• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shoujo Protagonist Appreciation Thread!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's talk about our favorite protagonists of shoujo anime and why we love them! Note that they don't necessarily have to be girls, although most shoujo protagonists are.

First, I want to talk about my best girl AND best boy of all time: Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura and Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou! These are similar characters, both defined by their kindness. What I love about them both is that they consider their magical/supernatural acquaintances to be friends and wish for their happiness. Sakura's cheerful and hopeful personality is uplifting, too, and encourages me in life to be more like her. What I love especially about Natsume is that he cares so deeply about all his friends, human and youkai alike, and stands up to those who generalize youkai as evil beings, like Matoba does. Plus, Natsume's personal journey of healing is inspiring to watch, because it helps me with my own healing journey.

I also want to talk about two shoujo isekai protagonists, Katarina Claes from My Next Life as a Villainess and Aoi Tsubaki from Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits. Both of these girls are also very kind, and their kindness helps improve the lives of others. What I adore about Katarina is that her small acts of kindness change the other character's lives for the better (we're shown what happens in the original game and how the characters aren't as happy because Katarina wasn't their supportive friend). Aoi is similar; her primary act of kindness is making food that others love, but I would also say that the food represents her offering of friendship and wish for the recipient's happiness, and it helps her forge connections. And let's not forget that spoiler[her reaching out to a lonely youkai saves a whole chunk of the world and makes everyone's bonds stronger].

There are so many other great protagonists I could mention (these aren't even all my favorites). I love shoujo protagonists because they emphasize friendship and kindness, which the world needs a lot more of.

Who are your protagonists in shoujo and why? And what are your thoughts on what I've said?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:08 am Reply with quote
Saeryen

Great minds think alike.....
From the Anime Hunting OP:

Anime with Strong Female Leads/Co-Leads?
I will admit to not finishing the updating.....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
I don't think it really counts as Shoujo, I think it is even published in shounen magazines, but when I think of Shoujo protagonist my mind just kind of goes to Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. Whether in regards to Chiyo Sakura, the main character who has the funny reactions to the shoujo like situations or observations. Or with Mikorin, who has a specific connection to the idea of a shoujo protagonist.

A favourite I think actual shoujo protaganist would be the titular Yona from Yona of the Dawn. I like how she is a main character that goes through a lot of growth, after having to face her own weaknesses of actually being a bit terrible.

Because I can't tell what is a Shoujo, I will throw in Nanoha Takamachi of the Lyrical Nanoha, probably more specifically the first couple of seasons, where it feels more prime magical girl. Mostly that she is just strong and I like her part in the lexicon of strong protaganist. Need some befriending.

What is not to love about Takeo Gouda from My Love Story, a rare male protagonist of a shoujo series. A big guy with a bigger heart.

Shirayuki from Snow White with the Red Hair is also worth mentioning.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
Not officially shoujo since it comes from novels, but I'll add Shurrei from Saiunkoku Monogatari to the list. Another vote for Shirayuki, too.

Many excellent female characters don't qualify as "shoujo" because they come from other material. Erin in Kemono no Sou-ja Erin is from a novel by Uehashi Nahoko (also the author of the Moribito series). Chihayafuru and Nodame Cantabile are josei so Chihaya and Nodame are excluded as well.

And while I know she is a beloved character to many, Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket drives me up the wall.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Cool topic!

My favourite shoujo protagonist is Kyoko Mogami from Skip Beat! I jumped at the chance to participate in the Skip Beat! Kickstarter even though a dub wasn't important to me. I just wanted to have a legitimate copy of it. I love Kyoko's fiesty attitude. One of my favourite lines from her is, "If apologies solved anything, there'd be no reason for Hell!" She's not passive in the least. Yeah, plucky works for me. I'm sorry the anime only adapted part of the manga series. I'm collecting the manga too, but haven't started reading it yet. It will be cool to get the story past where the anime left off.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I do love Yona too, she is awesome!

As for Tohru, I'm one of the ones who loves her a lot, mostly because I can relate to her wanting to be kind to others and to her healing journey. She's kind of similar to Natsume in that way, I think.

Saiunkoku's anime is on my watchlist, though I'm not sure where to watch legally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
As for Tohru, I'm one of the ones who loves her a lot, mostly because I can relate to her wanting to be kind to others and to her healing journey. She's kind of similar to Natsume in that way, I think.

That's a nice way of saying that she is nosy and meddlesome.

Quote:
Saiunkoku's anime is on my watchlist, though I'm not sure where to watch legally.

The only legal route at this point is to buy used copies of the Geneon version at places like eBay. They are, shall we say, a bit on the pricey side. I watched the fansubs when it was released and bought the DVD set when it became available. The DVD has issues with its decision to call Shurrei "Shurrei Hong" rather than "Shurrei Kou" because another clan has a name that sounds like Kou. Very confusing if you watch the subtitles since the characters all talk about "Kou Shurrei" and the subs translate it as "Shurrei Hong." Even though I own the DVDs, I prefer the fansubs.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

That's a nice way of saying that she is nosy and meddlesome.

Could you maybe not put down my opinion? I didn't quote you or imply you were trying to say anything you weren't, which is what you did just then. And it's kind of mean to say that when the person you're quoting says they see themselves in the character, which makes it sound personal even though it probably wasn't meant to be.

I really would rather there be no character bashing in this thread, only appreciation, mostly because character hate is upsetting to a lot of fans and I want to make something positive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Calling someone noisy and meddlesome is silly when they are actually interested in helping people who really do want someone to help with their emotional scars, or have some level of trauma that they need help with. Broadly using it against people could sound like something used against a child protective agency that is trying to help children from being actively abused.

Being able to show empathy for others, especially those who might even push back against attempts, is like a super power. Especially in regards to people who may be introverts and have a hard time opening up to others. It is one of the reasons that the shoujo genre is really nice.

Having talked to someone recently, I had become a little more interested in the shoujo series, Pretty Cure, which I have not seen any of but I am planning to check out the new series when it starts.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I suggest yuna49 that you do not speak for other people. You've made your opinions on Tohru clear, and from what I can recall many times over. You're certainly entitled to them, but others can have a different opinion. Especially without you putting words in their mouths.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
I apologize if my comments were viewed as out of line.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I apologize if my comments were viewed as out of line.

Thank you.

I wanted to add some more protagonists, and I must say I love the main characters of Healin’ Good Pretty Cure. They’re all so kind and determined, and I love each of their arcs; seeing them overcome their difficulties both in their magic battles and everyday life is inspiring.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Huh boy, sorry for the late post. xD

Shoujo is such my bread and butter...it would be much easier to list shoujo MCs I DON'T love:

-Miaka Yuuki
-most leads from Otome games because they are not characters; they are audience inserts.

But I love the rest; Maron, Yona, Sakura, Mitsuki, Meimi, Ahiru, Tohru, even Usagi....I care very much for each and every one of them.

One girl who I think needs more attention is Ririka from Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. Like Sakura, she is only ten years old. But man, she IS BADASS! She doesn't scare or cry easily; she leaps right into the action and puts up a decent fight. Only four episodes in...but I love the hell out of this heroine. xD And don't worry; she's not a bland Mary Sue like Disney keeps spewing out in their latest live-action remakes that nobody asked for.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Shoujo is such my bread and butter...it would be much easier to list shoujo MCs I DON'T love:

-Miaka Yuuki
-most leads from Otome games because they are not characters; they are audience inserts.

But I love the rest; Maron, Yona, Sakura, Mitsuki, Meimi, Ahiru, Tohru, even Usagi....I care very much for each and every one of them.

One girl who I think needs more attention is Ririka from Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. Like Sakura, she is only ten years old. But man, she IS BADASS! She doesn't scare or cry easily; she leaps right into the action and puts up a decent fight. Only four episodes in...but I love the hell out of this heroine. xD And don't worry; she's not a bland Mary Sue like Disney keeps spewing out in their latest live-action remakes that nobody asked for.

I’m so glad we share a love for magical girls! I adore Sakura, and I still oughta watch Princess Tutu, though I don’t know where I can see it right now, and I haven’t found a sub (which I personally prefer to dubs).

On that topic, I also now must add all the girls from Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure and Kira Kira Pretty Cure A La Mode to my list of faves. Also from Kira Kira, spoiler[Pikario and Bibury who redeem themselves. I adore Pikario especially]. And I’m right now watching Futari wa Pretty Cure, six episodes in and I love Honoka and Nagisa too. And I have to mention Alice from the manga Alice 19th, she’s so brave and inspiring.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

-Miaka Yuuki

Funny, I came in here to name Miaka as a character I love and saw this.

I used to be on the Miaka hate train but after watching Fushigi Yugi as an adult I am ready to defend her to my dying breath. The narrative isn’t often kind to her and she’s often punished for her attempts at showing agency, but she’s fun and scrappy and constantly trying her best. Sure, she’s not very bright and can be frustrating, but her pattern of trying and messing up and trying and messing up some more are wonderfully human. Fushigi Yugi is a coming-of-age story, after all, so she must make mistakes in order to grow and ultimately make amends. It’s beautiful.

I also have a deep love of Risa from Lovely Complex. She is unabashedly weird and loud and big. She takes up space when girls are encouraged to make themselves small. Her journey to realizing that’s okay, and that she can be lovable even when she’s being her big loud weird self, is excellent. She’s a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2