• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
C1 Deunan Knute (Appleseed) vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life)
I loved Juzo's mind over matter attitude no matter the situation, he always did what was right even at his own expense.

C2 Kei (Dirty Pair) vs. C33 Liavelt Neuestein (Galaxy Fraulein Yuna)
I am unfamiliar with one so this get's my vote.

C3 Ozen (Made in Abyss) vs. C32 Sylia Stingray (Bubblegum Crisis)
Anyone that can spend extended time in the Abyss wins imo.

C4 Mikasa Ackerman(Attack on Titan) vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol)
Maybe she just is more recent in my mind, but she gets my vote here between these two.

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C30 Ladd Russo (Baccano)
Ahhh, Integra, you cool yet completely in control of any room you're in woman, You win hands down against Ladd who is more simply violent.

C6 Vash the Stampede (Trigun) vs. C29 Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats)
While some may say he's too goofy, his shenanigans are for a reason usually and only add to how lowkey bad-ass he is.

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X)
this one was sort of a toss up.

C8 Wolfgang Grimmer (Monster) vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece)
I never watched One Piece yet someone else's fervor made me choose it over the one I did know Wink

C9 Arataka Reigen (Mob Psycho 100) vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise)
I almost went the other way, then I thought by golly, Reigen has bigger balls than anyone in a certain respect, and I guess that's pretty bad-ass in it's own right.

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) vs. C25 Yu Ominae (Spriggan)
this one could have gone either way for me...

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. C24Batou (Ghost in the Shell)
sorry, I can't vote for Oh My Goddess for a best bad-ass character...and Batou is just the sort of hard-boiled guy you'd describe as bad-ass

C12 Izumi Curtis (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo)
This is a hard match up! They are both great in their own way, but I'm giving a slight edge to Mamoru Takamura. (I loved both shows)

C13 Giyu Tomioka (Demon Slayer) vs. C22 All Might (My Hero Academia)
another difficult choice...and simply because he inspired more people over the years to achieve more I'll give the edge to All Might.

C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke) vs. C21 Ban Mido (Getbackers)
I'm not sure how far Ban will make it, but I feel he has the edge over Lady Eboshi at least.

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) vs. C20 Nancy Makuhari (Miss Deep) (Read or Die)
this one could have went either way.

C16 Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)
How unfair to have some of these so early...loved both characters, both fit the description, but Jotaro fit's it better I think. Better than a literal ninja? And an elite ninja at that? Ugh, I may be re-thinking this one.

C17 Perfect Cell (Dragonball franchise) vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica)
I've simply chose the one I was more familiar with

Clearly I'm open to changing my mind on some, I'll check back and read others thoughts...
Also, I'd always thought I watched a LOT of anime, but there were several here I hadn't seen which really surprised me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Tomorrow I plan to update my post. Been watching some video clips and reading thoughts of others. Got most of my TBD matches figured out.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I've made two updates to my votes for this bracket so far.
I'm expecting to finalize them later today.

This bracket has had some really hard choices in it!
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've got all my votes updated. As I said before this bracket had some really hard choices in it, I'm interested in seeing how the next bracket works out because so far the hard choices have become more and more numerous with each new bracket.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Here are the votes as of my post, and the few missing a vote have an asterisk by them.

C1 Deunan Knute (Appleseed) 5 vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life) 2

C2 Kei (Dirty Pair) 5 vs. C33 Liavelt Neuestein (Galaxy Fraulein Yuna) 2

C3 Ozen (Made in Abyss) 6 vs. C32 Sylia Stingray (Bubblegum Crisis) 1

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 6 vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol) 1

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 7 vs. C30 Ladd Russo (Baccano) 0

C6 Vash the Stampede (Trigun) 4 vs. C29 Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats) 3

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) 7 vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X) 0

C8 Wolfgang Grimmer (Monster) 0 vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece) 7

C9 Arataka Reigen (Mob Psycho 100) 3 vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise) 4

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) 6 vs. C25 Yu Ominae (Spriggan)1

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) 3 vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell) 4

C12 Izumi Curtis (Fullmetal Alchemist) 5 vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo) 2

C13 Giyu Tomioka (Demon Slayer) 1 vs. C22 All Might (My Hero Academia) 6

C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke) 3 vs. C21 Ban Mido (Getbackers) 4

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) 7 vs. C20 Nancy Makuhari (Miss Deep) (Read or Die) 0

C16 Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) 4 vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 3

C17 Perfect Cell (Dragonball franchise) 1 vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) 6

EDIT: Missing votes added in. sure hope we get another set of votes as we've got a few ties sitting there.

2nd edit - Beltane's votes added in.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
Finally putting my picks up for this round!

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol)

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell)

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, another last-minute vote. I should probably just post the ones I know I'll vote for, first, watch the research stuff, after, then post an update after watching said stuff, last. Speed-watched all these the last few days:

Appleseed (OAV)
Appleseed Alpha (movie)
Appleseed XIII (TV)
Gunsmith Cats (OAV)
No Guns Life (TV) (both seasons)
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna (OAV) (both)
Key the Metal Idol (OAV)
Ah! My Goddess (OAV)

Here are my votes:

Being a Masamune Shirow creation, I was expecting Deunan to be like Kusanagi, but she's way watered down in comparison. I saw the '04 and Ex Machina a while back and liked those. The original OVA was alright, though pretty short. Action in the Alpha movie was good, but the CG felt out of place. And then XIII looked so bad, it really detracted from the story for me, so yuck to that one. Deunan is okay, but I feel she's missing a little extra something to make her a higher-tier character.

Really liked No Guns. Juzo struck me as a hard-boiled, ex-war vet, and gritty detective type of character. I actually felt he was like a combination of both Duenan's determination and the look of Briareos, but turned up several notches. And I still can't get over that gun-for-a-head design. I liked that show way more than the Appleseed stuff I watched.
----------

Have not seen Dirty Pair, but I did not like Yuna. It's so campy and cheesy, but in a distracting way. I couldn't take any of it seriously till the last episode when anything actually mattered.
----------

----------

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol)

Sergei was a good villain, but I didn't feel much for his motivations. Mikasa is protective, vindictive, and fierce. I also feel she's fighting for a nobler cause.
----------

----------

Gunsmith was fun, but I feel Rally's actions and motivations are more so a result of the plot, things going to shit, and her just trying to survive. Vash's willingness to not kill anyone, while still managing to beat them up, is astounding. He and Kenshin would be a fun matchup.
----------

----------

As much as I love Monster and respect Grimmer, he's another one of those characters that's a by-product of the story. From what I read on here and other places about Tiger, his story is way more epic in proportion.
----------

Kiritsugu is very badass. But I think a lot of that emanates from his skill a fighter. If you break him down as a character, his ideals are admirable, but I don't feel he's super motivated for what he's doing in the Holy Grail war. It's just a sense of duty ingrained in him from his profession, which I feel gives him less swag.

Reigen, on the other hand, has no powers. He's the ultimate con-man and punk-out artist whose demeanor is driven by pure confidence and positivity. I feel like he could sell you the crappiest looking tree in a forest because of some mumbo jumbo excuse about how the leaf that grew on it blew away last fall and landed in your yard, miles away, and has good feng shui.
----------

----------

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell)

Actually didn't make it to the TV series. I watched the OVA, first, to act as a primer, but was put off by the harem element, so I didn't go any further. Juzo actually reminds me a lot of Batou, and I feel they have those same gritty characteristics. S1, E10 of Stand Alone Complex where he hunts down that serial killer is one of my favorite episodes of that whole series.
----------

I feel like this is bad matchup because FMA is so mainstream and that hardly any anime fans like sports titles, let alone one about boxing. I should've made a whole endorsement post for Takamura, as he's a total badass in terms of skill and conviction (undefeated champion in multiple weight classes). I guess I'll save that for Sendou (somebody from Ippo should make it deep!).

But here's a clip of Takamura, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IRRtc9okc4

Izumi is cool, but I feel she runs more on mentor and maternal instinct rather than an indomitable I'm-gonna-beat-you-to-a-bloody-pulp-because-I'm-the-champion mentality.
----------

Not enough of Tomioka, so I'll go with All Might, even though I've still yet to see the show.
----------

Saw about half of GetBackers years ago, was a pretty decent shounen series. Haven't seen a single Ghibli movie (yet).
----------

I hear Gangsta is a good show. R.O.D. is fun, too. But I actually just flipped a coin.
----------

Jotaro is my favorite Jojo. But it's also been years since I watched/read Naruto, so I don't remember much about Kakashi other than the Sharingan (never got that far past the Sasuke Retrieval arc to find out more about him).
----------

Akemi goes to very great lengths to do what she did in the series. That's super commendable. And while Cell is my favorite villain out of the entirety of the DB franchise, Akemi's Groundhog Day thing is way cooler.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
I had a funeral to go to yesterday, and had some company over tonight as I needed something positive. It's now almost 1am, so the next bracket will go up late tomorrow morning. Pardon the slight delay. I will extend voting until the next bracket is up tomorrow in case there are any more late voters out there. I will also post cumlative mini game results through this round.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
With Tony's votes added in here are the final scores for the matchups:

C1 Deunan Knute (Appleseed) 5 vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life) 3

C2 Kei (Dirty Pair) 6 vs. C33 Liavelt Neuestein (Galaxy Fraulein Yuna) 2

C3 Ozen (Made in Abyss) 7 vs. C32 Sylia Stingray (Bubblegum Crisis) 1

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 7 vs. C31 Sergei (Key the Metal Idol) 1

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 8 vs. C30 Ladd Russo (Baccano) 0

C6 Vash the Stampede (Trigun) 5 vs. C29 Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats) 3

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) 8 vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X) 0

C8 Wolfgang Grimmer (Monster) 0 vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece) 8

C9 Arataka Reigen (Mob Psycho 100) 4 vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise) 4 - TIE

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) 7 vs. C25 Yu Ominae (Spriggan)1

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) 3 vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell) 5

C12 Izumi Curtis (Fullmetal Alchemist) 5 vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo) 3

C13 Giyu Tomioka (Demon Slayer) 1 vs. C22 All Might (My Hero Academia) 7

C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke) 3 vs. C21 Ban Mido (Getbackers) 5

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) 8 vs. C20 Nancy Makuhari (Miss Deep) (Read or Die) 0

C16 Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) 5 vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 3

C17 Perfect Cell (Dragonball franchise) 1 vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) 7

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Here is the opening round of matchups for Bracket D. As you can see there are 2 series with multiple people in this bracket. As I said previously, I tried to do my best to keep characters split up based on the series and their own individual seeding, but by the time I got to this last bracket there was no way past it.

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D34 Shion Yauoka (Shion no Ou)

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) vs. D33 Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star)

D3 Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill) vs. D32 Fuji Yakumo (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon)

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D31 Isamu Dyson (Macross Plus)

D5 Teresa (Claymore) vs. D30 Shinya Kougami (Psycho Pass)

D6 Harlock (Captain Harlock) vs. D29 Io Fleming (Gundamn Thunderbolt)

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

D8 Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter) vs. D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon)

D9 Takeshi Sendou (Hajime no Ippo) vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara)

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) vs. D25 Toshio Ozaki (Shiki)

D11 Metal Bat (One Punch Man) vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece)

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D23 Ippo Makunouchi (Hajime no Ippo)

D13 Sesshoumaru (Inu Yasha) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)

D14 Naomi Armitage (Armitage III) vs. D21 Eijiro Kirishima (My Hero Academia)

D15 Rory Mercury (Gate) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin)

D16 Chane Laforet (Baccano) vs. D19 Haruke Tenou (Sailor Uranus) (Sailor Moon franchise)

D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) vs. D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100)

Edit: And through the first 3 rounds here are the mini game scores totaled up.

Beltane70 - 45
Calathan - 44
Tony K - 43
Psycho 101 - 42
Sentire - 39
Hikari14 - 24
Key - 14
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I gotta' get this endorsement in, early, so somebody from Ippo actually advances.

Takeshi Sendou. Hailing from Osaka and to the nickname "Naniwa Tiger" (Naniwa is the gym name), Sendou is probably the 2nd most ferocious boxer in the series that I've seen next to Takamura.

He started as the West Japan Rookie Champion and would later fight the East Japan rookie champ, Ippo. It's a pretty tough fight that Ippo barely won only because at the end of a round, Sendou sat down in his corner and lost consciousness with his eyes still open (Ippo had landed a lucky shot to his temple during said round).

The Featherweight Championship (Sendou and Ippo's weight class) would be relinquished by the champ, at the time, Eiji Date, who wanted to defend his title one more time before taking a shot at the World title. Date beat Ippo, so the vacant title came down to a match between Sendou and Russian boxer Alexander Volg Zangief. Sendou defeats Volg, becoming champion, but then eventually loses to Ippo in another title match down the road.

However, during one of Sendou's title defenses, he fought another boxer, Akira Shigeta, who made the mistake of being a little too cocky and trying to get under Sendou's skin. Below is a clip of most of that match (running 15 min.; raise the speed, if you're on a time crunch). It's a longer clip, but it visually sets up the match, Sendou's tenacity, and Shigeta's arrogance, then absolutely illustrates Sendou's ferocity and badass aura observation. I also think it's ironic that he's voiced by Onosaka Masaya, who plays Vash in Trigun, and Sendou is a complete opposite, personality-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duM3apskeHA

But hey, Sendou also likes to fight strong opponents, in general. When he first went to meet Ippo during the All Japan Rookie King Tournament, he ended up sparring with Takamura who's six classes above him. So here's that sparring match for fun (running 2:42).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAsUQc3GlzI

Vote Sendou!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't manage my time as well as I had planned, but I speed-watched:

Gate (TV)
3x3 Eyes (OAV)
Macross Plus: Movie Edition (movie)
Armitage III (OAV)
Armitage Dual-Matrix (movie)
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt (ONA)
Shion no Ou (TV)

----------

Shion's a prodigy and a genius, for sure, but given her circumstances and all, she definitely doesn't have swag.
----------

I find cowboy characters will always have more guts and moxie than the old sage mentors. As cool as Jiraiya is, I will go with Gene.
----------

D3 Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill) vs. D32 Fuji Yakumo (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon)

I've only seen a handful of episodes of KlK years ago. But Yakumo's brazen willingness to throw himself into everything is pretty noble, even if this abilities were just happenstance.
----------

Actually the first time I ever finished Macross Plus. Awesome animation, but kind of a weird mix of melodrama. Not that I expect a lot of people to compete with Kenshiro.
----------

Kougami is a gritty and resourceful person, but he doesn't quite have the swag and charisma that Teresa does.
----------

I've only seen bits and pieces of Harlock, but Io seems like another one of those "story by-product protagonists." A lot of Thunderbolt seems to run on a general sense of "the pointlessness of war," and doesn't really make the characters feel all that developed.
----------

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

I actually re-read some of the Basilisk manga. And as much as I like Gennousuke, the number of characters in that franchise detract from his development just a tad too much. Given how badass he was before he went blind and how well he handled himself afterward, he's still very impressive. But I feel young Joseph showed a bit more grit in his arc.
----------

D8 Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter) vs. D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon)

Didn't really think Pai was that cool. Way too lovie-dovie in the 2nd half of that series. Hisoka, as crazy as he is, has that overwhelming aura of bloodlust. It's creepy, yet strangely admirable.
----------

See endorsement post above.
----------

----------

----------

Again, Ippo is a pure character. Pure protagonists are resilient, tenacious, and very, very strong, but they don't have negative traits like killer instinct or swagger. And Roberta, along with a good majority of the characters in Black Lagoon, have a ton of negative traits.
----------

I actually have only seen the first season of YYH years ago. But like I said, most shounen main characters are too pure. Sesshoumaru is a straight-up anti-hero.
----------

Didn't like the eventual melodrama of Armitage, but she showed a good amount of grit and determination, so I guess that's enough. Still have yet to watch MHA, but will probably try to this coming week.
----------

As much as I enjoy Gate as show, overall, I feel some of Rory's sentiment and kindness detract from her convictions. Saitou is a relentless hard-ass, though, so I'll take him.
----------

D16 Chane Laforet (Baccano) vs. D19 Haruke Tenou (Sailor Uranus) (Sailor Moon franchise)

Haven't seen either. Coin flip.
----------

D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) vs. D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100)

Mob is too pure. I mean, he even has a gauge for negative traits. Nanashi is a soft R-rated Jubei Kibagami.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I think Shion's dedication to finding her father's murderer to be impressive but this is a flat-out no contest, Kamina oozes swagger and badassery.

Jiraiya is cool, don't get me wrong. But he's also laid back, doesn't seem to take things too seriously, and a bit comical: his long-winded fight introductions are a bit silly, as is behavior when someone interrupts them. He's wise and jolly, but he's not that badass in my opinion. On the other hand I think there are few characters in this tournament who are a match for Gene. He's got more cowboy attitude than Spike Spiegel, his swagger is off the charts, and he's a badass in combat as well, both with guns and with spaceships that fight hand-to-hand. You can't tell me that's not awesome. If you're not familiar with Gene just go watch the first episode of Outlaw Star. That one episode is enough.

Hard choice. But I'm giving this to Fuji because of his incredible determination. Both of the characters here have some supernatural ability. Ryuko is simply superhuman. She's faster and stronger than normal people. She also has her life fibers, Senketsu, and her magical scissor blade. The only thing supernatural about Fuji Yakumo is that as long as Pai is alive he cannot die. As he himself states: he's not any stronger than he was before, he still feels pain, and he's still afraid of heights. It's not that he's infinitely tough either--he sustains injuries just like a normal person--it's just that he will regenerate and heal after the injury. Meanwhile every one of the antagonists he faces is far more powerful than he is, both physically and often in terms of magic powers. His main antagonist, Benares, can quite literally smash him like a cockroach. His whole life gets turned upside down: some of his friends are now afraid of him. Others abandon him. He has to quit school. Yet despite all this he never gives up on protecting the girl he loves and their quest to become human once again. He's been beaten in every savage way imaginable, electrocuted, blown up, shot repeatedly, smashed by cars, run over by a bus, been torn apart limb-from limb, eaten alive by demons, etc, and yet he never gives up. There is a scene in which he is being controlled by a demon trying to force him to sacrifice one of his friends to an evil god. He solves this problem by chopping off his own hand so he can no longer wield the sacrificial blade. If that sort of dedication isn't badass I don't know what is. "Never give up" is a common theme in anime but nobody demonstrates that better than Yakumo, IMHO.

I agonized over this one so long I ended up flipping a coin and Isamu won. I honestly couldn't decide. Kenshiro is an amazing fighter who stands up for the weak and oppressed and lets his fists do the talking. Psycho nailed it with his nomination: if you looked up machismo in the dictionary you'd see Kenshiro's picture. A combination of Bruce Lee and Mad Max? He's nearly impossible to beat. But Isamu is no slouch. He's a fighter jock who pilots the latest and greatest experimental mechs. He's got dreams of flying in space, doesn't back down from a fight be it with fists or with mecha, and he oozes machismo as well whether he's fighting opponents bigger than him, seducing the ladies or dissing the nerds in his experimental squadron. He also symbolizes the triumph of human determination and spirit over cold, calculating computer AI. I'd be happy with either character winning this match.

I really loved the first season of Psycho-Pass, but Shinya didn't really seem all that exceptional to me. Yeah he has grit and swagger and yeah he's competent in combat, but he really doesn't stand out to me among countless other characters on a similar level from a variety of shows. Teresa is more of the standout in this match.

Fleming is cool, but Harlock is perhaps the O.G. anime badass.

Gennosuke certainly looks badass, and he can certainly kick ass in a fight, but I have to give this to Joseph because of attitude. Gennosuke's constant desire to reduce bloodshed is admirable but it's not really all that badass. His Dōjutsu ability is cool, but badass is not a term I'd pick to describe it. On the other hand Joseph is hot-headed, aggressive, and loves to taunt his enemies. He has a lot more swagger. And he certainly can kick ass in a fight too.

Hisoka is a murderous psychopathic sadist. That's not very badass at all. Pai (at times, due to her split personality) is the most powerful being on earth and she knows it. She has a cocky arrogant attitude towards her enemies because she knows that nobody--neither human nor demon--poses much of a threat to her. She blasts her opponents into obvlion with nothing more than a snazzy hand gesture.

Tony covered Takeshi well.

Toshio just didn't seem like that much of a badass to me while Mugen certainly is. I also give Mugen points for his unique fighting style and fashion sense. His haphazard breakdancing-influenced fighting and hip-hop inspired clothing is great, combine that with his loyalty to his friends and his hatred of authority and he's a badass for sure, one that really stands out compared to the more typical samurai character Jin. He has a really unique attitude that really makes him stand out.

Metal Bat has more grit than a sandpaper factory, and I also take his character a lot more seriously than I do Zoro's. One Piece has a lot of cool characters in it, but it also has so many silly elements to it that it's difficult to take as seriously.

I agree with Tony on this one.

I remember Yu Yu Hashuko from the early days of my anime fandom as it was one of the few titles available at the local Blockbuster video along with other classics of the day like Project A-Ko and Yurusai Yatsura. But I don't remember thinking that Yusuke was much of a badass, while Sesshomaru certainly is.

Naomi Armitage is a powerful combat cyborg like the Major from Ghost in the Shell--except with a hell of a lot more attitude and swagger.

At first I was thinking this was going to be a hard one to decide but the more I think about it the more I think it's actually rather one-sided. Yes, Saito is an amazing combatant and he radiates an aura of confidence and skill. But I think that Rory wins in every category, combat skill included. People fear fighting Saito but many fight him and survive. Nobody survives a fight with Rory. Saito has a moral code, yes, but Rory does as well, and she does a much more eloquent job explaining it. It's interesting to see her character develop the father into GATE you get. At first she just seems like a silly trope with over-the-top powers. Yet you soon find that she has a lot of wisdom and insight as well; I think that really pushes her beyond just being a super-powered fighter.
Rory's fighting skill and swagger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvxqxa34caE
Rory's skill with words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovD2S2wIxg
A few quotes:
Quote:
More than anyone else, humanity is a species which looks forward to tomorrow. Because of their dreams they can bear with the unjustness of the present.

Quote:
Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death you must therefore honor life.

Quote:
Some questions with no answers cannot be answered even by those who live forever. Yet, the absence of a correct answer does not mean the question cannot be answered. If you want to know how I felt about the complete ban on some culture and art that I could not understand, was not interested in, or could not accept, in the name of preventing the violations of others’ rights or other trumped up charges, I believe that would be taking us onto the road of discriminating against others. If we define culture as that which is healthy or humane, and defend that decision in the name of justice, once any part of that system collapses, it will cause an unimaginable number of problems for society. For instance, if I drew a line in the middle and erased one side, the next day, a new line will appear in the middle of the side that is left. I think suppressing the instincts and thoughts of the human spirit is bad. The desire for purity and wholesomeness, when taken to an extreme, is harmful.

Finally a character from Baccano that I'm not writing off as a psychopath! And she kicks ass! That said, I think Sailor Uranus is more badass; perhaps because she gets much more screentime than Chane does?

Mob just doesn't give me that "badass" vibe, especially because a lot of what he does is the direct result of Arataka manipulating him into doing it. Nanashi is certainly a badass, both having overcome his tragic past and demonstrating awesome skills in his final duel with Luo-Lang.

Edit 1: Added some missing votes
Edit 2: Elaborated a little here and there
Edit 3: More elaboration, completed my votes.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D34 Shion Yasuoka (Shion no Ou)
Even though she'll lose by default, I am sticking with my daughter through it all.

Voting against the creep.

Most of the other votes are because I know those characters better.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be getting my votes up tomorrow. Well, most of them. There's not nearly as much indecision for me in this round compared to last round. That being said I am a bit wishy washy on some of the votes and might be swayed later to change them depending what other people post. Or if my mood changes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 21