• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Laid-Back Camp Producer Details How They Avoided Making the Anime 'Too Moe'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into most "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but I did enjoy Laid-Back Camp a lot. The fact that the team behind the show actively tries not to emphasize the moe factor too much does make sense in that case; I find that when characters in this type of anime keep gushing about how cute another character is, it gets annoying because I feel like they're trying too hard to sell the moe appeal. There's nothing wrong with cute characters, obviously, but cuteness can feel too forced if you aren't careful. Laid-Back Camp feels like a good balance of cuteness and a real dedication to the hobby it focuses on (in this case, camping).
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see the anime but I love the manga. I have to say that "cute" is not a word that comes to mind when I think about Yurucamp. Looking back I can say sure, the characters can look cute sometimes, cute doggos abound, but cute isn't a word I would choose to describe it. The best word I can think of isn't even in English. It's Hygge. I suppose "comfy" gets close in English.

I've got nothing against Moe shows but it's nice that they were careful to prevent that from taking away from Yurucamp's feel.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the series, and this entire genre isn't my bag in general, but I sincerely appreciate creators trying to write actual characters instead of twee little moeblobs.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The characters were still much too moe to keep my interest, but I appreciate them at least trying to make it less moe...
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I have yet to see the anime but I love the manga. I have to say that "cute" is not a word that comes to mind when I think about Yurucamp. Looking back I can say sure, the characters can look cute sometimes, cute doggos abound, but cute isn't a word I would choose to describe it. The best word I can think of isn't even in English. It's Hygge. I suppose "comfy" gets close in English.

Comfy, pleasant, relaxed. The show is called "Laid-Back Camp" too, which is a pretty good title to describe the whole mental state of the kind of contentment that encompasses the word "Hygge".

Anyway, I've been following the manga, so all I can say is that it hopefully chooses to incorporate more of that. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Why does this show not have a disc release yet? Anime cry
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
This series came out around the same time as A Place Further than the Universe and I felt both those series felt different from your typical cute girls anime. It’s nice to read that Yuru Camp deliberately tried to appeal to more than just the Otaku market. Both these series ended up being favorites of mine.

Looking forward to Yuru Camp S2 this season
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
I like how the producer's understanding of moe is mostly yuri subtext or intimate fanservice in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1