• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Key President Teases Plans for Anime of Summer Pockets, Other Franchises

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Anytime I see a visual game adaptation, the first thing that crosses in my mind is the episode count. Since most of them require multiple cours to finish their whole stories (or they could rush it, and we already have too many causalities for that)

Rewrite the animation, the last Key visual novel adaptation, was a confusing mess which I can tell was rushed even as an anime-only. I wonder if Summer Pocket can at least fare better as a one-cour or two cour series? (Not all visual novels can afford the luxury of Clannad of having 4 cours, after all)
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Anytime I see a visual game adaptation, the first thing that crosses in my mind is the episode count. Since most of them require multiple cours to finish their whole stories (or they could rush it, and we already have too many causalities for that)

Rewrite the animation, the last Key visual novel adaptation, was a confusing mess which I can tell was rushed even as an anime-only. I wonder if Summer Pocket can at least fare better as a one-cour or two cour series? (Not all visual novels can afford the luxury of Clannad of having 4 cours, after all)

how did kanon and clannad have it so good during that time? Even Little Busters with its crappy adaptation got the whole meal set with a complete adaptation *and* all bonus routes and Kud Wafter animated.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Would love for them to get the Clannad/After Story and Kanon treatment. Flawed as it was, I would also be fine if they were treated like Air (nailing one important thing while rushing everything else). Just please not like the abomination that is the Rewrite adaptation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
After Rewrite and the less than stellar reception to Jun Maeda's anime originals, it would be nice to see an anime adaption of a Key property that does well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd be far more interested in a Harmonia OVA/movie than a Summer Pockets anime personally.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
I saw this earlier last week. Very excited to see. Summer Pockets was pretty good not as good as the others but better than Rewrite. Too many reused ideas, but a few really good strong routes.
Megiddo wrote:
I'd be far more interested in a Harmonia OVA/movie than a Summer Pockets anime personally.
I really just want Tomoyo After now. We've got almost everything else Anime hyper. Who knows what they will have in the works though
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Summer Pockets would at least have to have an After Story, but the main routes are too long for 1 cour and the "after story" is too short for a whole cour, so maybe 2 cour could work.

I'm going to be vague to avoid spoilers, but the biggest problem with adapting Summer Pockets is that, like most other Key titles, the fact that the MC is looping/going through alternate routes is plot relevant. If it weren't for that, I think you could have all the routes sequentially and none of them would contradict each other much. (The game even kind of encourages you to jump around)

Summer Pockets is a good story on its own, with really good character writing, but it is sooooo derivative of other Key works. So much that most of the twists are completely predictable if you've played/seen other Key titles, and Maeda didn't even write the thing. You'd think some new writers could bring in some new ideas...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1