• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
Overall great tournament! Thanks for your hard work on thi, Psycho!

I was surprised that Nanashi did so well too! I hadn't seen Gangsta before this tournament but like I posted way back at the beginning I don't think it's right to cast a vote involving a character that I know nothing about, so learned about him when I was doing my research and I ended up voting him over some of my own nominations and now I'm most of the way through the show, which I'm really enjoying. In a way I'm surprised that Ryo Saeba didn't make it as far, but then again I think that City Hunter may not be as well known to American fans even though it's a massive franchise in Japan. I'm also surprised Gabimaru Rikiya didn't do as well either but it's also a lesser-known show (which ironically got a new video release after he lost in the first round!)
My biggest surprises were that Junpei (ninja scroll) and Dark Schneider (Bastard!) didn't make it all that far as I think they are both iconic anime badasses but then again they are both from older shows that many fans may not be familiar with. I'm also surprised that Gene Starwind and Isamu Dyson didn't do as well as they did--though they both lost to the eventual runner-up of the tournament and Junpei lost to the champion so that's totally fair.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
What really sucks is like within the first month of the tournament I thought of no less then another 2 dozen characters to nominate. "Why didn't I nominate him/her?!" There's only 1 or 2 I think realistically could've gotten to the bracket finals or overall semi-finals, but earlier rounds could've been far different. I half expect that if we sat down and thought about it we could do a version 2.0 of this tournament with all different characters lol.

Speaking of another tournament, if people want another I am up for running another. I definitely need 1 or 2 months off being in the middle of moving. Between car shopping and house shopping and boxing stuff up the last few months were unexpectedly busy for me. So I figure it's best to curb the next one, if people want it, until I'm moved. Get that headache out of the way. Plus it gives us time to simply discuss what the topic could be for the next one if people wanted another.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Even as a participant, a one to two month break between tournaments is a really sound idea. Good luck with your move, Psycho!
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
What really sucks is like within the first month of the tournament I thought of no less then another 2 dozen characters to nominate. "Why didn't I nominate him/her?!" There's only 1 or 2 I think realistically could've gotten to the bracket finals or overall semi-finals, but earlier rounds could've been far different. I half expect that if we sat down and thought about it we could do a version 2.0 of this tournament with all different characters lol.

I must admit I thought the exact same things. The 2.0 version of the tournament is a neat thought. Perhaps allow some of the characters from the previous tournament but exclude anyone who made it very far, plus allow new submissions? Another thought I had was to go with a different tournament style. Perhaps make the early brackets double-elimination? Or a point based preliminary system: Every character has the same fixed number of random prelim matches regardless of win or lose, then the top 16 or 32 or however many characters by prelim W/L record make it into an elimination style bracket? Either of those systems would prevent an interesting character who might have made it far in the tournament to have been unluckily eliminated early on just because they happened to be seeded against the eventual champion.

Quote:
Speaking of another tournament, if people want another I am up for running another. I definitely need 1 or 2 months off being in the middle of moving. Between car shopping and house shopping and boxing stuff up the last few months were unexpectedly busy for me. So I figure it's best to curb the next one, if people want it, until I'm moved. Get that headache out of the way. Plus it gives us time to simply discuss what the topic could be for the next one if people wanted another.

I'd be down for another tournament, whether it was Baddass 2.0 or it was something else. One idea that was kicking around my head was "pluckiest kouhai". Another thought was to have a competition among "teams" or groups of characters. One might ask which group of characters kicks the most ass. Is it Section 9? The Sailor Scouts? Ninja Team 7? Tenchi Misaki & harem? The five from Gundam Wing?, etc. And certainly take all the time you need to get things sorted out, I think we all could use a break anyway.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
So after joining in spradically and crashing out halfway through, this was really fun to read a month after the tournament ended!

Would love to take part properly if this is ever organised again- especially over summer holidays when work won't be ruining my focus.
If something shorter was foreseen, double thumbs up. I just dont thin kI have the same attention span as I used to have 10+ years ago when I first joined the forum, these days I need a reminder on my phone about stuff like that! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21