• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Aside from those 4 you mentioned and Log Horizon, what shows are you including as isekai? There are other LN fantasy shows airing, but it doesn’t seem like those are isekai from their descriptions.

otherside picnic, boonies,redo of healer, hidden dungeon.

while making this list, i indeed noticed the huge amount of idol shows.
also, its very difficult to separate isekai from fantasy nowadays, especially because some isekai disguissed themselves as fantasy shows but in some point we learn isekaied people do exist, and yet one of the ones i am counting as isekai is actually a time travel story, completely disguised as an isekai.

Boonies and Hidden Dungeon are not isekai. They're just straight fantasy.

Otherside Picnic is a borderline case for counting, as is Combatants Will Be Dispatched!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Although this light novel adaptation probably technically qualifies as an isekai story, it is not a traditional one in concept.

Well, duh, if we remember what the novels draw their inspiration from, what none of the reviews seem to do or at least mention...

Otherside Picnic is loosely based on the Russian sci-fi novel Roadside Picnic. Older of you might better remember it from another loosely based adaptation, the 1979 movie Stalker*. It also inspired a popular video game series.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(1979_film) (forum cuts url short...)

Last edited by Blanchimont on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Aside from those 4 you mentioned and Log Horizon, what shows are you including as isekai? There are other LN fantasy shows airing, but it doesn’t seem like those are isekai from their descriptions.

otherside picnic, boonies,redo of healer, hidden dungeon.

while making this list, i indeed noticed the huge amount of idol shows.
also, its very difficult to separate isekai from fantasy nowadays, especially because some isekai disguissed themselves as fantasy shows but in some point we learn isekaied people do exist, and yet one of the ones i am counting as isekai is actually a time travel story, completely disguised as an isekai.

Glancing at the previews, Otherside looks arguable, but I'll have to see for myself. The others don't seem really seem to fit, as in all of those cases, the characters have always lived in the fantasy world they inhabit, at least as far as the descriptions indicate.

Most straightforward is Boonies, which I agree with Rebecca is just straight fantasy. The character has always lived in the fantasy world, he's just ended up in the starter area after living in the last boss area. I wouldn't say I was isekai'd if I moved to, say, Ohio, so I don't think Boonies could be considered an isekai.

Redo of Healer is just a time travel story set in a fantasy world. Maybe in time travel stories like Inuyasha where they travel to a very different time which also has fantastical elements added that are not present in their own time could it arguably be called isekai (though even in that case I personally lean no), but by all indications, it seems to be the same fantasy world that they have always inhabited, just back 4 years or whatever. It is no more an isekai than Steins;Gate or any other time travel story.

Hidden dungeon I'd have to see to be certain, but it seems like the character has always lived in the fantasy world. Unless the titular dungeon is its own separate world, and not, well, a dungeon like you could find in many fantasy anime and games, I'd say it is just a fantasy.

All three do share some trends that are also found in modern isekai, but they all seem to lack the defining characteristic of it, namely being transported to or reincarnated in another world. There are cases where it might be difficult to draw the line, but I don't think any of those three are edge cases. Let's not shunt every LN power fantasy into the isekai bucket just because.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Hidden dungeon I'd have to see to be certain, but it seems like the character has always lived in the fantasy world. Unless the titular dungeon is its own separate world, and not, well, a dungeon like you could find in many fantasy anime and games, I'd say it is just a fantasy.

As Theron said just a bit above, Hidden Dungeon is plain old fantasy. (In two senses if you count "power fantasy.") It uses the game mechanics trope as part of its story, unlike Boonies, which just uses it as a reference, but even the eponymous dungeon is part of the world he grew up in.

dm, oh, that's right. I forgot that bit in the book; it's left out of the anime episode.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
You guys doing Cute Executive Officer? It was real good imo.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Otherside Picnic is a borderline case for counting, as is Combatants Will Be Dispatched!

Quick FYI, Combatants doesn't air until April.

Dark Mac wrote:

We don't do shorts for preview guide, or hentai. Pretty sure it's both and isn't legally streaming unless CoolMic has it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Otherside Picnic is loosely based on the Russian sci-fi novel Roadside Picnic. Older of you might better remember it from another loosely based adaptation, the 1979 movie Stalker*. It also inspired a popular video game series.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(1979_film) (forum cuts url short...)

I picked up the novels (and read all four of them) last week because Mike Toole mentioned Roadside Picnic on the ANN trailer-a-thon.

In the novels, there's one character who refers to the Otherside as the Zone, which is straight out of Roadside Picnic, and like the stalker in Stalker spoiler[tosses bolts ahead of him to detect "glitches". The Otherside Picnic novels don't pick up on "why bolts?", but Stalker shows the reason (you tie a ribbon through the bolt so you can find them on the ground as you walk past them for re-use).]

Last edited by dm on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

We don't do shorts for preview guide, or hentai. Pretty sure it's both and isn't legally streaming unless CoolMic has it up.

It's streaming on HIDIVE, and it's not hentai. Sentai will also stream it;
https://www.hidive.com/movies/cute-executive-officer
https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/a/news/sentai-recruits-cute-executive-officer-to-lineup
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
OH this isn't what I thought it was! I thought we were talking about
anime#23771
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I maybe loving the premiere too much for what it is, but “Boonies “ is such a wholesome, charming, sincere and funny fantasy story (surprisingly rare nowadays) that I can’t wait to watch more, in fact, I just purchased the Light Novels from my kindle 30 mins ago, so you can bet this adaptation did its job Cool

By the way, what is official shortcut for the show’s title? I mean something like Oreimo, Mahouka, Kimisen, so what’s for “Boonies”?

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Should be noted Cute Executive Officer is a 2-minute short, but the entire series was released together as a single 22 minute "episode" so doing a preview of it is kind of pointless.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
oh, but redo of healer ia not the "time travel story that is disguised as isekai" i was talking about btw.
but yeah, i can drop that point and talk about individual series.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

By the way, what is official shortcut for the show’s title? I mean something like Oreimo, Mahouka, Kimisen, so what’s for “Boonies”?

The review copy of the manga I got from the [English] publisher labels it SukiDun, so that's my guess.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I think I maybe loving the premiere too much for what it is, but “Boonies “ is such a wholesome, charming, sincere and funny fantasy story (surprisingly rare nowadays) that I can’t wait to watch more, in fact, I just purchased the Light Novels from my kindle 30 mins ago, so you can bet this adaptation did its job Cool

LasDan (RasuDan) aka Last Dungeon. The website is under that https://lasdan.com/

Surprised no reviewers mentioned the random dodgy cg in otherside picnic.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the CG but it looks like it's specifically being used for wide shots in movement. It's not great but the clips were just a few seconds long each time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22