered switching my vote. I think what it comes down to for me is the swagger. Liavelt is certainly more powerful, and she definitely is a badass. At times. I think Kei simply has that badass aura and mentality going far more often than Liavelt does. I'm not saying it doesn't lead to issues, but this isn't the Most Powerful or Most Skilled characters. If it was either Liavelt would get my vote. In terms of being a badass though Kei simply turns on the dial more than Liavelt does.

I think Sylia deserves far more credit than I gave her initially. Upon reflection she does ooze that sort of stylish badass aura. That cocky and confidant aura. Like walking into a CEO boardroom as a newbie and telling all the old timers this is how shit will run now. Like Rin in Kill Bill sort of. Then she has the skills to back it up. That being said, Ozen simply OOZES a badass and imposing aura. Her look, her demeanor, he power, it all just screams I will F you up if you cross me. I mean surviving in the Abyss for as long as she is takes some grit and tenacity to say the least. She doesn't even do much in the show and yet we all wait while holding our breath to see what she will do or say. That is some serious badass aura there. So while I think Sylia definitely deserves more props then she probably has gotten thus far, she's just simply outmatched. She probably could've won in many other matchups.

Both are very much a badass, albeit in different ways. What pushes Mikasa over the top for me is the manner in which she displays it. She will face any titan and refuses to abandon her comrades. She and Levi have to have the skills and swagger and aura to do the things they do when compared to the powers of the human titans. They can fight on the same level as Eren while being human. Sergei is simply outmatched in this one.

Integra Hellsing is one of the pinnacle examples of badass swagger and attitude. I mean the sheer balls she has when talking with Alucard. Yea he swore to serve her, as he did her father, but common. Nobody orders him around or commands his respect the way she does. Plus in every situation she walks in like she owns the room. "I" am the one in charge, so shut up and sit down and maybe I'll have my vampire OG save your ass. Even how she dresses and her mannerisms scream I am in charge. She also reminds me of this clip from Family Guy when Cleveland mentions Margaret Thatcher. Coincidentally also British.

Much as I said above in the Deunan matchup I think this is a case where the one character has more power and certainly has badass moments (Vash), but their opposition (Rally) simply exudes that badass aura and mentality far more. It's in how she dresses, walks/talks, and goes about doing her job. Her car is a dream car I'd give my left kidney for. Well maybe not....but then again....Vash is certainly badass, when he wants to be. He hides it most of the time. And how he uses his powers is badass, especially in the context of not taking a life but still completing contracts, missions, etc. The thing is Rally just has that badass meter on most of the time. The fact she does it without powers says something about her tenacity. And again...she drives a freaking 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. The only more badass and iconic car in that "line" so to speak is the Shelby GT itself. The only car I'd want more than either of them is the GOAT. But now I am off topic lol.

Take Integra, make her go Super Saiyan with the badass aura, and voila you have Kenpachi. I mean he literally exudes a badass aura in the show. His baddassry and power and control is all that keeps him actually under control. He's like Bleach's version of The Hulk....My secret is I'm always angry.

Grimmer's smile and normal happy demeanor do hide a more ruthless badass side of him. However, after watching clips and reading reasonings, he just doesn't quite stack up to Fisher. I think part of what pushes Fisher over for me is the attitude of how he does what he thinks is best, everything else be damned. It's pretty badass in my book to do that and simply deal with whatever consequences might occur. Plus he does exude that badass aura more than Grimmer does. Not that it is a requirement to win, but it does help if you have 2 people with more equal levels. Who shows it more? Who hides it more? I think it's just more natural for Fisher.

I was tempted to vote for Kiritsugu as he certainly displays a badass aura throughout the Fate Zero series. I think what made me opt for Reigen was his sheer audacity. I mean the cohones this guy has to go with his badass attitude is damn near legendary.

I gotta give it to my man Yu on this one. Jin has that cold, calculating, calm badass aura in spades. I see Yu as a lot like Mugen in terms of attitude and swagger. They're more in your face about it. I think both Jin and Yu have an equal level of badassery respectively, but since Yu let's it shine more I gotta give him my vote.

I already posted quite enough on why Lind should win this one lol.

This is the hardest match up for me honestly. I have them on equal footing, though for different reasons. One common factor is that they both act as mentors to others despite their own struggles and aspirations. I think the struggles Izumi has gone through and her will to move past them and keep going forward nudge her over Takamura slightly.

Another tough one. In many Ways All Might is another example of the hero MC of a shonen show where the supporting cast is more badass. However on a closer look I think that belittles his badass aura. If we look at him just through his Hero days then yea, not really that badass in terms of aura or swagger. Power sure, but that's it. I think as his powers and body are failing his constant drive to keep being a hero are badass. How he trains Midoriya and gives him his power. He might only have a handful of truly badass moments after starting to tech Midoriya, but they are so epic in scale it pushes him over. I mean his fights with Nomu and All For One are just badassery on full display. For me it's not just his power, it's how he uses it in those moments despite knowing what it means for him. That indomitable will to not give up. Plus as a hero he did have swagger. I think he doesn't have a badass aura all the time and as naturally as others in this tournament, but enough to win this round and maybe 1 more.

Much like with Lind I clearly made my thoughts know already.

Miss Deep is definitely more of a badass than Yomiko, but she's an amateur in badassery compared to Nicolas. That smirk, that battle lust smile, that swagger of his.....he's certainly got the cocky badass aura to him and the swagger. Plus the skills to back it up.

This to me is a case of both characters being absolutely badass in a fight, but one of them carrying around that badass aura and swagger more outside of battle. Which gives Jotaro the edge.

Honestly I don't think Homura is really that badass in terms of attitude. She has a cold and collected attitude about her, but I see it more as just that, cold and calculating. Not bad ass. Her skills are certainly badass, as is her work to make her own wish happen. She has grit and determination in spades. Then again, I feel so does Cell. Yes he was created to be the perfect being. It's his heritage and purpose. As he evolves though by absorbing the other 2 androids he grows more cocky and his swagger levels go up. He could blow up the planet with a snap of his fingers. Yet because he is such a braggart and has so much swagger he instead decides to hold a martial arts tournament for all to see. That way he can crush their spirits first, then blow them all to hell. He wants to beat Goku in front of everyone and make clear he is in fact, perfect. That's some swagger there.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
I must admit I've only ever seen the original Appleseed OVA from 1988 but I found it and its characters entirely forgettable despite the fact that I love Cyberpunk shows from that era. I have not seen all of No Guns Life thus far, but what I have seen is easily enough to have me vote for Juzo. His character design alone is enough to give him the win here though I'm not sure how far it will carry him in the tournament. I do intend to check out some of the later Appleseed content this week though, so I may end up changing my vote.

This is a hard one. Kei is certainly the muscle of the Lovely Angels, she's got a shoot first ask questions later mentality, and I think her 80's character design is certainly awesome too. No doubt she's a badass. But the fact that her missions usually end up with disaster of some kind cost her some points in my mind. Lia doesn't have quite the same level of aggressive personality but I think she wins in nearly every other category. She has vast super powers including superhuman strength and speed, the ability to fire energy blasts, and the ability to teleport to anywhere in the galaxy at will. She is, after all, a literal superheroine (both in real life, and she plays one on TV). And while she is technically a supporting character she is clearly the leader of the protagonists as the MCs are, shall we say, a bit ditzy. I'll probably make a follow-up post in the next day or so summarizing a bit of information about her and the series as this is an older one which doesn't have much information available for it online.

Man oh man, this is another really hard one. Ozen has an incredibly badass aura about her. I think it really speaks to the storytelling quality of Made in Abyss as we really don't see her do much--and the only fight we see her in is really a training battle--yet her character is so very imposing. Sylia does not have that same kind of imposing aura, not by a long shot. But I think she has an incredible style all her own. Like Tony mentioned in his votes for the previous bracket Bubblegum Crisis is incredibly stylish in general, and I think Sylia epitomizes that. Her fashion is amazing without coming across as being over-the-top. She's easily the smartest of the bunch and is an expert tactician. Her car is about as cool as it gets. And despite all that she's right there in the thick of combat as well. I think it's worth pointing out that while Priss may be the main muscle of the Knight Sabers, Priss fights with ranged weapons. Sylia sometimes uses a ranged energy weapon in her hardsuit's hand but most of the time she dishes out punishment with a blade. She has a pretty incredible amount of grit and style.

Wow, another really hard one. Mikasa, in my opinion, kicks the most ass out of the main cast of Attack on Titan. In the previous brackets when AoT characters came up I didn't feel so bad about down-voting them because I thought to myself that I'd likely end up voting for her when her turn came. Now I'm not so sure. She certainly can fight the good fight, but then again she has the advantage of her bloodline. And I also find that she's a bit lacking in conviction. She has no real motivation of her own after graduating at the top of her class in the training corps, instead choosing to follow Eren. On the other hand Sergei is perhaps the character that first comes to mind when I think "unstoppable juggernaut" in anime. He is the very definition of a stone cold badass. He rocks a badass image with his black suit and long grey hair. He is prodigiously strong and can take an immense amount of punishment, and yet he never lets his emotions get the better of him. He's an unstoppable emotionless terminator. And while there are a lot of strong-and-tough characters in this tournament nearly all of them come from shows where there many if not most of the main characters have some kind of supernatural ability, exceptional talent, cybernetics, etc. Aside from the titular character Key the Metal Idol has none of that. It's a show that takes itself very seriously and the cast is all normal people. There aren't a whole mess of powered-up fighters, space aliens, magic-users, superheroes, combat cyborgs, pilots with hi-tech mecha suits, etc. It's all very down to earth and serious. Thus Sergei's incredible strength and toughness are all the more significant given that background. KtMI is not what I would call an action show either, but this fight sequence from the end of the 6th episode and beginning of the 7th really shows what I mean, and keep in mind that it's much more impactful when you've watched the prior episodes which build up to it. Oh, and just before the events shown below Sergei fought an out-of-control robot and won, so he's already taken a beating before what we see happen next.
https://youtu.be/xZJgGj0HyN4?t=1165
https://youtu.be/VXldQP7MdoA?t=128

As with Claire Stanfield I get more of a psychopathic vibe from Ladd than I do a badass one. Integra, on the other hand, has none of that. She's calm, collected, and businesslike nearly all the time. She's also fearless, remaining cool and in control even when seeing all sorts of horrible things happen in front of her, or when facing incredibly powerful supernatural beings. She also kicks ass with a sword and handguns as well so she's no slouch in a fight either.

Vash is no doubt a badass. He may act silly a lot of the time but it's mostly an act. I can't recall the episode by number or name, but in one episode there is a quick-draw duel contest and Vash is revealed to be tossing small bits of gravel with such accuracy that he manages to deflect the bullets and thereby reduce the number of fatalities. That scene is one of the first glimpses we get of Vash's incredible skill. But at the same time I can't help but think that Vash's silly demeanor costs him a great deal in the badass competition--while he certainly is a badass he rarely acts like one--and I also feel that the show is very heavy-handed with Vash's desire to not kill anyone. We got that the first time, no need to beat that dead horse again and again. Rally doesn't have Vash's bordering-on-supernatural talents but she does have a much more serious badass aura, and the fact that she's not superhuman makes it all the more powerful.

Wow, another hard one. This bracket is easily the hardest to decide thus far. So here we have a combat badass versus a brutal, ruthless tactician. While I take Shagia's character design a lot more seriously than Mr Spiky Hair, I'm giving this to Kenpachi because Shagia is a lot more underhanded and seems to care little about killing his allies just as much as his enemies, and that's not very badass.

I gave up on One Piece after about 20 episodes in many many years ago. But Hikari14 makes a strong case for Fisher Tiger here.

Arataka just doesn't come across as a badass to me. I see him as an overly emotive, manipulative, con artist.

Another hard decision here. Both are very competent combatants, but Jin has a particular swagger that Yu does not have.

I love Oh My Goddess, especially the first OVA. And Lind is certainly a cool character and she certainly kicks ass in a fight. In fact I think OMG has a variety of good fight scenes in it despite it being mainly a romcom. But I don't think Lind is anywhere near as baddass in terms of swagger and image than Batou. Batou is deadly serious nearly all the time, his cybernetic eyes give him an especially badass appearance, and he's also a very capable character on many levels, being both a badass in combat as well as a master when it comes to intel as well. These clips from GitS 2: Innocence show what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI-ASO-ypxk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuL8cVxXMA

Mamoru has a lot grit and determination. He's arrogant, cocky, and he's a pretty good boxer too, so one would think that he'd be a shoe-in for a "badass" contest. Yet for whatever reason I just don't get that much of a badass vibe from him. Izumi kicks a lot of ass both with martial arts and with alchemy. I also really like her principled nature, not wanting to use alchemy unless it's for something that cannot be done without it. She certainly puts off a great "don't mess with me" vibe as well.

I was tempted to give this to Giyu because of his amazing swordsmanship but All Might just has a more badass image, and he's also a massive inspiration to a lot of others which I think counts for a lot.

Eboshi is certainly a badass in her own right but she really can't compete with Ban here who Psycho already covered in detail.

What is it with this bracket and really hard choices? Both of these characters look and act badass. I especially like how Nancy manages to find little moments to "pose for the camera" from time to time. This honestly could have been a coin-flip but I'm going to give it to Nicolas for his tendency to toy with his opponents before finally taking them out; that kind of confidence gives him a slight edge.

Kakashi has badass ninja skills to say the least but his apathetic attitude costs him a lot of points in my book. Jotaro has that badass delinquent swagger and he's also amazingly powerful in a fight as well. I'm giving this to Jotaro.

This is a no contest if you ask me. Perfect Cell is certainly awesome but he cannot hold a candle to Homura. What I find most impressive about Homura is her determination. Her magical powers are limited to her ability to reset time and to store objects in her shield. Unlike the other characters in Madoka Magica we can clearly see that she doesn't have any sort of supernatural fighting ability--in fact, far from it, as she has to use guns and explosives because she has no magic combat skills. All of her exploits come from sheer determination, having repeated the same events over and over again in her quest to save Madoka. Perfect Cell is awesome, but that's what one expects from a bio-android who was created to be the ultimate fighter. Homura has no special combat powers but manages to kick ass by virtue of sheer determination and practice. And as I stated when I nominated her, let's not forget about the hair flips. Homura has a swagger all her own.
Here is an epic battle between Homura and Mami which I also posted for the previous bracket. It's cool enough to watch again. But this time note that while Mami is using her magic to fight, the only magic Homura is doing is to stop time and pull guns out of her shield. Her gunfighting is not magical, it's just plain skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVi_fs2oz3E

Edit: Added votes for Mikasa vs. Sergei and Integra Hellsing vs. Ladd Russo
Edit 2: Added a few more missing votes.
Edit 3: forgot to bold one of my votes, added a little more text here and there.
Edit 4: completed all the outstanding votes

Last edited by AkumaChef on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I have a few still that I am pondering which I marked as TBD and I haven't commented on all my votes (may add later).

Ozen just oozes badass. Smile Attitude, strength, experience, fierceness, etc. Sylia also has a cold, calm demeanor… but I’m going with Ozen in this matchup.

Sergei is very strong and has the total badass attitude down pat. Yet, Mikasa has a grit and steely resolve that gives her a little more depth in the ‘badass department’ - so she gets my vote.

I think Ladd’s mental issues sort of blind me from seeing him as badass rather than just a pyschopath. My vote goes for Integra.

I feel like this one has been the toughest matchup so far! It almost was a coin toss with me.

Kenpachi has a presence that emanates badass. It’s a combination of his physicality, mental fortitude, attitude and actions.

I like Batou and he is tough - but I don’t immediately think ‘badass’. I’m not sure why or how to explain. Maybe because he is in the shadow of the Major?

These two are opposite ends of the badass spectrum. I keep going back and forth on this and changed my vote twice already during this edit!

Edited to make my final votes.

Last edited by Sentire on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Here are my votes for this round. By the way, I'm not planning to skip any votes even when I'm not familiar with one of the characters, since the fun in the game comes from choosing one to vote for.

I've not seen No Guns Life, and Deunan is fairly badass, so I'm giving him my vote.

It's been a long time since I watched Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, but I don't really remember any of the characters seeming that badass. For most of them, it felt like we didn't really get to know much about them. So I'm basically giving this to Kei by default.

Ozen is extremely badass in my opinion, so she gets my vote.

Sergei is more of a typical badass, but I'm definitely more impressed with Mikasa taking on the titans in Attack on Titan than anything Sergei does. Basically, fighting giant monsters without flinching is more badass in my opinion.

This is a close one in my mind, but I'm giving it to Integra since I think she acts more badass while Ladd Russo more comes off as just insane.

This is a close one to me only because Vash acts like a goofball much of the time, which isn't really a badass way to act. But he certainly acts like a badass when the situation calls for it, and overall I find him more badass than Rally Vincent.

I've not seen Gundam X, and Kenpachi Zaraki is definitely a badass, so he gets my vote.

These two characters are difficult to compare because their shows are so different, but I'm giving my vote to Fisher Tiger. He seems like a total badass in all respects.

I wouldn't really think of Reigen as that much of a badass, but I've not seen enough of the Fate franchise to really want to vote for Kiritsugu.

Jin is pretty badass, and as I said in a previous round the Spriggan characters weren't very memorable.

I don't remember Lind being all that badass in my opinion, while Batou is generally pretty badass.

I've not seen Hajime no Ippo, and while I expect it has a bunch of badass characters, I'm giving my vote to Izumi Curtis. She is definitely pretty badass.

I've watched about 2 episodes of Demon Slayer, so I don't think I know enough about most of the characters to say if they are badasses. But All Might is definitely very badass, so he gets my vote.

Lady Eboshi is very badass, being willing to take on anyone be it gods, humans, animals or whoever in order to protect her town and help it prosper. Ban on the other hand didn't really come off as that badass to me most of the time. I know he was hiding his true strength, but still after watching his show I didn't really come away with an impression of him as a badass.

In this case I've giving my vote to Nicolas Brown just on how he looks, since I didn't really find Nancy all that badass, and Nicolas certainly looks badass. I've not seen his show though.

Jotaro is one of the more badass characters in a show full of badass characters. While Kakashi has strong combat skills and is able to remain calm in the face of danger, I think Jotaro beats him out for badassness in almost every way.

This one is a little hard for me to decide since I don't think I would have thought of either character as being a badass, but I definitely see how they could be called one now that it is pointed out. I'm giving my vote to Homura since I think Cell mainly acts tough not because he is brave, but because he is more powerful than the other characters at the time. Homura has a mental toughness that I think Cell lacks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 21